The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Projector Headlights with HID's???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboDreamzGST

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2005
Howell, New_Jersey
Hey i have a 97 GST....i now have projector headlights on it....they are only projector headlights....they DO NOT have the halo's.....now from experience i can say that at night i can't see anything with these projectors....i tried to adjust them but they only go up or down...i can't adjust how wide of an angle the light projects at so it makes it very hard to see....do you think putting HID's in instead of the stock bulbs would help to make it brighter? i have been wanting to get HID's and i plan on getting them but im not too sure if i should put them on the projector headlights or on a set of the stock headlights....please help! thanks

Hi. Obviously, the hid lights will make the road more visable since they are brighter. The problem is that aftermarket headlights are often junk. I have projector headlights with HID lighting out of a nissan maxima. Visually it looks great but as far projecting light down the road, it isnt nearly as affective as my stock lights. This is due to the fact that the adjustments on the headlights themselves dont work properly. Not saying that all aftermarket lights perform badly but if I were to do it again, I would have kept the stock lights and put the xenon lights in them. GOOD LUCK!

TurboDreamzGST said:
Hey i have a 97 GST....i now have projector headlights on it....they are only projector headlights....they DO NOT have the halo's

Before investing a large chunk of cash into an HID system, try a simple set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They cost about $40 and made a world of difference in my car.

BlueTurboSpyder said:
I have projector headlights with HID lighting out of a nissan maxima. Visually it looks great but as far projecting light down the road, it isnt nearly as affective as my stock lights. This is due to the fact that the adjustments on the headlights themselves dont work properly.

This is because you are taking a D2R type bulb designed for a reflector-type headlight and stuffing them in a projector-type light designed for the optics of a halogen bulb. In order to have a good working conversion, you need the D2S projector bulbs with OEM HID projectors (from BMW, Audi, MB, Jaguar, etc).

Trust me from experience, the optics make a difference. I tried my HIDs with the 'stock' projector just for fun and the optics were as I expected, crap. Throwing in the HID bulbs just for the look is why aftermarket use of them was banned. Do it the right way and you will be far happier and safer in the end.

i have a the projectors with the halo and my ligth sucks too. so it doesn't really matter which type of bulb we put in the aftermarket projectors the width and length of the light it gives off will still be the same??

walker_tsi said:
i have a the projectors with the halo and my ligth sucks too. so it doesn't really matter which type of bulb we put in the aftermarket projectors the width and length of the light it gives off will still be the same??

Your projectors were designed for a halogen H3 bulb. You can upgrade to Silverstar H3 bulbs as I first did and you should see a noticable improvement.

If you want a legal/safe/working HID system, you will have to swap out more than just bulbs.

3, you have a high beam bulb, low beam bulb, and a turn signal/ parking lamp bulb.

blackGSX2g said:
Your projectors were designed for a halogen H3 bulb. You can upgrade to Silverstar H3 bulbs as I first did and you should see a noticable improvement.

If you want a legal/safe/working HID system, you will have to swap out more than just bulbs.

and I can vouch for his HID setup it is probably the brightest and best looking setup I have ever seen. :thumb:

i would be looking into the quality of the reflectors/projectors. My projectors put out awesome light coverage and have a great cutoff line and they are only el chepo halogen bulbs. My projectors were seized from a lexus and it makes all the difference in the world. if your bothered by the light output then get a better housing or one meant for hid. the bulbs only affect how bright the light is, not how it is aimed and distributed.

putting HID's into a faulty/cheap projector setting will be terrible, you will have no cut off line and blind other people. You would be best off retrofitting some projectors as well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back