The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Read me if you're running an inline filter on a journal bearing turbo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
It's been brought to my attention that a run of journal bearing turbochargers have been dying prematurely when using an Earl's -4AN inline oil filter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This has been proven on identical journal bearing turbos built by two different companies....a PTE 6031E and a Turbonetics 60-1. Neither turbo lasted longer than 1000 miles with the oil feed line at the filter housing or the head.

Can anyone else confirm turbocharger failure when using this filter inline on their journal bearing turbo?

Allow me to explain the different circumstances for each turbo.

- The 6031E was fed from both the filter housing and the head, and died a total of (4) times....the last being catastrophic. An Earl's inline filter was used the entire time the turbo was on the car- the last time that turbo puked, the car was on a long distance trip with lots of off-boost driving. Each time the turbo died there was never evidence of any metal making it to the turbo, and the filter was spotless everytime it was disassembled.

- The Turbonetics 60-1 was being fed from the head with the Earl's inline filter. Prior to this turbo being installed, the owner was using a SBR G60 fed from the head without the filter, and it lasted almost an entire season and had ZERO shaft play when it was removed. The Turbonetics turbo was mounted, and the car was driven approximately 300 miles....the most recent being 1-1/2 hour drive to my shop from Maryland in which the car barely hit boost, and the turbo was unexpectedly pronounced dead upon arrival at my shop.

I'm seeing a pattern when the Earl's inline filter is used and the cars are driven distances at low RPM (and lower oil pressure than wide-open throttle) the turbos are dying from lack of oil, and I felt it should be discussed.

You don't run a filter on the journal bearing turbos.

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP -4 AN Inline Filter

"We get many requests for an inline oil filter to use with the ball bearing turbos and other turbos we offer. So we created 2 very useful inline oil filters. These filters are color coded for their orifice diameter. The black filter is used in ball bearing applications and has a .030" restrictor, while the Red filter is .100" for full flow journal bearing turbos."

They made one just for JB turbos.

If your not breaking in your motor, then I wouldn't run one.

I also just talked to a female, and a guy (on the second call) at extremepsi about this when I ordered my oil feed line. This was just a few days ago. It was mentioned not to run one on my JB turbo(SCM61). I wanted to order a filter with mine, they and many others recommended I don't.

Our kit (extremepsi) includes:

- Braided Steel Line (-4 AN)
- Earls 15 Micron Filter <- Was recommended not to use.
- Turbo Fitting
- Aeroquip Fittings
- Crush Washers

I have never ran one because of this reason.

If your having problems with the filter, take it off and don't use one. You are already blowing turbos, what is taking it off gonna hurt.

Or order one from FP, see how that one works out for you.

If you are still having problems, then there is something else wrong.

"Usage information:

Remember that the filter can become clogged. While you may have prevented a turbo failure by filtering out contaminants, you can CAUSE a failure by limiting oil supply through a plugged oil line filter. Check the filter regularly, inspect the filter whenever you perform an engine oil change. Turbo failures resulting from plugged filters are the responsibility of the user.

The user is responsible for verifying that sufficient oil pressure is present at the turbo oil inlet. Turbo failures resulting from over restriction of the oil feed line is the responsibility of the user."

I smoked a 362 using one, But I'm not exactly sure what my issue was. I still have to pull the filter apart and check it out. I believe I ran it off the wrong port on my new 90' style housing, which in turn may have fed it unfiltered oil, causing the earls to act as the only filter and clogged it..

Either way the turbo only lasted a hand full of hours before some shaft play developed. So I caught it early and rebuilt it. Haven't fired it back up since though. My plan was to change the port and continue to use a filter. But we'll see. Is it a reusable element in the earls? I was searching around for a replacement element, and could only find one labeled for fuel, which was too restrictive for use with oil, so that led me to believe the oil element may be reuable, but I haven't opened it up yet.

I was running a .093 restrictor on it as well, But I don't believe it affected it at all.

What about those of us without balance shafts? Shouldn't we be using a filter at all times with a jb turbo fed from the filter housing?

I'm currently using the FP Red (.100") 10 micron filter on my journal bearing BW S256. The filter is inspected and changed each time I change my oil. This setup has been through a spun bearing without any noticeable issues. Part of my inspection during the oil changes is also to check for shaftplay, and there is still zero shaftplay about one year and 5000 miles later.

I was actually told directly by David from BEP to run a filter/restrictor on this turbo.

I'm wondering if this only applies to the Earl's inline filters.

Another thing I've noticed is most Earl's filters have a decal on them displaying flow direction. The one I removed from my buddy's car yesterday did not have this decal on it. FP claims their filters can be installed in either direction, but I'm wondering what are the chances of the Earl's filter not flowing properly if it were installed backward.

2 cents worth. . . . . .
I recently installed a srb g60 with an inline fed from the head. Balance shafts are removed and I have pretty low oil perssure at idle but the turbo has zero shaft play with at leas 2500 mile on it. By the way the filter is one that was supplied to me by Oliver over at slow boy.

So this dose have me a little concerned, I hope people continue this thread.

I'm wondering if this only applies to the Earl's inline filters

That is the same filter that comes with extremepsi kit, and said not to use, so now I'm wondering the same.

I would like someone to report back after using the FP JB filter.

I'm wondering if this only applies to the Earl's inline filters.

Another thing I've noticed is most Earl's filters have a decal on them displaying flow direction. The one I removed from my buddy's car yesterday did not have this decal on it. FP claims their filters can be installed in either direction, but I'm wondering what are the chances of the Earl's filter not flowing properly if it were installed backward.

There was only one direction to install it that made sense to me, but now that I think about the way the screw is designed it would work just as well in the opposite direction. Hell, the pictures on their website show it set up in the opposite direction.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To clarify, I have it set up so the back side is connected off the filter housing, and the side closer to you goes to the turbo.

Something else worth mentioning is that the oil feed adapter flange that BEP sells for the Borg Warner turbos actually has a restrictor built into it, so I'm technically running two. The flange restrictor is smaller than the one in the FP filter.

Hmm well this is a dilema. I had a motor rebuilt and it chewed up my turbo a while back. Now I got the motor built again and the turbo I'm using already has some shaft play. I was going to rebuild it, or have Justin rebuild it and then put it on my fresh motor.

From what I'm hearing, the break in procedure on the motor will kill my journals (again). What should I do? I got a fresh motor (not running yet) and a JB turbo with some shaft play that I was going to have rebuilt.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tom

A lot of people I know got an old trashy 14b or T25 and ran that during engine break-in to avoid that problem. The filter may help, and while 10 microns is pretty damn small, there is so much junk washed through the oil that will still get through.

Using an inline filter while changing the oil early and often will help. We broke a motor in on a brand new 16g with a FP oil filter. I know there was tons of crap floating around in the oil, but by changing the oil and filter often and checking the inline filter for clogs I think we were able to prevent any damage. That same turbo almost put the car into the 11s (needed a driver mod... :coy:) and ran like a champ until we upgraded itl

So what steps should I take to break in the motor properly without killing the turbo?

Also, should I be using an inline filter and if so, then should I avoid the Earl's filter?

Does anyone know a good write up on this topic?

Thanks,

Tom

PS: Sorry to hijack the thread. :(

I start it up after a build, run 25 minutes, stop, change the oil, oil filter and check the turbo filter, run another 50 miles or so, repeat, 500 miles, repeat and then get into my regular oil changes.

I smoked a 362 using one, But I'm not exactly sure what my issue was. I still have to pull the filter apart and check it out. I believe I ran it off the wrong port on my new 90' style housing, which in turn may have fed it unfiltered oil, causing the earls to act as the only filter and clogged it..

Either way the turbo only lasted a hand full of hours before some shaft play developed. So I caught it early and rebuilt it. Haven't fired it back up since though. My plan was to change the port and continue to use a filter. But we'll see. Is it a reusable element in the earls? I was searching around for a replacement element, and could only find one labeled for fuel, which was too restrictive for use with oil, so that led me to believe the oil element may be reuable, but I haven't opened it up yet.

I was running a .093 restrictor on it as well, But I don't believe it affected it at all.

I have a forward facing housing as well so this has me concerned. Where did you connect it the first time and where did you connect it the second time? Basically I want to know where the wrong place is and where the right place is? Could you post pics?

I have a 0.080 restrictor also. Should I run it or go without?

Lastly, I have jsut had my motor built. Should I run a filter just for the break in and then remove it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

What about those of us without balance shafts? Shouldn't we be using a filter at all times with a jb turbo fed from the filter housing?

Just curios as to why? Do balance shafts cause some other negative effect besides high oil pressure. What difference does it make?

Thanks,

Tom

Just curios as to why? Do balance shafts cause some other negative effect besides high oil pressure. What difference does it make?

Thanks,

Tom

Removed BS give you higher oil pressure at the OFH.

Removed BS give you higher oil pressure at the OFH.

I'm aware of that but what I want to know is if there are other problem caused by BS removal or high oil pressure at OFH. I get 30-40 psi at idle and well over 100 when boosting. Is the high oil pressure causing damage?

Thanks,

Tom

15 micron is pretty small. I'm running a 40 micron filter in my fuel system and even those look small. I asked SBR when I bought my turbo if I should run a filter. They recommended not to as well.

15 micron is pretty small. I'm running a 40 micron filter in my fuel system and even those look small. I asked SBR when I bought my turbo if I should run a filter. They recommended not to as well.

Are you still running the BP 50 trim journal bearing turbo?
Did you do an engine rebuild and if so, how did you protect the turbo?
How many miles has the turbo been running?
Still no shaft play?
Are you feeding from the oil filter housing?
BS removed?
What's your oil pressure like?
Are you running a restrictor on the turbo?

Sorry about all the questions. :)

Thanks,

Tom

I'm aware of that but what I want to know is if there are other problem caused by BS removal or high oil pressure at OFH. I get 30-40 psi at idle and well over 100 when boosting. Is the high oil pressure causing damage?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes it/you can damage a turbo with too much oil pressure.

Is your turbo smoking?

If not then no worries.

If it is, then you have too much oil pressure at the OFH and it is blowing past the seals. Think about getting a restrictor.

Rule of thumb, BB at the head, JB at the OFH, maybe needing a restrictor.

Some people will argue this until they are blue in the face.

BB turbos do not need all that oil, or you'll get bearing float (I think I used the right term there, if not you should know what I mean).

Yes is can damage a turbo with too much oil pressure.

Is your turbo smoking?

If not then no worries.

If it is, then you have too much oil pressure at the OFH and it is blowing past the seals. Think about getting a restrictor.

Rule of thumb, BB at the head, JB at the OFH, maybe needing a restrictor.

Some people will argue this until they are blue in the face.

BB turbos do not need all that oil, or you'll get bearing float (I think I used the right term there, if not you should know what I mean).

I've developed shaft play on two different turbos (V-Trim and 57 Trim both BP) withing 2500 miles total. 2500 miles and two turbo's and a motor were shot shot. The V-Trim was worse but it ran for more miles. The car was smoking but I don't know if it was the turbo. The whole motor fell apart, and had to be rebuild. The main and thrust bearing got chewed apart and the turbo bearings were chewed up too (speaking of the V-Trim). I haven't checked the 57 trim yet as I just discovered the shaft play.

Tom

im running my borg warner s258 with no filter, from the filter housing with balance shafts eliminated. However, there is a restrictor on my turbo.

No smoking problems here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back