The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Megan Racing Coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Eclipse9916

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2004
Vienna, Virginia
I just noticed the Megan Racing coilovers on the speed factor's website. I was wondering if these are similar to the D2's, or if they are better in any way? it says that there is a 14kg spring in the front and a 6kg in the rear. It seems to me that this would make more weight transfer to the rear, would that make this suspension a bad idea for people with fwd?

Don't buy Megan Racing. It may be a good price but they are built for the price. They don't use the best materials, and they don't have the research invested into them like Tein or JIC would.
Do it right the first time! ;)

Flash said:
Don't buy Megan Racing. It may be a good price but they are built for the price. They don't use the best materials, and they don't have the research invested into them like Tein or JIC would.

Please explain what "materials" are used in the Megan Racing coilovers, that would make them such a bad choice.

Please explain the materials that Tein or JIC uses that are different to the Megan Racing coilovers.

Please explain the differences you have noticed in ride quality using the Megan racing coilovers compared to the JIC and Tein.

Please explain how you came up with the conclusion that so indecisively points the thread starter to choose Tein or JIC over the Megan Racing coilover.

Please explain how the #### your "educational and informative" post about Tein or JIC has anything to do with the original question. And by educational and informative I mean "opinionated."

:mad: My apologies to the original poster as I can't stand ignorance on any level. I have purchased a set of these coilovers after much discussion with Marti at the Speed Factor. I cannot draw conclusions however, as they haven't arrived yet. When they do arrive and I have installed them, I will be sure to post a review of them. Until then I would say to contact Marti for questions that you have concerning them as he is quite knowledgable in their performance and application.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202250

Brew :talon:

edit: I don't want to come off as an ass, but sometimes I do. I'm sorry Flash, it's just that posts like that help no one, and this is a very legitimate thread that should stay educational and informative instead of opinionated.

BREW said:
Please explain what "materials" are used in the Megan Racing coilovers, that would make them such a bad choice.

Please explain the materials that Tein or JIC uses that are different to the Megan Racing coilovers.

Please explain the differences you have noticed in ride quality using the Megan racing coilovers compared to the JIC and Tein.

Please explain how you came up with the conclusion that so indecisively points the thread starter to choose Tein or JIC over the Megan Racing coilover.

Please explain how the #### your "educational and informative" post about Tein or JIC has anything to do with the original question. And by educational and informative I mean "opinionated."

:mad: My apologies to the original poster as I can't stand ignorance on any level. I have purchased a set of these coilovers after much discussion with Marti at the Speed Factor. I cannot draw conclusions however, as they haven't arrived yet. When they do arrive and I have installed them, I will be sure to post a review of them. Until then I would say to contact Marti for questions that you have concerning them as he is quite knowledgable in their performance and application.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202250

Brew :talon:

edit: I don't want to come off as an ass, but sometimes I do. I'm sorry Flash, it's just that posts like that help no one, and this is a very legitimate thread that should stay educational and informative instead of opinionated.

I agree, most jackasses don't realize that 95% of import related products are built by the same company in god knows where Asia and just rebranded with another company's name on it with claims of millions of hours of research and better quality materials and blah blah blah.

I'll have a set of these on my car within the next 2-3 weeks. I'll post up a review when I get them on.

DJ come by and drive the GSX sometime. I have the first production set on my car. I worked with Megan to get them where they are. I like them. I would be happy to answer any questions.

I can tell you the material is top notch. i have a lot of pics that i took during the various test fittings. If anyone needs any please let me know. They are light weight. the threads are all Teflon coated, the assembly is all 1 piece aluminum and i love how the adjustment dial clicks with every turn. Also the adjustment dials can be locked into place or removed.

fire away with any questions.

-marti

Yeah Martin, my friend Jason (with the white gs-t) actually posted this up, but I am also looking at them. However I also have to finish my turbo setup before doing anything. Probably sometime during winter break ill be at your shop to check out those coilovers and also order some fuel goodies, also maybe help figure out where I can mount my damn aeromotive...

With a gs-t what springs rates do you suggest? Hee said on your site it said 14 front and like 6 rear...but wouldnt that be terrible for weight transfer on a gs-t? He will be autocrossing mostly and a little bit of drag.

Also, for my setup, I am actually looking at some more expensive setups. Since I am starting to do some actual road racing and have done 12-15 autocrosses within the past few months, I need something that will actually do more than just "good". And since this is now my main focus, I dont mind spending most of the money of my car on a suspension setup. I am definitely looking a dual adjustable (rebound and compression seperate) setup but there arent many out there.

PS- Did you ever receive my message about the boost controller? Well guess what? 10 minutes after that I found that one of my new pirelli tires burst, cords are sticking out heavily but it still holds air. Anything I can do to call pirelli and maybe try requesting a new tire, cuz it is a defective one, all my other tires dont have the problem. Even though I do need a heavy alignment done...

DJ, I didn't get any message about a boost controller. Hit me up on AIM (thespeedfactor) or something. Come by the shop when you are home for the holidays and we'll talk more about your suspension and mods.

Mangina: we have used the other applications you mentioned. Megan even sponsors our drift car so we run the Megan coilovers on there too and we love them! :rocks: :rocks: Our driver hasn't crashed into anything since we installed them and that is a big deal for us. LOL.

NO 1G love :nono: are they working on a set up for us or is the only option D2 and Tein for us just because by the time i buy some agx's then some ground control springs i could buy a FULL coilover setup

hell yeah because lauching like i usto is starting to get a little scary. Im getting wheel hop and all 4 tires spinng all the way thru first :p

i heard the megan units were made in the same facility as the apexi coilovers....any truth to this?

Brew, when Greg Collier starts using Megan Racing coilovers let me know.

For starters JIC uses a inverted mono tube design inside, and Megan doesn't.

Flash said:
For starters JIC uses a inverted mono tube design inside, and Megan doesn't.

Thats understandable but JIC's also show their quality in their price. Do tein super streets use mono tube bla bla, how about tanabe sustecs, and d2's? When you own both megan and jic coilovers and have taken them apart and inspected and driven on both, then talk as if you know something. ####in losers love talking on the internet as if they know something. Megan coilovers JUST came out. Are you sure you are a guru on them?

Flash said:

Click on the link to the evo forums. It shows that megan racing coilovers and Apex coilovers are built in the exact same factory. So much for poor quality. Well, except if Apex is poor quality.

Flash said:
I feel that directed towards me. I think you need to start respecting others. I haven't made any negative comment directed towards anyone.

Keep it civil guys.

I put in an order for these today and should be getting them on the car soon. I can't wait to compare them to my tokico/prokit setup.

Flash said:
I feel that directed towards me. I think you need to start respecting others. I haven't made any negative comment directed towards anyone.

My bad man. Although i dont like the statements you made, i usually keep quiet in these situations. Bad mood last night.

Let me change my words around.

Although these megan coilovers might not be as "grand" as JIC's, i think you should do a little more research on them before knocking them down.

They look pretty good to me.

Enjuku Racing uses Megan Racing Dampers/Springs. I might have to give these a try some time.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wrote a really long, in depth informative post on this about 3 days ago, and its not there... shit.

Here was the gist of it:

First of all, everyone hails JICs as the most incredible set of coil-overs ever. They're not.

Second, Here is the process I'd go through if trying to figure out if they're halfway decent. First, call up the north american distributor. Second ask them questions like: If I want to revalve my shock, what is the process, and how many options do I have. What facility rebuilds the shocks, and how do they do it? Would I be able to get dynomometer graphs for my shocks when i order them? If I had them built are they all matched on a dyno?

The more you research, the more you save. (look into all of your options in your price range before you buy as well. JICs, Hotbits, Megan, Tein, D2, koni/hypercoils/RRE camberplates etc.)

drivemusicnow said:
its not there... shit. was the gist of it:

First of all, everyone hails JICs as the most incredible set of coil-overs ever. They're not.

WHAT!!! :cry: :cry:

:tease:

Flash said:
Greg, I think it's time to change your JIC's to Megan Racing coilovers. WTF

I'm personally rather confused on what exactly Greg was trying to say there...

But either way, I still think my point is valid. JIC coilovers are not God's solution to all things supension. sorry. Yes, they have been proven to work, however does that mean they are the absolute best solution? Not at all. It just means they're the solution that has been proven the most. (and yes, if you have the money, send John Mueller a check for $2500+ and say, make my car do this. and he will, but for those of us who can't just leave good enough alone, do the research and find out the best solution for you.)

drivemusicnow said:
I'm personally rather confused on what exactly Greg was trying to say there...

But either way, I still think my point is valid. JIC coilovers are not God's solution to all things supension. sorry. Yes, they have been proven to work, however does that mean they are the absolute best solution? Not at all. It just means they're the solution that has been proven the most. (and yes, if you have the money, send John Mueller a check for $2500+ and say, make my car do this. and he will, but for those of us who can't just leave good enough alone, do the research and find out the best solution for you.)

Greg was making a joke (it's not all that serious)... God doesn't have time to concern himself with you car's suspension. Certainly there are many alternatives when choosing suspension for your car and to say there's only one way to go is absurd OMG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back