Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > Regional DSM Events > Gulf Coast Region DSM
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Gulf Coast Region DSM: Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 395
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: thatblondechik is extremely helpful and trustworthythatblondechik is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to thatblondechik Send a message via Yahoo to thatblondechik

Dyno Tuning in Austin, TX?

Alright, so I booked a dyno next week at EDO and when I called tonight to confirm, they started telling me that they only had a Dyno at their Cali location?! ? Anyways, I'd rather not take my car to ProTech...they're dumb. So does anyone know another good tuning shop?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 23
Photos: 4
MZM? Colvin?

What are you tuning with? Cause if your profile is up to date, I see no reason that wouldn't take more than a few pulls down a back road somewhere to get dialed in. Also, no need to rev that high with that turbo .
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: thatblondechik is extremely helpful and trustworthythatblondechik is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to thatblondechik Send a message via Yahoo to thatblondechik
I'm a tuning retard. I can work on the damn thing all day long but I can't for the life of me put a proper tune on it. And with the new setup I have...I really don't want to eff anything up.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 66
Photos: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblondechik View Post
I'm a tuning retard. I can work on the damn thing all day long but I can't for the life of me put a proper tune on it. And with the new setup I have...I really don't want to eff anything up.
+1 for MZM

I was also informed to go to MZM for tuning, apparently they love tuning Eclipse's.
We'll see about that when they get a look at my setup....

Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,738
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 216
Quote:
I really don't want to eff anything up.
It's a shame you don't remember how to drive the car.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmx141 View Post
It's a shame you don't remember how to drive the car.
I DON'T Di(kbag. But that doesn't mean I don't want it running so that I CAN LEARN. I'm not gonna take your crap, Justin. Drop it.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,668
Photos: 53
Classifieds Rating: 45
Wasnt it for sale the other day on C-List for the 100xxxth Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones420 View Post
+1 for MZM

I was also informed to go to MZM for tuning, apparently they love tuning Eclipse's.
We'll see about that when they get a look at my setup....
Yours 2x

Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 0
Where is this MZM that tunes mitsus.....

Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Howard Lane, right across the street from the FedEx station.

They tune anything for the right money. They love the Evo and STI most though.

I'll still think thatblondechik should spend some time doing it herself. Tune the idle, cruise, then slowly work up to the wot. You have a wideband, and the afc is way to easy to work with to pay someone to do it for you. You know what a/f ratio you are shooting for, so tune to it. Always play on the safe side though. My $.02

I think Road Race might have some afc tuning tips to get you started.

Who cares if she was trying to sell her car for the 10000th time, it's her car and if a sucker gives her the price she wants...why not.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedt28 View Post
....the afc is way to easy to work with....
She's got that Turboxs tuning software thingy... not just an safc ...

Quote:
....if a sucker gives her the price she wants...why not.
... just like that stock gsx that wanted like 15k...

Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 66
Photos: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_PWR View Post
Yours 2x
This time was C-list, last time was eBay. I just have days when i want to sell it.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_PWR View Post
She's got that Turboxs tuning software thingy... not just an safc ...

... just like that stock gsx that wanted like 15k...
Oh, her profile says afc and she didn't bother to answer when I asked. Good luck with that thing. MZM or Tuning Concepts (I think that's Justin's business).

, there is a sucker born every minute though.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)

She's running an AFC piggybacked to a MAF translator. I bought her the AFC originally when she was trying to tune FIC 850's on a Translator alone, so I picked her up a set of brand new PTE 680's and we downsized to something a little more compatible with the Small 16G she had (now a Frank 16G / GT30R compressor).

I told her I'd buy her DSMLink, fly down to Austin and tune her car, then we could drive it back whenever she was ready to move to PA....guess that wasn't a good enough offer to get her to move.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Are we REALLY bringing that into the forums? Seriously. If you want to talk to me about stuff like that call me. I'd rather not broadcast all over the internet that you and me currently have issues.

And I apologize for not being a total gold digger.

As for the CL posting...I'm sure we've all gotten so frustrated with these cars that we're wanting to sell them. But I wasn't ripping ANYONE off...the listing was "BEST OFFER." I was offered $7.5k...but being addicted to this car, I turned it down. And yea...I've been selling the car since the day I bought it...just haven't gotten an offer I like. I did get offered a Bimmer once...but I didn't have a grand to throw in to the deal.

And as for tuning myself...yea. I'm the first to admit...I CAN'T TUNE WORTH $HIT! And I'd rather not mess anything up. I'm all for doing everything myself, but I'm big enough to admit when I don't know something. I would love to learn to tune, but there's no one knowledgeable enough in my area.

Last edited by thatblondechik; 03-25-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Visit thatblondechik's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 188
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 3
Bullshit! There are plenty of people who know how to tune and to teach you just look a little harder. Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Are we REALLY bringing that into the forums? Seriously. If you want to talk to me about stuff like that call me. I'd rather not broadcast all over the internet that you and me currently have issues.

And I apologize for not being a total gold digger.

As for the CL posting...I'm sure we've all gotten so frustrated with these cars that we're wanting to sell them. But I wasn't ripping ANYONE off...the listing was "BEST OFFER." I was offered $7.5k...but being addicted to this car, I turned it down. And yea...I've been selling the car since the day I bought it...just haven't gotten an offer I like. I did get offered a Bimmer once...but I didn't have a grand to throw in to the deal.

And as for tuning myself...yea. I'm the first to admit...I CAN'T TUNE WORTH $HIT! And I'd rather not mess anything up. I'm all for doing everything myself, but I'm big enough to admit when I don't know something. I would love to learn to tune, but there's no one knowledgeable enough in my area.

Are you seriously saying there is NO ONE in the Austin area that can tune a DSM? I can name 6-7 off the top of my head, and I'm not even really in the loop.

Like I said, your profile doesn't show anything that would take more than a couple of hours to safely tune on your own. If you are using 2 "piggyback" systems together, then you need to change that. I don't know enough about the MAF translator setup, but from what I gather you just adjust the switches to your injectors and fine tune with the AFC. Road Race has a decent how to on the AFC tuning. You know what a/f you are shooting for. How hard is it to adjsut a few switches and push a few buttons on an AFC? You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.

And for the record, who would have known you 2 were having issues if you wouldn't have put it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoerr View Post
Bullshit!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

$7.5k?? Sh*t i woulda sold my car when it was still running for that much....

Wait a couple of months and ill sell you my ECMLink V3....

Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.
Guys have been stacking Translators with AFC's for years in order to run larger injectors than what an AFC alone will allow and still fine-tune the air / fuel ratio across the RPM range; I don't know where you're coming up with the two not being compatible.

Quote:
You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.
What she could sell the AFC, Translator, and fancy-pants logger for would practically buy DSMLink / ECMLink with little out-of-pocket investment other than possibly the need for a '95 ECU....I've told her this time and again as well. I don't think she'd need a dyno tune with ECMLink either as the software is very user-friendly once you get used to it.

The biggest benefit to the upgrade would be no more injector compensation through airflow correction- your injector size will be applied directly to the stock fuel map. No guesswork, no trusting the Translator.....you could literally set the global correction to your injector spec and the car should at least have stock driveabilty, just as a normal chip-tuned EPROM setup would.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Are you seriously saying there is NO ONE in the Austin area that can tune a DSM? I can name 6-7 off the top of my head, and I'm not even really in the loop.

Like I said, your profile doesn't show anything that would take more than a couple of hours to safely tune on your own. If you are using 2 "piggyback" systems together, then you need to change that. I don't know enough about the MAF translator setup, but from what I gather you just adjust the switches to your injectors and fine tune with the AFC. Road Race has a decent how to on the AFC tuning. You know what a/f you are shooting for. How hard is it to adjsut a few switches and push a few buttons on an AFC? You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.
I use my MAFT to compensate for injectors. The AFC, like Justin said, is for fine tuning. I'm no expert on anything...I just can't tune worth crap.

And as for not knowing enough people? I'm a full time student, I work full time, I help take care of a 2 year old and a 3 week old on a daily basis, and I have many other important things that kind of throw "socialaizing" and car crap to the bottom of the priority list. The car is a hobby and for the past year it's pretty much been on the back burner.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Bullshit! There are plenty of people who know how to tune and to teach you just look a little harder. Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.
It's a small town we live in, Wade. I wouldn't go bashing people.