The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ohlins coilovers now available for the 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Yup, that's not a typo. Anyone who knows anything about racing suspensions has heard of Ohlins. It's the best you can get. And no, they didn't just come out with a kit for us 1g guys, not for these old ass cars. No, the kit is actually made for the Evo and since the Evo has a very similar suspension design to the 1g, you can basically take anything made for the Evo and modify it to fit the 1g.

A company most of us in the road racing arena knows of, Muellerized, has done the development on this kit. Many of you know Muellerized as the shop who supplied Greg Collier with his JIC coilovers for his NASA championship Laser. Mueller has been heavily involved in the Evo scene and has had some great success in that market with his suspensions solutions. He's continued to offer coilovers to the DSM community but fewer DSMers buy the good stuff these days, opting for cheap crap that doesn't perform well on the track.

So if you're a 1g guy who doesn't mind spending more than your car is worth on a set of coilovers, knowing that it takes money to get the best, you now have an option from Muellerized, and it's 10 times better than anything anyone has ever run on a 1g. We're talking super car type coilovers folks. I know some will have a tough time justifying the purchase, but think about it this way - buying a set of Ohlins for any car will be expensive, and in most cases more expensive than this. The 1g is a cheap platform to make really fast on the road course and we now have options available to us to make these cars compete with anything on the track, anything. I'm hoping to have my kit before next spring.

Contact Muellerized, and let them know you heard about it on DSMtuners:
Contact Muellerized

Show them that we do have a good number of road racers here that value quality kits. The more we spend on good stuff, the better chances we have at getting more options made for us.

I have been running a modified EVO 9 set on my GVR4 for about 4000 miles and I love them. Setting them all the way soft is still a firm ride, but not that bad. Haven't had them on a track yet, but can't wait to. I was able to pick them up new from a local guy that had purchased them and decided after bolting them on that he was going to go a different direction with his car. I paid $2300 for them. Probably spent another $120 in rod ends and bolts to make them fit and maybe 4 hours fabrication time.......Well worth the investment!

Man tell them to do some more MODIFYING and get us a set for the 2g.

On one hand, this is majorly cool for those with 1Gs. On the other hand, it's kind of unfortunate that you have to deal with Mueller and all his secrecy nonsense to get them. Or will he actually tell you the spring-rates and valving without you having to have them measured?

Oh man, I'm listening, and super interested. But I have to get my car running again first.

Any more info you can post up? How would these compare to KW V3?
Just do some Google searches on Ohlins and you'll see. KW is known to be pretty good stuff, better than almost anything we have available for our cars. But Ohlins is considered to be MUCH better. It's the cream of the crop.

Just to clarify, Ohlins is Penske standard, KW is a few notches above above Koni.

That's like comparing a Ferrari to a DSM.

Of course, Ohlins are bespoke just like Penske, so the dampers are only as good as the guy who built them - what experience does (s)he have in your discipline, that's what really matters at this level...

Charles

Living proof that this setup is available:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mueller has been using my Talon as a test mule for this setup. Let me tell you, it's a night and day difference from the JICs! He let me take it home for the weekend after only minor setup and tweaks, and not only did it handle noticeably better than the JICs, but the ride quality was AMAZING! It felt like a Cadillac suspension compared to the JICs. The car also feels much more stable over uneven surfaces mid-turn. I can be going full tilt WOT through an on-ramp and hit a bump or uneven section in the pavement and the car doesn't even flinch. It just stays right in line and continues to track where you pointed it. I love my JICs, but they can get scary at the limit. You really have to be ready to correct when you hit any imperfections in the road. Not so with the Ohlins setup. JICs just can't hold up to the newer R&D that has gone into modern suspension setups like Ohlins.

There is huge potential in this setup. This opens up a door to a whole new world in handling for our cars. I for one am definitely investing in Ohlins for my car after Mueller gave me a taste of what they're capable of. I know there's a good amount of 1G guys out there that are serious about making their car handle (just look at some of the posts in the handling tech and fabrication sections). Hit up Muellerized... if you're ready to take your 1G to the next level of handling.

Last edited:
Dang, and here I just talked the wife into letting me do a Koni/GC combo LOL

So I know these are the best option for us now, I'm assuming Hotbits like pricing?

Dang, and here I just talked the wife into letting me do a Koni/GC combo LOL

So I know these are the best option for us now, I'm assuming Hotbits like pricing?
I can't remember what the Hotbits pricing was like, but these are probably more. Not easy to justify the price of these when they'll cost more than the blue book value of the car. But the way I see it, these will likely go a long way in making a 1g out-handle most modern day performance cars on the track, while being more compliant than any other suspension available for our cars on the street.

Interesting something to look at, still have a lot to work on with my tsi, but looking for a suspension upgrade, ill have to do some more looking, and pricing.

Not easy to justify the price of these when they'll cost more than the blue book value of the car...

I keep hearing this, but there's a few more things out there that cost more than the kbb value of our cars:

- FP Garrett turbo setup
- Built 2.0 or 2.3L long block from a number of popular shops
- A decent paint job

I know a lot of people running one or more of the above 3 options. Very few 1G owners buy a one as an investment. I understand the hesitation of dumping a lot of money into one (hence the reason I have yet to get mine painted), but the satisfaction you get from being able to out perform Evo, STi, BMW, and Porsche owners is second to none.

...But the way I see it, these will likely go a long way in making a 1g out-handle most modern day performance cars on the track, while being more compliant than any other suspension available for our cars on the street.
I can attest to this. My JICs out-performed stock Evo and STi handling, and the Ohlins gripped much better and had such a smoother ride. Can't wait to be running this setup.

I keep hearing this, but there's a few more things out there that cost more than the kbb value of our cars:

- FP Garrett turbo setup
- Built 2.0 or 2.3L long block from a number of popular shops
- A decent paint job

I know a lot of people running one or more of the above 3 options. Very few 1G owners buy a one as an investment. I understand the hesitation of dumping a lot of money into one (hence the reason I have yet to get mine painted), but the satisfaction you get from being able to out perform Evo, STi, BMW, and Porsche owners is second to none.

I can attest to this. My JICs out-performed stock Evo and STi handling, and the Ohlins gripped much better and had such a smoother ride. Can't wait to be running this setup.
Haha, yes, but most people in this community can justify trying to make big power. The ones that do spend money will spend it on turbos and motor builds. I wish I saw more DSMers taking as much pride in their suspension (and paint and wheels and everything else) as they do their power output. These cars can be made to handle very well if people just put more effort and quality parts into them and not just opting for cheap shocks and lowering springs.

Anyway, hope to see some people going with these kits. If you like FP-like quality for your suspension, this is it.

Ah nice my dsm needs a paint job but that can wait, i need tires now rims are in the works, maybe ill wait for the suspension, until next fall. Been looking just couldnt figure out what i want for this thing.

I'm extremely jealous of this forthcoming bolt on solution. If it was a choice between these and KW's, it'd be Ohlins any day of the week!

Pretty much any actual race shock shop can rebuild Ohlins and get parts for them vs. KW or JIC (an issue I'm running into with my old JICs), or even Koni.

Going through the parts library there might be hope for 2G's:

(This is from a Mini Cooper). Whether or not this fits the shock fork up front (looks like the diameter is a little too big), it would be feasible with some custom machining (although by then you could have anything though, yeah?)

Although one of my other thoughts was to take my JIC setup's outer bodies and jam a real race shock inside (eg bilstein/ohlins/penske).

Just do some Google searches on Ohlins and you'll see. KW is known to be pretty good stuff, better than almost anything we have available for our cars. But Ohlins is considered to be MUCH better. It's the cream of the crop.

Both KW and Ohlins have a 7-post shaker rig, and I guarantee you if you spend the same amount of money at KW that you do at Ohlin, it'd probably be impossible to tell the difference.

There are levels of damper manufacturers, and KW is right up there with Ohlins, Moton, Koni, and Penske if you want to spend the money. They all have championships under their belts. KW just offers much lower priced systems in addition to their high-end kits.

Anyway, I'd like to have any of these dampers on my car, and it is exciting news that a bolt-on Ohlins solution will be available!

This is great news! Not for me, but for those 1g owners who have some pennies saved.

Both KW and Ohlins have a 7-post shaker rig, and I guarantee you if you spend the same amount of money at KW that you do at Ohlin, it'd probably be impossible to tell the difference.

There are levels of damper manufacturers, and KW is right up there with Ohlins, Moton, Koni, and Penske if you want to spend the money. They all have championships under their belts. KW just offers much lower priced systems in addition to their high-end kits.

Anyway, I'd like to have any of these dampers on my car, and it is exciting news that a bolt-on Ohlins solution will be available!
You're probably right. I know the KW Clubsports are closer to what these Ohlins kits will be like, as opposed to the Variant 3 kits, which is what most are familiar with.

Dunno about the complete unit, but the ITR lower mount fits a 2G fork perfectly - from there it's fairly simple, at least the mechanical side of things...

If you're interested let me know offline.

Charles

I'm extremely jealous of this forthcoming bolt on solution. If it was a choice between these and KW's, it'd be Ohlins any day of the week!

Pretty much any actual race shock shop can rebuild Ohlins and get parts for them vs. KW or JIC (an issue I'm running into with my old JICs), or even Koni.

Going through the parts library there might be hope for 2G's:

(This is from a Mini Cooper). Whether or not this fits the shock fork up front (looks like the diameter is a little too big), it would be feasible with some custom machining (although by then you could have anything though, yeah?)

Although one of my other thoughts was to take my JIC setup's outer bodies and jam a real race shock inside (eg bilstein/ohlins/penske).

OK so the setup that was built and tested on turboAWDfanatic's car is now sitting on mine. Let me confirm this is unlike anything I've felt in my life. Now I've only been in a track prepped 911 once, and passed a few on my JIC's a few times, but this setup is ridiculous. Coupled with the Whiteline 26mm bar in the rear and Jay Racing's active toe eliminator this thing is welded to the ground. Something worthy of noting besides lateral stability is the acceleration and braking differences. They are substantial and very noticeable. Since I've removed my antilock, I need to relearn my lockup threshold since it is MUCH earlier than with the JIC's. I was skeptical that it would be night and day as Mr. Mueller advertised...but it is NIGHT AND DAY! Save your pennies boys and girls...this is THE KIT to get.

But Megans are 32way adjustable...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back