The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

How do you get good MPG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coryx7correls

Probationary Member
May 4, 2011
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Sorry if this has been brought up but I'm on my phone and its really hard to use the search function. My laptop broke :/

I'm going to be commuting to school every day (102 miles a day). So I'm wondering what mods I can use (safely), mintenance, etc. to get the mpg as good as it gets. I know you can turn your boost down but is there a minimum safe level for boost or procedures you have to take before doing so?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cory

Stay out of boost gives you the best MPG.

I'm assuming you have to tune to lower the boost? If so, what's a good tuner to use for something this simple?

EDIT: I see, you're saying just don't spool. But would lowering the boost help with mpg or does it not matter as long you don't boost?

turn your boost down but is there a minimum safe level for boost or procedures you have to take before doing so?

Yeah, I've always kind of wondered that. Everyone's all about turning it up, but how low can you go before you need to start adjusting hardware? How low can the ECU compensate for a regular day to day system? Say like 5psi.

Easiest way Id say to save gas Is stay out of boost. I drive 110 miles everyday coming and going from work and I get pretty good gas mileage.

How many miles per tank? And is that staying out of boost?

my current setup, t-2sloow, fmic, catback, 15psi, intake, bov I get 26mpg to a full tank 80% highway

My old setup 20g, full supporting mods running 18psi 30mpg (im guessing the better gas millage due to the turbo lag)

The more you press the gas the more fuel your burning, light foot less fuel ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean air and fuel filters, fixing any boost leaks, and just keeping your engine as effiecient as possible will do the most for less $$.

Driving habits, such as staying out of boost, like stated, but also watching the flow of traffic and using brakes as much as possible and keeping a high average mph.

Future more expensive mods such as intake, exhaust, higher compression pistons and lightened flywheels also help.

I get 30 imp. mpg on the highway with my stock 1g AWD, with a flywheel, evo III 5th gear, and 9:1 pistons, I could easily hit 35.

In fact, instead of typing this, just look here.

Clean air and fuel filters, fixing any boost leaks, and just keeping your engine as effiecient as possible will do the most for less $$.

Driving habits, such as staying out of boost, like stated, but also watching the flow of traffic and using brakes as much as possible and keeping a high average mph.

Future more expensive mods such as intake, exhaust, higher compression pistons and lightened flywheels also help.

I get 30 imp. mpg on the highway with my stock 1g AWD, with a flywheel, evo III 5th gear, and 9:1 pistons, I could easily hit 35.

In fact, instead of typing this, just look here.

Perfect.

Thank you all!

I have nearly doubled the mileage my car has advertised as getting with just maintenance and driving conservatively. Most of saving fuel is in how you drive.

...Don't be one of those idiots who floors it to get to a red light.

My question is which is more efficient if you are driving alone on a highway, approaching your turn: 1) Throw it in neutral and put back into gear once you have coasted to your corner; 2) Let off the gas in fifth gear and let the engine slow you down until you hit the corner.

An engine uses fuel when idling and doesn't use fuel when the engine is slowing it down. But in idle you can coast must further....

:hmm: Sometimes I wonder how some of you guys get better gas mileage than the vehicle was actually getting advertized to be getting from the manufacturer???

Most of it has to do with tuning I'd bet. But you have to also look at why turbochargers and superchargers were designed in the first place. The original use was to help trucks but mostly trains get up large hills or mountain passes while using as little fuel as possible. The other problem at that time was the air thinned out in some areas of the world so much fuel efficency was a joke, using forced induction in mountain areas allowed them to have a steadier airflow and waste less fuel.

I've heard running a turbo in vacuum is better for MPG than running with out a turbo at all. However I am not sure how this could be true because you should be seeing more air which would take more fuel for a accurate mixture. My guess is the truth lies in the tuning and not the amount of air being forced into the motor.

Ill have to read up on it some time soon. It's always interested me.

Since I changed my o2 sensors I get on average 25.7mpg and that's also sometimes in boost! I get aroud 320+ miles per tank. The other day I got about 30.xmpg as I was stuck at 50mph due to roadworks. Not bad hey I change all my fluids every 6 months so that helps.

A bigger turbo will actually help cruising MPG because the turbo spools later. Then you can tune to a leaner AFR which will get you a few more MPG. Then all of your maintenance as stated above will help tremendously. Tire pressure, Air filter, Oil Changes will help the most. Waxing helps some by slicking the surface, but maybe as little as 0.5%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea it isnt hard to get decent mpg out of these things if you keep your foot out of it. I drive my 1g 70 miles every day and get 29.5mpg
I stay below 65, stay out of boost most of the time, sometimes I have to row through a couple gears to merge out into traffic. My car is stock right now, I am sure once I put on a full exhaust the mileage will get even better due to no cat restriction, that is as long as I dont go WOT everywhere. My goal for my car is being capable of 35mpg

Shortshift. For any given speed run in a higher gear at lower RPM and more open throttle.

Yes, more open throttle. The engine is an air pump and a more closed throttle has more pumping losses. Just don't carry this too far and keep the throttle open long enough to get high RPMs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back