The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

boost spike/ overboosting help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakes97gs

10+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2012
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hey guys i recently installed an electronic boost controller on my 96 talon, ever since i installed it i've been having overboost issues, everytime i hit boost it climbs up into the desired boost range and then almost instantlyh spikes, i tried to have it set at 14 psi and it has overboosted as high as 25 psi. I think i have the boost solenoid hooked up correctly, so i tested my wategate with an air compressor and it is fully opened at 20 psi, before i installed the ebc the car was consistently boosting at about 12 psi regulated by the wastegate. should the factory wastegate actuator open at 20psi from an air compressor or should it open earlier? any help is much appreciated, oh and my solenoid has numbers 1, 2, and 3 on it, 1 and 2 have nipples with hoses coming off, 1 to the turbine housing nipple and 2 to the wastegate actuator, 3 has no nipple coming off of it and isn't plugged, im not sure if that could cause some sort of leak or anything. i bought the controller used from someone and he said he ran it like that on his car. thanks again for any help

Don't run it like that if it's not tuned for it... probably running super lean at those high boost spikes. Is it a cheap EBC? I know sometimes there are lag in the cheap units, causing the unit to adjust the solenoid at a slower rate which would lead to high boost levels. Try a dab of white lithium grease in the noid... might help a little bit.

I haven't been driving it since it started spiking, but im pretty sure its a decent boost controller, i forget the name of it, do you think it could be the solenoid sticking? also is it normal for the factory wastegate actuator to open at 20 psi from an air compressor? it was boosting fine before the ebc but im wondering if the actuator could have failed somehow... thanks

unhook the ebc, and run your vacuum line to the wastegate, get a name of the EBC. Call the manufacturer and see if there is somthing wrong with your settings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back