Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 01:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 82
Classifieds Rating: 1

o2 sensor removal how to

hey everybody, ive replaced a few o2 sensors now and after the first 2 eating my lunch, i found a way to remove them that hasnt failed me yet, so here it is

first off, here are the tools you'll need
special o2 sensor removal socket
3\8 inch craftsman extension and ratchet, better brands recommended
3' cheater bar to fit over ratchet
screw type coupler clamp(like the ones on the stock intake maf, but to fit o2 socket

So at this Point its pretty straight forward, first place the screw type clamp and slide it down the o2 sensor wire. Take the o2 sensor socket, and put it on the o2 sensor wire, then slide the clamp over the bottom of the o2 sensor socket(this keeps the o2 sensor socket from spreading from insane amounts of torque, in theory a better o2 sensor socket wont spread, but i used a Mac and a snap-on, which are pretty well known brands and both of them spread, so this gives you that extra bite on the socket without having to strip it or cut the wires and use an impact socket). Tighten the clamp as much as you can on the o2 socket and put the extension and ratchet together and get the socket securely on the o2 sensor. Here we use the cheater bar and just let the leverage do the work, just listen for the crack, its an awesome sound...

if any of the mods want a write up for the how-to section just let me know, i just didnt think it was a big deal, but i wanted to spread what i found to work and save a lot of frustration, hope this helps you guys

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 866
Classifieds Rating: 0
Nice thanks for the straight forward post to help all of our viewers. Good stuff!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 687
Reputation: blackbyrd is extremely helpful and trustworthyblackbyrd is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to blackbyrd
Does the clamp really hold up better then the socket? haha
Yeah, it's pretty much that easy^^. I've come across a couple sensors really stuck in there, and ran the car for a little bit first to heat up the O2 housing and sensor.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 82
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Does the clamp really hold up better then the socket? haha
Yeah, it's pretty much that easy^^. I've come across a couple sensors really stuck in there, and ran the car for a little bit first to heat up the O2 housing and sensor.
actually the clamp is the whole key to stubborn o2's, ive all but rounded a few, then i use the clamp on the last three, and it worked so well i couldnt believe it, it grabs like an impact socket, doesnt spread at all

Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
I think photos of the whole process (as well as the tools used) would be quite helpful in following the instructions.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 687
Reputation: blackbyrd is extremely helpful and trustworthyblackbyrd is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to blackbyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockLee GS-T
actually the clamp is the whole key to stubborn o2's, ive all but rounded a few, then i use the clamp on the last three, and it worked so well i couldnt believe it, it grabs like an impact socket, doesnt spread at all

I have an impact O2 Socket... Anyways, I'll believe you that it works, I just haven't had to use it in my journeys.
And do you really need pictures of this? hah