The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

hp gain from 14b

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe'sGST

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2011
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
ok, so i was talking with this guy this guy that "know's a lot about dsm's" and we got to the conversation about t25 vs 14b. He kept telling me that by just adding a 14b and a fmic running on same psi there will be a 60-80hp gainWTF, i know there will be a gain but i'm pretty sure not that much...do you guys know by any chance how much hp gain there will be?

From what ive read and seen wwith info and sdyno sheets, a good fmic should yield around 20 hp. AROUND. That's with linkcand all tthat to help btw. The turbo swap shouldn't give more thab 15 I would say. The t25 spools faster but 14b pulls harder.

He is correct to an extent.

If you have every supporting mod, and you threw on a 14b yes you could make considerable more HP.

But bolting on a 14b and a fmic and thats it, no you wont see drastic gains. Especially at the same boost level.

A maxed out 14b will make 60+ more hp than a maxed out t25. This requires supporting mods, and tuning. My built 1g would pull new ss camaros with a 14b, but it had every supporting mod there is.

I maxed out and destroyed a 14b just for giggles on a dyno, at 24psi, 272 cams, 550s, srfmic, and all the other goodies pulled 285awhp and it only lasted 6 pulls. Seemed like the turbo actually loses effiency past 19-20psi tho haha.

Find a fp bt28 and call it a day, I was pulling 341awhp at 19psi on that little thing....beating on 50trim dsm's and bolt on evos

Like everyone else said. A 14B can gain you quite a few ponies with the right supporting mods. Without them you won't feel much difference. I have seen quite a few people run 12 second passes with these turbos.

ok, so to get to let's say 280-300whp what mods would be needed using the 14b? still my dd so if there's any risk of breaking parts b/c of the power what would be a safe hp range?

I have a 14b on my car at ~17psi full exhaust, hard pipes, intake etc... but no fuel mods. Injectors ~115% creeps above 5.5k logs 30lbs/min before knock. Def need pump and injectors...

Last edited by a moderator:
I maxed out and destroyed a 14b just for giggles on a dyno, at 24psi, 272 cams, 550s, srfmic, and all the other goodies pulled 285awhp and it only lasted 6 pulls. Seemed like the turbo actually loses effiency past 19-20psi tho haha.

Sounds like a case of a bad turbo and horrible tune if you only managed 285awhp and blew it up in 6 pulls. You were probably out of fuel as well.

ok, so to get to let's say 280-300whp what mods would be needed using the 14b? still my dd so if there's any risk of breaking parts b/c of the power what would be a safe hp range?

There's always a risk of breaking parts when you start raising HP, no matter what you replace; it's just a fact of life. As for your question, you'll need more fuel and something to tune with.

Like everyone is stating..Untuned with no supporting mods at same psi, won't be much of a gain but the gain will be there..Adding a fmic will also up the gain..Addimg more psi to the fmic would still be more of a gain..

And then you have adding 14b, fmic and more supporting mods..There you can see a significant gain..

Hell adding a tune would be much more of a gain than swapping on a fmic and 14b..But then again at some point you will want or need more than a t25..

I pulled on my girlfriend's gsx with her evo2 16g at 20psi and i was in my fwd 2g with a 14b at 15psi. Small gains in hp numbers, but you will notice the big difference from the t2small.

Last edited:
I pulled on my friend's gsx with her evo2 16g at 20psi and i was in my fwd 2g with a 14b at 15psi. Small gains in hp numbers, but you will notice the big difference from the t2small.

Your also talking from a roll..But I will have to remind you that the 16g flows alot more air than a 14b...

And I also have to remind you that unless it's on the track..Posts like this are not allowed..

And on the track you would have gotten destroyed from the line..

Your also talking from a roll..But I will have to remind you that the 16g flows alot more air than a 14b...

And I also have to remind you that unless it's on the track..Posts like this are not allowed..

And on the track you would have gotten destroyed from the line..

It was at the track, and was about even off the line she left at 20psi, I left at 15psi, and oviosuly she had a little more power off the line, but I got the top end. I was refering that the 14b is a good turbo is all. Suprized me how well it did more or less comparision to someone with a evo2 big 16g...

Sounds like a case of a bad turbo and horrible tune if you only managed 285awhp and blew it up in 6 pulls. You were probably out of fuel as well.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest, a "used" unknown mileage stock 14b can let go anytime. The tune was at CFT, and afrs were 11.1-2 under 24psi with injector cycle at 87% 93octane. Maybe not allowing a good amount of time inbetween runs killed it but 285awhp is great for an old stock turbo. Btw figuring there dyno was reading low like that damn heartbreak dyno it was probably running around 300whp at 96* outside haha.

14b's are great small upgrades, but do remember your gonna need a j-pipe and reroute that lower ic piping or buy a baller j-pipe that lines up properly and an install kit for the turbo. After money spent might aswell went with a t28 killer unless your getting stuff for free or cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back