The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Common questions and discussions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Are you tired of seeing the same questions over and over? Help us ease this issue by listing the topic here and also listing a link that points to a past thread discussing the same thing - preferrably a thread that has the answer to the question. Please reply to this thread with your topics and links to old threads that contain the answers. Thanks!

I think that rather than FAQ (which we sort of already have), we should build a sort of tuning "checklist." Basically, have a list of things new users should do before they tune (plugs, wires, pressure test, FPR overrun, etc), and then link them to the tuning guides on this website. Also, there are some guides to dataloggers and such that could be utilized.

Then, we could make a list of common problems that arise when tuning, like fuel cut, etc.

With this kind of a sticky, a lot of post would be answered right away, and people would know exactly what order to work in.

Originally posted by kpt4321
I think that rather than FAQ (which we sort of already have), we should build a sort of tuning "checklist." Basically, have a list of things new users should do before they tune (plugs, wires, pressure test, FPR overrun, etc), and then link them to the tuning guides on this website. Also, there are some guides to dataloggers and such that could be utilized.

Then, we could make a list of common problems that arise when tuning, like fuel cut, etc.

With this kind of a sticky, a lot of post would be answered right away, and people would know exactly what order to work in.
I like it - maybe this could be written and posted as an article? Then we could link to the article from the Tuning Guides, here in the forum, and in other places? The article could be a combination of a written article with links off to threads here on our site, as well as other appropriate resources (threads on other sites, etc). Then we could post a thread in this forum and sticky it at the top simply pointing to that article?

I was thinking more of posting it here as a thread and stickying it, but whatever floats your boat.:thumb:

Originally posted by kpt4321
I was thinking more of posting it here as a thread and stickying it, but whatever floats your boat.:thumb:
Well that way it's archived and filed in a place where others can find it too. Either way - it doesn't matter. We can always copy it to both places...

Well, I like this idea. I'm going to start working on some material tonight (maybe) or early next week.

If anyone else wants their own stuff, or whatever, go for it! We can get it all organized in the end.

This is a great idea! I'm new to tuning and a ways off before I start (as far as mods go) but I really want to learn as much about it as possible before I even think about beginning to tune my car. I try to read the articles in here on tuning but some (most) of them are so over my head I don't know what's going on. I know I just need to be taught the foundation basics of tuning and from there could start to understand the finer points but the basics are tought to find on the forums. Any help with this would be appreciated by more than just me I'm sure. Thanks, -J

Hey Kyle - another thought - what if we add some type of explanation or comparison citing the differences between the tuning of our cars and the tuning of other popular cars (like Camaros and Mustangs). The fact that there are few aftermarket options for the tuning aspect of our cars forces us to do things differently. The majority of the DSM crowd uses a piggyback tuning method that "tricks" the ECU to achieve the desired effect, as to where other cars have the luxury of being able to simply reconfigure the ECU via chips and flashing, which is usually much more effective and the ideal way of doing it. Standalone engine management is available for our cars and is the ideal solution, but is very expensive and more complex.

Never tuned in my life! And whats why I'm posting this to see how its coming along with the kinda DSM Tuning FAQ guide you are making. It seems like a harsh step from adding turbos, FMIC's, fuel-pumps, then to learn about timing - where it should be, o2V, and so forth. Can't wait to understand rather... :coy:

I really like the idea here...but are there ever going to be any posts or links? Not critizing or anything, just wonderin how its comin

Nice Idea :thumb: ,
Iam new in tuning too...just completed 50 trim setup and want make some serious tuning with serious power!
Since I check money for DSMlink have to tune with MafT setup :( and Datalogger..that´s my Pain!
next,I don´t know which values are right.
O2sensor..which value is right/best
A/F..?
Of course I read tons of threads in here,but ..need some tables with ideal values.

You Gurus in tuning can make some threads or links just for one type...
-SAFC tuning,
-DSMlink,
-Maf Translator
-Standalones

thanks for space

Im new to the tuning options for dsm and was wondering what I should start with? I know of dsmlink and AEM.... but what is the eprom ecu that i see for sale in some places? Is that needed for dsmlink??

Thanks for the help!

Im new to the tuning options for dsm and was wondering what I should start with? I know of dsmlink and AEM.... but what is the eprom ecu that i see for sale in some places? Is that needed for dsmlink??

Thanks for the help!

This isn't really the proper thread for this question but yes, an EPROM ECU is required for dsmlink. The folks over at ECMtuning can also convert 1990-1997 DSM non-EPROM ECU's to EPROM. Check out their website for more info: ECMTuning, Inc.

would it be at all possible to create a "sticky" inregardes to what is needed for the tuning prep. such as, if your going to be using Ceddy or EVO reflash and maybe also ECMLink. a list of what is required before you can tune with each system - such as, what cables are required, and if the ECM needs to be repinned and maybe a link to said process of repinning, or if it is infact a flashable ECM , and other comman things like, changing out the spark plugs, etc.
i'm to the piont that i'm ready to get my talon tuned, and i'm not wanting to show up at the tuner only to find out i need something else done before i can proceed. something along this line would be of great help to any new tuner, and would save a ton of time not having to search for the info. because it would be in one easy to find spot. just my 2cents. thanks.

would it be at all possible to create a "sticky" inregardes to what is needed for the tuning prep. such as, if your going to be using Ceddy or EVO reflash and maybe also ECMLink. a list of what is required before you can tune with each system - such as, what cables are required, and if the ECM needs to be repinned and maybe a link to said process of repinning, or if it is infact a flashable ECM , and other comman things like, changing out the spark plugs, etc.
i'm to the piont that i'm ready to get my talon tuned, and i'm not wanting to show up at the tuner only to find out i need something else done before i can proceed. something along this line would be of great help to any new tuner, and would save a ton of time not having to search for the info. because it would be in one easy to find spot. just my 2cents. thanks.
Sounds like a good Tech Article to have someone write up. If someone writes it up and posts in the Tech section I'd have no problem creating a sticky for it here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back