The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Burning oil, but compression is good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight007

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2005
cookeville/murfreesboro, Tennessee
Ok i have a 95 eclipse with roughly 160,000 miles on it. I haven't done any internals yet so heres my problem.

im burning oil like crazy i burned about 4 qts. in about an hours drive of not getting on it but interstate cruising. I did a compression test and leak down tested. On the number 1 cylnder it was 250, #2 was 230, #3 was 230, and #4 was 250. It also didnt leak. Now it smokes at idle and driving but not alot. My spark plugs are black but there wasnt any oil on them. Im also not burning coolant.

Any help would be appreciated.

knight007 said:
Ok i have a 95 eclipse with roughly 160,000 miles on it. I haven't done any internals yet so heres my problem.

im burning oil like crazy i burned about 4 qts. in about an hours drive of not getting on it but interstate cruising. I did a compression test and leak down tested. On the number 1 cylnder it was 250, #2 was 230, #3 was 230, and #4 was 250. It also didnt leak. Now it smokes at idle and driving but not alot. My spark plugs are black but there wasnt any oil on them. Im also not burning coolant.

Any help would be appreciated.

its obviously not a compresiion problem with those numbers. I would say you should probably replace you valve stem seals. especially if it smokes when you first start the car.
also make sure the spark plug hole seals on the valve cover gasket arent shot.

^^^^ I agree, I had the same problem. And redoing my whole head fixed the problem. Now you dont have to go to the extreme I did. But I thought that this was an excelent time to rework my head. Also make sure you replace your spark plug seals and your valve cover selas they are cheap..and very important. Good Luck:thumb:

Agreed to above posts. In the mean time ive been using thicker oil with additives with/or lucas treatment and it reduced my consumption by around 40-60 percent.

I also agree, but you might consider buying a remanufactured head that's all ready to go, save cams. It will likely cost a bit more, but you can swap heads (don't forget the head gasket and timing belt stuff - maybe an oil or water pump while you're at it) in an afternoon and be back on the road with a spare head that you can either modify for performance in the future or sell to recoup some money. Blown valve seals are no reason why a used head should fetch anything less than average money.

Ok I went home but before i head to take the head off i had to get it home so i put some oil in it and checked that started it up and it drove great i am confused beyond believe. I didnt burn any oil and i drove it all weekened a good 30 miles a day. Im lost??

knight007 said:
Ok I went home but before i head to take the head off i had to get it home so i put some oil in it and checked that started it up and it drove great i am confused beyond believe. I didnt burn any oil and i drove it all weekened a good 30 miles a day. Im lost??

Hopefully you have oil pressure LOL. j/k.

hey cars do wierd things it will probably start burning oil again soon. I would suggest you run some seafoam through the motor. use some vacuum hose and suck up about half the can through the pcv valve to intake manifold hole. shut the car off immedatly for about 5 minutes and then restart it. drive the crap out of it for 15 minutes and burn it all out. then re-check for your previous symptoms.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back