The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HX-52 installed pics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcjnow

Probationary Member
Aug 22, 2004
waterville, New_York
Does anyone have any pics of a HX-52 installed in a DSM? I have been reading about them and saw the comparison pics but how about one installed? Just wanted something to drool over and put some dreams in my head that wont come true... :D
CJ

Does anyone have any pics of a HX-52 installed in a DSM? I have been reading about them and saw the comparison pics but how about one installed? Just wanted something to drool over and put some dreams in my head that wont come true... :D
CJ

They're not expensive so I don't know why you couldn't run one. As for pictures check page 13 of the holset part 4 thread boostedgsx has pictures of his on somewhere around there.

Edit: I see your Nt that would be a good reason why you couldn't run one LOL

Eh I have a HX52 that I was going to put on my 420a, but I switched to a garrett gt40r instead simply bc the hx52 has a t6 flange on the hot side and i dont feel like buying a new hotside and trying to spool that piece of shit. if you want to go that big, go with a 35r or something along those lines. If you cant afford a BB Garrett go for a standard bearing one, the hx52 is simply a lagfest. :beatentodeath:

After reading a thread started by biglady112 about her friends car with a hx52 and how fast it actually spools for the size it makes me very interested. Also a 35r or 40r or any ball-bearing turbo for that matter is mad expensive. Maybe I would have to deal with lag but if I can find this trbo off a semi or box truck I can get it pretty cheap I'll bet. Only thing that might change my mind is having to build a bottom end that can handle 40+ psi.
CJ

Eh I have a HX52 that I was going to put on my 420a, but I switched to a garrett gt40r instead simply bc the hx52 has a t6 flange on the hot side and i dont feel like buying a new hotside and trying to spool that piece of shit. if you want to go that big, go with a 35r or something along those lines. If you cant afford a BB Garrett go for a standard bearing one, the hx52 is simply a lagfest. :beatentodeath:

I own a hx52 and they are a perfect t4 but with very minor opening of the sholes you can use a t4 manifold I know both I and another member use a t4 manifold with out hx52's. Second this turbo is not for beginners or people that worried about lag but even with that said it spools just as good if not better than a gt42r and s372 which are in it's class not a gt35r which isn't even close in power wise. Your trying to compare a 65lb/min turbo to a 90lb/min turbo. Not to mention the hx52 comes in a billet wheel form(HTA tech) which makes it spool even faster and make even more power.

edit: Just to add I won't say exactly how cheap my turbo was but lets just say my manifold cost twice as much as my turbo and my manifold was on sale when I bought it.

Give me some pressure ratios and the surge line. one for the hx52 and one for a 35r and then ill debate this with you.

Attachments

• 316578075_1079705773_0.jpeg
    316578075_1079705773_0.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 4,906
An hx52 is going to make out at around 700ish hp. a 4202r is going to max out at about a 1000hp. if you were to size compare a hx52 to a garrett, you would be looking more at the lines of a 4088r tops. and no a hx52 is never going to out spool that. the turbo runs standard journal bearings. running a garrett with a BB cartridge will destroy it.

Play nice you two... we don't tolerate inflammatory remarks in the technical forums reserved for proven members.

If you look at this thread: The Holset turbo FAQ - HybridZ it looks like the HX-52 flows around 87 lb/min (scroll towards the bottom of the thread). According to Garrett's compressor maps, the 4088R maxes out at around, if not just under, 70 lb/min (TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog). It looks like the HX-52 is more along the lines of a 4294 as far as max flow goes (TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog). Also, as far as the entire BB vs. Journal bearing debate goes, a lot of journal bearing turbos have shown themselves to be able to spool comparably with BB turbos due to advances in blade design (see the BW and Holset turbos which have so recently become popular).

were talking about 2 diff turbos here. im talking about a hx52 with a t6 hot side, which is what this kid is trying to get. He said he wants to get one off a truck, most likely he is going to end up with a t6 side. also on your link i only see hx35 and hx40?

Attachments

• dougie2_mfg_gs_005.jpg
    dougie2_mfg_gs_005.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,557
were talking about 2 diff turbos here. im talking about a hx52 with a t6 hot side, which is what this kid is trying to get. He said he wants to get one off a truck, most likely he is going to end up with a t6 side. also on your link i only see hx35 and hx40?

Listen just stop. Your spreadig miss-info all over this thread. THEY ARE NOT T6's PERIOD!!! I have one sitting right next to me and have talked to everyon on here that has one and runs one. NONE of which are T6. They are rated to 90lbs/min which we all know ideally 10lbs/mi = 100 hp so that's 900whp butof course you take away some to be realistic and your looking at about a 800hp turb. Jake(topstreet) and EVil eagle before they broke were making abou that much with GT42r's and spooling about the same as biglady showed in his HX52 thread. Go read the part 4 of the Holset thread and then read up on etended tip borg warner tech and then come tell me about the whole bb vs journal bearing turbo debate. Garret is old tech face it. FP had to come up with the HTA to compete cause it was getting ugly for a plain jane GT35r. WHich by the way like I said the HX52 comes with a billet wheel just like the HTA turbos.

Those numbers are for trucks not turbo 4 cyl high rev engines. This is straight from Biglady's thread about his friends hx52 which he's tuning:

Important information.

Dsmlink
HX-52
Eagle/Wiesco 2.0L
Crower 414's
Stock intake manifold
7" tall air/air intercooler
Revhard exhuast manifold

Boost was in the 26-27psi range. Blue line on graphs are boost. Best pull was 530whp. This was on a Dynapack Dyno. It is uber conservative compared to other dynos in town. Reads a hair lower to about the same as a Mustang Dyno. We made 15 pulls today with all pulls being 500-530whp. Not bad for wastegate pressure.

Need I say more

As I said in the parentheses, you need to scroll down. Also HX-52 is neither an HX-50 nor an HX-55, FWIW.

An hx52 is going to make out at around 700ish hp. a 4202r is going to max out at about a 1000hp. if you were to size compare a hx52 to a garrett, you would be looking more at the lines of a 4088r tops. and no a hx52 is never going to out spool that. the turbo runs standard journal bearings. running a garrett with a BB cartridge will destroy it.

First of all the hx52 flows over 90lb/min. Second, the 4088r flows around the limit of the hx40 pro. And the hx40 pro has been proven to spool faster than the gt3076r. There are logs and a dyno graph proving it as evidence on the holset threads. The gt3076r is far smaller than the gt35r, much less the gt40. Research, research, research. Don't respond unless you know what you are talking about. Third, thanx for your contribution. But my holset h1c which flows more than a 20g spools very close to as fast as your 14b with the 7cm^2 turbine housing. Do you really think that a ballbearing 50-trim or the gt30r (which is about what the H1C flows) could even come close!??

Thanx for your effort: but that link from holset shows .75 kg/sec. .75kg/sec = 99lb/min. .75kg/sec X 60sec/min = 45kg/min. 45 kg/min X 2.2046 lb/kg = 99lb/min. . . So what's this about the hx5* series turbos not flowing enough for 1000hp?

OP, install pics can be found on the holset threads. If there's a dsm not there with one and snapped shots of it, they're not a member of dsmtuners. There are either links to pics or actual shots in that thread.

One thing to add: the hx52 turbine inlet is close enough to the t4 inlet pattern to simply widen the holes a little on a t4 flange to make it fit. . . As well the mass flow perameter used to measure the pro 52 (hx52 compressor) on the actual map convers over to 92 lb/min which happens to be the same massflow perameter displayed on the gt4202r map. And I'll guarantee you that because of the faster hx52 spool speed (there is a 2.0l and a 1.6l 4g63 and 4g61 running this holset now), the holset will "destroy it". More power earlier with at least the same peak power, nevermind that it take less energy to keep the compressor/turbine combo moving, because it is more efficient. Therefore, more gases are wastegated for the same boost and flow, thus overall ve goes up and you get more bang per psi with the hx52. Ball bearing cartridges are a band aid for poor compressor and turbine design. Garrett attacked the symptoms of lag instead of the cause.

First of all the hx52 flows over 90lb/min. Second, the 4088r flows around the limit of the hx40 pro. And the hx40 pro has been proven to spool faster than the gt3076r. There are logs and a dyno graph proving it as evidence on the holset threads. The gt3076r is far smaller than the gt35r, much less the gt40. Research, research, research. Don't respond unless you know what you are talking about. Third, thanx for your contribution. But my holset h1c which flows more than a 20g spools very close to as fast as your 14b with the 7cm^2 turbine housing. Do you really think that a ballbearing 50-trim or the gt30r (which is about what the H1C flows) could even come close!??

Thanx for your effort: but that link from holset shows .75 kg/sec. .75kg/sec = 99lb/min. .75kg/sec X 60sec/min = 45kg/min. 45 kg/min X 2.2046 lb/kg = 99lb/min. . . So what's this about the hx5* series turbos not flowing enough for 1000hp?

OP, install pics can be found on the holset threads. If there's a dsm not there with one and snapped shots of it, they're not a member of dsmtuners. There are either links to pics or actual shots in that thread.

From the holset rep himself LOL j/k matt. I already linked them to picks of the hx52 though but everything this man says when it comes to holset is from either first hand experience or tons or research. Something other member could benefit from ;)

All this is just common sense. . . But, yes it is rather difficut to sift through the holset threads to get this information. However, all of this is in there.

Give me some pressure ratios and the surge line. one for the hx52 and one for a 35r and then ill debate this with you.

To get specific:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
79509d1201120167-holset-turbos-part-3-super-40.jpg

Holset uses kg/sec X (K/MPa)^.5 as their massflow perameter, or M*(T/P)^.5, which is a unit of volume when referencing the ideal gas law, since mass of air can be derived from the number of moles of air. The conversion can be found on any holset published map with lb/min and this perameter (see below map of the 8blade hx40). The conversion being 1 kgK/MPaSec ≈ .8 lb/min. The above hx52 (pro 52) compressor map ends at about 115. 115 X .8 = 92lb/min = .70kg/sec.
78377d1197242885-holset-turbos-part-3-hx40_3.jpg

All the other hx40 compressor maps show a 127K rpm curve. But this above one does not. Yet, all the tip speeds of the hx40s are about the same at each rpm curve, since there exducers are the same. This one falls in the 60-62 lb/min range extrapolating the rest of the map. And goes along with what others have done with the 8blade compressor. As you can see the gt35r compressor is more on the level of the most common and smallest hx40 (the 8 blade compressor). The super 40 (also pictured n the holset graphs) is a 67lb/min compressor that spools to full boost at 4100rpms with 272-style cams. Which clearly is a faster spool than an BB gt35r and clearly flows much more. And clearly has a higher efficieny, considering that the gt35r compressor map doesn't even show any rpm curves up to 3.5 PR; much less 4.5PR, where the super 40 goes. The gt35r is off the map at 33psi no matter what flow. And that same holset super 40 turbo in the BOLT ON bullseye power housing has pushed to 653whp. Not to many gt35r turbos have seen the light of 650+ whp. The surge line of the gt35r is terrible compared to any hx40 and is closer to the hx52. Look how slinder the gt35r map is past 2.5PR. 2.5PR is mearly 22psi. The hx52 is in another relm vs. a gt35r. It will lag but yield 250+ more horsepower and spool faster than it's garrtt counterpart the gt4202r.

If you bought the hx52 for a goal that a gt35r can reach, then yea, you'll not like the lag. And you've bought the wrong turbo for your goal. If you had bought a hx40 pro you would have more flow and faster spool than a gt35r. And your core would be rebuildable, nevermind the world of difference in the initial cost. The hx52 turbo is for those looking for gt42 flow but don't want to pay the garrett overinflated price and see the unimpressive spool speeds of the overrated ball bearing certer cartridge.

To put the final nail in the coffin, it looks like the hx52 does have the same surge as the gt35r after all. Hopefully you purchased a gt4088r or smaller. The gt4092r has a much worse surge line than the hx52 you desided against. The gt4088r has an ever so slightly better surge line than the gt35r. . .

Attachments

• Holsets vs gt35r.jpg
    Holsets vs gt35r.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,957
Slippi84, I have a HX55 just sittin in my garage. Its a turbo that I look in the future to run on the car. Since you have a great deal of knowledge about these turbos, can you give me any suggestions or what to expect? My modlist on my profile is up to date.

PS, sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Slippi84, I have a HX55 just sittin in my garage. Its a turbo that I look in the future to run on the car. Since you have a great deal of knowledge about these turbos, can you give me any suggestions or what to expect? My modlist on my profile is up to date.

PS, sorry if I hijacked this thread.

I know about the holsets but your asking scotty pippen about basketball in front of MJ LOL. Dsm-onster is the holset master LOL. I will say that by looking at yoru profile you don't have the engine to support that turbo atleast where it would shine over say a hx40. Like you could run it but you would have to run lower boost and make hx40 power with slower spool. If you were looking into a high reving or stroker motor than your good but a stock or even plainly forged 2.0 motor your not taking advantage of that thing. Others will say ditch it it's too big but hell go for it. Just know that you will need a real good motor as that thing is a over 1kwhp turbo. Just to give you an idea a hx40 is a 700whp turbo in 60mm 6 or 7 blade form and a hx52 is a 900whp turbo and those are realistic not inflated numbers.

Ahhh... some people just need to learn that putting in the fattest turbo in is the only to power.

?? I have no idea what that means but I take it your saying big turbos aren't worth it and in a hx55 case you may be right but if you could run 9's on a 50 trim then shep wouldn't be wasting his time running a gt42r now would he.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back