The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil feed, head or OFH (confused)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowdrag

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Ok, bringing it back.

My PTE5031 JB just failed on me less than 500 miles. I am feeding it from the head with a inline filter. Sent it back to PTE and they concluded that it failed due to lack of lubrication, (not sure if they are stretching the truth a bit). They said it will be under warranty and ask me to feed it from the OFH next time. They also said that their recommendations are: BB are to be fed from the Head and JB are to be fed from the OFH because JB needs more oil pressure than the BB.

So should I go back to the OFH? This is insane:ohdamn:.

Thanks,

All

From my experience, what they are saying is correct. BB gets fed from head and JB from OFH. JB needs more oil pressure AND more volume of oil. BB only need light film of oil, in fact too much oil will slow the spool time....that is what I was told when I was talking to the tech at FP. I was always using a JB FP green, when I switched to the FP-3052 BB turbo, they had me feed from the head and also use an inline filter with a restrictor.

Some guys feed from the head with no problem on any journal bearing turbo, some feed from the head and it dies instantly.

Move the feed to the filter housing and it will probably fail from too much oil. That's the problem with DSM's....the head feed often gives no more than 35psi at wide-open throttle, the filter housing feed can give over 100psi at wide-open throttle because the filter housing is so close to the pump.

What you need to do is ask PTE what the maximum pressure requirement is for the turbo you're running, then use restriction if necessary to dial in your pressure at the inlet of the turbo to fit their requirement. If they cannot answer this for you, they should not be selling turbochargers.

From my experience, what they are saying is correct. BB gets fed from head and JB from OFH. JB needs more oil pressure AND more volume of oil. BB only need light film of oil, in fact too much oil will slow the spool time...
This blanket assumption isn't entirely true. Any stock MHI turbo is fed from the head with a restrictor built into the banjo end at the turbo on any DSM or Lancer Evolution, so the oiling requirement of a MHI turbo is obviously much less than their Garrett counterpart.

I have used a few different BEP turbo's, never had a failure and I always feed from the OFH with a -4, and I have a -10 return line.

IT is EXTREMELY important that your drain has no 90 deg bends and is nice and smooth with no kinks.

Oil pressure is important too, I don't see over 75psi at any time. I ported my relief valve on my oil pump.

Another tip, if you have a new engine, use a inline filter on the turbo feed line, I just keep them on there during break in, then when I do my break-in oil change, I remove the filter.

Thanks for the comments.

jusmx141 has a valid question. That will be my next question to ask when they ship the turbo back out to me.

Maybe this will be my last PTE Turbo, I heard too many horror stories about them. I was lucky on my first PTE5031 JB, it lasted 10k miles feed from the head with inline filter but this turbo was also bought many many years ago when the quality was there.

I've never ran a PTE but i hear about a lot of them failing on here. I've arn a garret 57 trim for over 120K miles now being fed from the head, no filter just a regular changing of oil and it's filter and only running sythetics.

Something i ALWAYS do when installing a turbo is when i get everything done i leave the oil return for last... then i start the car and use a big plastic cup from the corner store to catch the oil... if i get what looks to be good flow or about a half to full cup in 30 seconds or so I call it good and hook it up, no failures on anythign i've done yet, I think a lot of people are overcomplicating something because turbnos have been used for ages now on all kinds of machines, boats, big rigs and more and i've never sen as much "special oiling parts" as i see people using on DSM's (just my 2 cent )

Did you get installation instructions with it? Mine clearly stated to run the feed from the OFH when my 6262 JB unit arrived last month.
I ran my 5031 JB unit for over 2 years with no problem from the OFH but I did port it out to drop the oil pressure after receiving this advice direct from PTE.
Hope it helps.
Tim,

Max oil pressure is a somewhat debatable topic. I have seen turbo's hold over 100 psi no problem. Would I recommend that? No. I would like to see no more than 65-70 psi.

-10 is what is recommended for a drain. Just make sure that you are not using any 90* elbows as they hinder the gravity draining quite a bit. Another thing to make sure of is that your turbo is clocked correctly so that the drain is facing straight down, ± 5*.

A -4 oil feed is what like to see run on the feed side.

Let me know if there are any other questions that I can help you with.

Jeremy

my head feed actually uses half the OEM (1g) feed line and banjo bolt, then i have some -4 compresion coupled to it with some stuff from the hydraulics store. I"ll see if i cna get a pic with my phone that's good enough to post

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back