The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

New starter , new problems help please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g20g

Probationary Member
Dec 20, 2012
mt. holly, New_Jersey
So my 2g has had this intermintent starting problem where i could hear the starter spin freely, but somtimes it would grab with 2 or three turns. Now everytime i turn it over it just spins there for leading me too believe it was on its way out. Today i went and got a new starter and switched it out wasnt very hard only one place to put the positive wire and negative/ground wire on the top starter bolt on the outside made sure to clean all contacts too. Now the cars been sitting and i usually need a jump to start it but thats diffrent problem but whem i went to put the positive on the battery terminal the starter engages and starts spining like its hotwired but its not even engaging the flywheel and cranking it just spins. I never had this problem with the other starter that i thought was no good. I could really use somones input thanks.

Well of course i didnt make the great choice by going to advanced auto but i made sure they tested the starter before i left, but how should i go about jumping the solenoid thanks agian.

Sounds like the flywheel teeth are grind down. I'd pull the starter and see if it is engaging right and check the flywheel. Hope this helps

Im gonna take another shot at it tomm let tou know how it goes.

you could do it with a screw driver also. but you run a wire with alligator clips from the pos+ of the battery to the pos+ of the solenoid. And another from ground to ground.

the other way with a screw driver is go from the solenoid ground to the pos+ and jump it.

but if you had it tested it is good i would check all your grounds and the pos+ on the starter and alternator. and also the I you plug in the solenoid.

So i went and got another starter had them test it agian and its fine, i swear that the starter just isnt getting grounded i have the negative cable from termknal to top starter bolt even took that of and ran a bew ground from firewall to terminal then another from terminal to starter bolt and when i hook up pos+ from jumpercable with negative already hooked up the starter spins until i remove positive. What could it possibly be???!

try disconnecting the small wire that goes on the starter spade terminal then hook up the battery if it doesn't spin then that wire is getting 12v from some where . that wire should only be hot when turning the ignition key to the crank position.

I even tried that with the solenoid signal connection on top. Its woerd because when i have the starter out of the car and i hook up the jumper cables negatice to housing and positive on positive stud it doesnt spin so i know its a grounding problem i just cant seem to get it to ground

If the starter is spinning, but not engaging the flywheel, you may want to check the solenoid wire. It may be frayed or broken causing intermittent power to the solenoid. That would cause the starter to run but not turn over the motor. if the starter is spinning, the ground is fine.

Nate

I know i dont have the wrong terminal on the start because theres only one terminal to connect too the other terminal is for starter motor to solenoid. My signal wire to solenoid is fine because that only engages soleniod when you go to crank the engine. With starter out of the car + jumper cable to positive starter teminal. - jumper cable on housing of starter therfore the ground, when hooked up to hot battery starter does nothing like it should. No when installed and ground from - battery terminal to top sarter bolt that is the starters ground when i hook up live jumper cables the starter spins freely, since im not in my car cranking my ingnition switch inst going to send a signal to the solenoid telling it to engage my flywheel. Im almost positive the starter is not being grounded is there any other way to ground the starter?

Or a fuse that would keep the car from being grounded ive run out of ideas.

Anyone please?

I sounds like the plunger in the starter isnt engaging. The starter may be spinning and turning but not coming out to engage the flywheel. or the teeth in the flywheel is missing. bench test the starter and see if it pops out like it should. while your in there inspect flywheel for missing teeth.

So when you put the starter in the car and hook up the battery it just spins endlessly without even turning the key, but if you take it out of the car and hook up the battery to it the same way, it just sits there (like it should) and does nothing? That's incredible!

To colt 4g63 that is exactly what happens and thats why im clueless only thing i can think of it to run another ground on bottom starter bolt to chassis maybe?

If s is for the little spade signal connector on top solenoid then yea it still does it. Is it possible that my battery since its dead and everytime i have to put jumpercables to it that its not sending a negative thru my starter and chassis?

No that's pretty much impossible. You should charge your battery, and cranking it with a dead one can fuse the contacts in the solenoid together causing it to stick on, but you would have to turn the key to initiate that.

I still say the positive cable must be touching the post that goes to the starter motor somehow. The starter motor will not spin without power and ground, so you must have a ground. Simple experiment: Lay the starter on the floor and hook up only the positive cable... It's not spinning is it? That's basic electrical principle, you need a complete circuit.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• electron-flow.gif
    electron-flow.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 37
I guess ill take it out agian and put it back maybe this time it will work... Hopefully

The starter is always grounded to frame. There is a lead black w/ yellow that goes from the neg terminal on the battery to the top tranny bolt. This makes the frame and negative battery the same potential! You are wiring the positive lead to the wrong terminal on the starter. One terminal will have nothing on it the other will have a wire running from the terminal into the starter. You need to put the red positive lead on the terminal that does not have the other lead running into the starter. There should be also be a small power wire that energizes the relay when you turn the key (switch power) and the contacts close and the starter gets 12v power from the big red wire coming from the positive battery.

It is impossible for me to be putting pos lead on wrong starter point because when i got the starter there is only one terminal free other terminal is already connected from starter motor to solenoid and i had them test it so i know that starter is not stuck but when i put it in the car the positive battery terminal sparks alot and starter begins to spin.

Can i do that thru my iphone do you know?

Also it never did this with the old start so i must have just not done somthing right but its so easy negative to frame and to top starter bolt positive to starter ughh

Can i do that thru my iphone do you know?

Also it never did this with the old start so i must have just not done somthing right but its so easy negative to frame and to top starter bolt positive to starter ughh

Yeah I'm sure I-phones can take video. Here are the instructions:
Let me google that for you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back