The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FAQ - Fender Flange Rolling Criteria Matrix

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wret

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2003
Bel Air, Maryland
There seems to be some apprehension and misunderstanding about fender flange rolling among novices. I’m trying to generalize the variables that contribute to the necessity for FFR'ing. It occurred to me that it if we express all the variables as two distinct levels, and establish a few stereotypical profiles, it might be possible for a novice to self-assess the need for fender flange rolling.

Here are the variables and levels:

Tire Width
Narrow = 215 or less
Wide = 225 or higher

Lowered?
Self explanatory.
No
Yes

Springs
Light = less than 400 lb
Stiff = 400 lb or more

Camber Comped?
Camber adjusted after lowering.
No
Yes

Offset
High = More than 40mm
Low = 40mm or less

Wheels Tuck
Yes = Wheels tuck under and inside the fender edge during suspension compression
No = Wheels cannot tuck due to suspension or wheel/tire configuration

Comments?
Helpful?

Attachments

• FR Matrix.bmp
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,627
I like it. I'm not sure if the second column (dedicated racer) would fall under the category of not needing fender rolling. All of the factors except stiff springs would contribute to the need for fender rolling, so I guess you're basing it off of that. Did you have a data point, or were you somewhat guessing?

I really like the idea you have going here. I've never known much about fender rolling before, and starting an information base about this (maybe eventually an faq section, or add-on to the suspension faq) is a good idea. As a suggestion, if you are planning on expanding on this, a good idea for the real newbies to the concept (myself included) might be to have a detailed explanation/write-up on the process of fender rolling and everything it entails.

MackZ24 said:
I really like the idea you have going here. I've never known much about fender rolling before, and starting an information base about this (maybe eventually an faq section, or add-on to the suspension faq) is a good idea. As a suggestion, if you are planning on expanding on this, a good idea for the real newbies to the concept (myself included) might be to have a detailed explanation/write-up on the process of fender rolling and everything it entails.

Try this one sticked at the top:
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170003

I appologize if my FAQ posts are onesided (2g) but I am not qualified to answer specific questions on the geometry 1g fitment. Hopefully that will corrected when the right person is recruited to help with that.

jim97gst, my thinking on the dedicated race only car is that it would have wide tires and offset the precluded "tucking." Anything that doesn't tuck does not need fender rolling.

By the way, does anyone know if a stock 2g suspension actually tucks to the point that a wider tire could make contact with the fender flange?

I apolagize wret, I had read the suspension faq so many times that I almost know it off by heart, but had never really taken a look at the sticky titled "More Wheel and Tire FAQs". Lots of good information there. As you said, it does pertain mostly to 2G's, but I was just looking for general information on the process, and that gave me what I needed to know! Thanks again. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back