The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Main and Rod bearing lube question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKL

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2006
Phila, Pennsylvania
I'm working on assembling my short block and had a question. I been reading the hayes manual and just a bit unsure. Do you lube both surfaces of the main bearing mating to the crank and the block or just the surface mating to the crank journal? It also says lube the thrust bearing and I'm not sure what they're referring to. I know the 6 bolt has a built on thrust bearing. Hayes states only lube the rod bearings surface matting to the crank and not the Rods. I did put some lube on all surfaces of the bearings and now i'm wondering if i should clean it off on the spot not allowed. I only want replies from people who has successfully rebuilt short blocks. Thanks
-Joon

only lube the top portions that touch the crank not the bottom that goes on the rod, block or girdle. I just finished whipping and cleaning my mistake yesterday for hours. make sure you clean off very very clean with a very clean cloth.

Thanks guys. I wiped off all the lube off w/a shirt. I didn't use any cleaning agent, but just the wipe should be sufficient right? Thanks to this site and all the helpful members, I was able to complete the rebuild and hopefully this is the last time I have to do this.

Thanks guys. I wiped off all the lube off w/a shirt. I didn't use any cleaning agent, but just the wipe should be sufficient right?

No! Use brake cleaner & lint-free rags to remove all traces of lubricant from the bearing mount surfaces; you dont want to give them any encouragement to spin. Once all surfaces are clean & degreased (both bearings and mounts), you can mount them in place solidly. Use plenty of assembly lube on all of the rotating contact surfaces (don't forget the middle main's thrust surfaces) to ensure proper lubrication during the initial start-up.

I just made this same mistake. Appreciate the help guys, wish I had researched it before I did it. Gonna be another one of those nights tonight...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back