The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission Build FWD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keltalon

Supporting VIP
Jun 29, 2003
Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
Well fellas I am, after building my engine, I am in need of an upgraded transmission for the fwd unit. I have been doing a lot of research , Talking to a lot of people and have decided, after breaking several transmission in the past, the one in the car now is good but will definitely need to be upgraded from stock. Therefore I am going to do the transmission build myself:cool: This will be couple with TRE and a shop here in atlanta. The process will include:

1- Taking all the individual gears to- REM Gear Polishing, Atlanta so they can be cryo treated, micro polished and then shot peened. jack's transmission speaks of this process at length

Gear Work and Strengthening – Jacks Transmissions LLC

I am just happy to have the shop who does it here in atlanta.

2-Sending the units to jon for synchro upgrade and assembly of the clusters to specs. The transmission case will also be cleaned, glass beaded and coated
REM Gear Polishing, Atlanta

2-next I will build my own trans with all the upgrades:rolleyes:
This should hold my 600-650hp goals:cool: I will keep this thread updated with pics as they come in.:cool:

Last edited:
For those of you who are like me wanting to build your own transmission here is a example video of how to properly tear down our trannies. This is not a dsm transmission but it is very similar. I know it helped me in taking the 5th gear off properly:). I thought I post it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-yfICJKkLhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey, kel you still on that obx ramhorn? I see in ## mod list you havent changed the ERL. Hows it holding up?

Hey, kel you still on that obx ramhorn? I see in ## mod list you havent changed the ERL. Hows it holding up?

Na I welded the erl and put it back on the ram horn and radiator had clearance issues. The welds are holding quite well.

Jon at TRE got the cluster today and will do what he does to them gear detail and shot peen. I will not rem finish this tranny, Jon feels it will hold up fine without that process so I will give it a shot I have four more fwd trannies sitting here if I need them:p

Sweet ill give you a heads up when im in the atl next, so I can check the beast out.

Let me know I should have everything done in a couple of weeks. Fuel, tranny and all the other necessary stuff. I have been texted a lot lately about when am I going to hit the dyno I am working on it:sneaky:

Okay picked up casing today just waiting on my gear clusters to get back from TRE.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372871282755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372871282755.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372871293696.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372871293696.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 201
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372871304136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372871304136.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 257
Mines been good i havent seen him in years but my trans was holding up, if hes done with dsms ill have to look elsewhere for my next rebuild.

Gears finally came in after 3 days, assembling getting desired preloads ordering correct shims, the transmission is ready to go back into the car! :p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374929986139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374929986139.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 255
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374930008387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374930008387.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 317
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374930032885.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374930032885.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 272
Complete List of what was done to the clusters. Gear detail is not listed but gears was detailed LOL!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374930392340.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374930392340.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 262
Nice man! Yeah I saw that a couple months ago, congrats btw. Did you go with a twin disk? Has she seen the track yet?

Jon's detail work on the gear sets is pretty badass. He's been doing my transmissions since early 2000s. Since trans shipping went through the roof I just send small stuff and do what your doing. That's how I got to spy the beautiful work Jon does.

Nice man! Yeah I saw that a couple months ago, congrats btw. Did you go with a twin disk? Has she seen the track yet?

Na I went with the southbend segmented ceramic with the new design ss-x pressure plate I must say I am very impressed the clutch is awesome:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back