Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 13

XTD clutch

I'm going to get a clutch kit for my 1g tsi AWD and after doing some research I came up with some arguements between an ACT 2100 and a 2600. I have found a stage 3 clutch kit w/ a chromemoly flywheel for a decent price.
eBay Motors: XTDŽ STAGE 3 CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL/90-92 ECLIPSE /TALON AWD (item 190187075837 end time Jan-08-08 18:03:14 PST)
I know a person with a 240sx and a person with a 2g gsx with them and they swear by them, I was just wondering if its a good buy or a no go. I'm only planning to do mild mods (under 300lbs of torque) and am doing basically 90% daily driving and only like 10% light to light drag.

Thanks much

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 43
Classifieds Rating: 0
Don't buy any chip clutch kit from ebay, like XTD,F1 or eclutchmaster.
With this you can have only problems, and you can broke your tranny.
I recommend ACT2100 or ACT2600 sprung disk.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,066
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 6
I bought a stage 3 XTD clutch and lightweight flywheel in May and has been working great, no problems with either and fit perfectly... thats my experience, its very streetable too.. running 15psi and creeping to 20
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 380
Classifieds Rating: 2
I also had the stage 3 clutch and flywheel in my last dsm (91 awd) and I was running 20-25psi on my 20g and had zero issues at all. I had the clutch in the car for the better part of 10k and the local I sold it too is still going strong a year later and many many passes later.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 16
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedgsx1997 View Post
Its seems that everytime someone wants to get something other than an ACT clutch people jump all on them. Does every DSM'er except me work for ACT as a sales rep? I personally thought that ACT were great coming from a Centerforce D/F. My first one lasted about a year and a half then starting slipping like no other. I figured it was just the abuse. The next one lasted less then a year until the disc blew apart. Since then an ACT clutch has not touch my car! I will get a cheap Ebay clutch and change it once a year then spend 3x as much for something that I should NOT have change that often.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
Photos: 31
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to Pursuit Send a message via Skype™ to Pursuit
I have bad attempt with chip ebay clutches already.
If you driving slow and not going to race your car you can buy chiper.
but i recommend exedy or act.
Visit Pursuit's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedgsx1997 View Post
i may not have any say cause my car makes no power bt i have the stage 2 in my galant gsx. its been in ther for 3 years! taken all the abuse i can throw at it side steps at 5k slipping it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much, everything. ive put almost 40k on it in that time span and it still grabs like it did the day i put it in.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25det510 View Post
i may not have any say cause my car makes no power bt i have the stage 2 in my galant gsx. its been in ther for 3 years! taken all the abuse i can throw at it side steps at 5k slipping it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much, everything. ive put almost 40k on it in that time span and it still grabs like it did the day i put it in.
Everything it's came for what are you going to use this clutch race or normal driving.
I already say if you going to drive slow with low boost it's okay.
But when i take my first XTD stage 3 and set on 15PSI on my 50 trim this clutch just i not have world for that just dependence how are you driving :} thats it's not racing clutches.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
Everything it's came for what are you going to use this clutch race or normal driving.
But when i take my first XTD stage 3 and set on 15PSI on my 50 trim this clutch just i not have world for that just dependence how are you driving :} thats it's not racing clutches.
i guess but this is going to be his daily that he drives normaly 90% and it will have less than 300 tq. that clutch is fine for him. and even if it goes quickly its not like he spent 400 on it. btw your post hurt my eyes to read.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25det510 View Post
i guess but this is going to be his daily that he drives normaly 90% and it will have less than 300 tq. that clutch is fine for him. and even if it goes quickly its not like he spent 400 on it. btw your post hurt my eyes to read.
Sorry but the English it's not my first language

Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 299
Photos: 7
Send a message via AIM to Merkles
I've had an XTD Stage 1 Clutch for over a year and its still working good for me

Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 867
Photos: 45
Send a message via AIM to matt98eclipse
I also have a xtd 6 puck clutch and has been installed for a few months now and haven't had any issue at all exept a little bit of clutch chatter! Im at 10 pounds creeping to 15 with my evo3big16g. I personally think its a pretty good clutch. It also takes time to get use to.
Visit matt98eclipse's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 15
Is down syndrome your first language? Seriously this thread is brutal, ? You always run the risk of getting a crappy product when you go with a no-name cheap ebay brand. I run a F1 "2200lb" pressure plate and a Carbon Kevlar sprung street disc from F1. I am into this clutch for $175.00 and it is all made by SECO. Does it out perform ACT, maybe. It is cheap, it likes a little heat, and it never slips unless I'm doint the slipping.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 116
Classifieds Rating: -1
XTD isn't really a no name anymore. People have been running them for a long time with no trouble. Actually I have never seen a bad review on them.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
Like I said in my last post I had the stage 3 xtd on my 91 awd with a 20g at 20-25 psi depending on what fuel I had in the car. I have put many many passes down on that clutch and the kid I sold the car too is still racing on it today. It has been a good 2 1/2 yrs since I installed it in the car. If thats not racing I dont know what is

Also what ebay clutch did you use? Remember ebay has tons of differnt sellers with tons of differnt parts!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 102
Send a message via AIM to FlatBlackTerror
Quote:
Originally Posted by black91awdturbo View Post
Like I said in my last post I had the stage 3 xtd on my 91 awd with a 20g at 20-25 psi depending on what fuel I had in the car. I have put many many passes down on that clutch and the kid I sold the car too is still racing on it today. It has been a good 2 1/2 yrs since I installed it in the car. If thats not racing I dont know what is

Also what ebay clutch did you use? Remember ebay has tons of differnt sellers with tons of differnt parts!
Ebay XTD Stage 3 Clutch kit

Tried it and it literally blew up on me. While i did have a 50 trim it was on low boost without a tune.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 249
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 3
I will be pulling a engine trans out of a friends car this next week that was running a XTD clutch.

It held up longer then the engine did and i told him it wouldn't make it a year and he would be changing it.

I was wrong... engine went first.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 65
when my friend origionally owned my car two years ago we put in a XTD 6 puck with lightened flywheel and pressure plate.. I own the car now and it still works great, and I beat the crap out of it.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 313
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 7
I have the XTD stage 3. Works great, grabs great! But DO NOT USE THE THROWOUT BEARING. USE AN OEM TOB.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks2319 View Post
I have the XTD stage 3. Works great, grabs great! But DO NOT USE THE THROWOUT BEARING. USE AN OEM TOB.
yeah i figured that out the hard way... i had tob explode on me.