Cheap RWD conversion

Posted by paintball4fun21, Aug 24, 2008
Drivetrain Tech - 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

1. paintball4fun21

paintball4fun21 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    onalaska, Wisconsin
    So i'm converting my extra 95 talon to RWD the cheap way just because I'm bored and have the time to do it...also I want to see how long it will last...ect.....I want to make the rear end stronger also.....Does anyone know where I can get stronger axles and maybe a link to a 4bolt rear end conversion? anything else I would want to make stronger? I already have a TRE spool and 2 broken front axles to plug the front holes(one of the front axles broke and also my wheel bearings are frozen on my rear axles....thus the reason for wanting stronger rear axles..because I will be buying new ones anyway)....any suggestions/help/parts advise would be great......the mods are 1050 injectors, 16g, 255walbro, exhaust, intake, FMIC, dsmlink, act2600, E85 tuned at 24psi
  2. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
    I'm not the expert on it but you're going to need to flip the engine 90 degrees, use a RWD trans and a RWD diff. Using the stock configuration minus the FWD axles is redundant, retains unecessary weight and is very weak.

Check out Jake's build.
  3. JayRolla

JayRolla Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Colorado Spring, Colorado
    Actually if you weld your center diff, cap off the axles like you say, then your fine. It will be stronger than it was before. I dont think anyone makes stronger rear axles yet, but with the tire spin you should be fine.
  4. paintball4fun21

paintball4fun21 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    onalaska, Wisconsin
    yea I know a few people who have done this and are on 3000 miles plus with no problems....both are around 300hp..........also Jakes build is pretty sweet
  5. DSM90AWD

DSM90AWD DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Bear, Delaware
    The Driveshaft Shop sells an upgraded bar for the rear axles in two HP flavours. Magnus Motorsports sells a nice tubular rear subframe that will keep the "fragile" 2G pumpkin in one piece (it ain't cheep though) :dsm:
  6. jemsoccer

jemsoccer Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    New Bern, North_Carolina
    I have heard a lot of people say this is not the best idea as the t-case and rear-end will not hold up. Not sure if any of them actually tried it, but let me know how long it lasts! I was contemplating making some kind of locking mechanism for the front axles to be able to switch it from AWD to RWD by a switch, or pins or something.
  7. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Philly, Pennsylvania
    We did that to my buddies awd spyder. Pulled out the front axles to make it RWD just to see what it was like. 2 weeks later the rear axles snapped from all the stress and power it was given. And this was only on 300hp. Good luck with it lasting if your using the stock configuration. You better off going with a real rwd conversion and a ford 9" rear.
  8. e85_4g63

e85_4g63 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Manheim, Pennsylvania
    I know this is an old thread (ok, thanks). My question is though, why do you need to weld the center diff?
  9. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
    If you don't weld the center diff, it will try to drive the less resistance located at the missing front axles and the car will surge forward when the viscous center diff locks up. Then almost freewheel for a split second when it cools. It'll feel like an inch worm going down the road until the center diff blows up, which I doubt will take too long under that kind of abuse.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1478960-post1.html