The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Looking for a clean awd dsm...and the journey to finding it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gboost

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
**Update**

So I've looked at a couple more dsm's this week... I looked at a 2g that I found on craigslist and I could write a book about everything that was wrong with that car or more important the engine. Not worth my time to write it or probably your's to read it.

I also posted a add on craigslist stating that I am looking for a clean awd dsm and got a text the next morning from what appeared to be this guys (wife)?? o.0 and she texted me a basic side pic and said that the car had $20g's in parts alone...asking $8.

I was curious, so I checked it out today and there were some interesting things going on with this car... HEY DSM JUNKIES! Tell me what you think about what I saw: Clean body, nice rims/tires, after market hood scoop with some rust just need some sanding and paint but overall I would say the body was in excellent shape.

However, I found the engine to have magical qualities to it. For example he had no aftermarket fpr, ecu, injectors, or even the turbo and yet he claims 450-500hp!! The bottom end must have unicorns and fairy's flying around... He had a safc, a wideband, and a boost pressure/temp gauge combo that looked ancient. Maybe he took the good stuff off? I don't know if he's expecting people to ignorantly dish out 8k for a car that is worth 3k under the assumption that it has 500 horses or if he just honestly thinks it has this much hp. The sad part to that last statement...I think it's the later.

I have honestly never put a wrench on a dsm. I've owned one but been traveling the world in the military and never been able to do anything with it. How do I some little to no experienced kid no more about these cars then all these people that drive and (attempt) to mod them?!

I'll keep waiting for that clean dsm and mod it meticulously and properly.

My tip is look for a stock one. It took me a good 4 - 5 yrs before i bought my GSX. Only because I was picky about color. I was originally wanting a manual but when I saw mine for sale I instantly went & looked it. Took my Bf who is a mechanic sense im new to the whole turbo aspect. Test drove it 3 different times before I told him I would buy it. But I would deff look for a stock one & close to stock as possible. Bc they may not know much about the mods & u may not know if there done correctly or if there even still working good. But good luck on ## search for one =)

I've been texting a local guy from the forums and he has a laser for sale for $700. Hopefully I can go check it out soon looks pretty clean from picture I got. He said the door and fender has damage but already has another door and fender so if the rest of the body is repairable for cheap then this might be the best deal I can find. With the money I save for buying the car cheap I can use it toward mods and build it myself. We'll see...

I bought 2 2G AWD DSMs locally last year, keep holding out for the right one. The second you compromise, two stock and clean DSMs will show up.

True! I took my time looking for my Jetta and I'm very happy with it. Clean, 5speed, cheap insurance, already modded and done right, TURBO! LOL That's my DD though. Now I'm looking for a real monster/ project car. I'll be patient and like you said about compromise I'll only get the car if I know I wont have a shred of doubt that I'll regret it.
P.S. I wish I had your luck! Find me one LOL 0.-

True! I took my time looking for my Jetta and I'm very happy with it. Clean, 5speed, cheap insurance, already modded and done right, TURBO! LOL That's my DD though. Now I'm looking for a real monster/ project car. I'll be patient and like you said about compromise I'll only get the car if I know I wont have a shred of doubt that I'll regret it.
P.S. I wish I had your luck! Find me one LOL 0.-

If you give me some details I'll keep an eye open for you. 1g/2g, AT/MT, stock/modded, running/trailer home, how far you're willing to travel, budget, etc..

Same here, we just had one sell for $2200 that was immaculate. Had some mods on it but they were done right. Missed out on a 91 Laser, ran good, broken windshield. Guy sold it for $300 befoe I could get over there. Kid was driving off it in when I got there.

I hope not to have to drive too far. Having to drive too many hours just to see it and then possibly have to drive all the way home empty handed doesn't sound like fun. An hour maybe two away at most...for now. I'm not that desperate yet haha.

AWD, MT, 1 or 2g just has to be clean. If it's modded I would like it to be done properly and tuned properly fpr,dsmlink,wideband etc. I hope to not have to spend more then $5k unless it's very modded and extremely clean.

If it has an engine I want it to be running properly tuned with low idle. I think I would almost prefer a very clean shell but I won't pass on a good 6bolt.

I actually saw that one earlier but it is pretty far away...I have a friend in that area though so maybe I could talk her into coming down here and take me up there to look at the car. I can't drive myself if I'm going to buy a car 0.-

Just text him asking for more pictures.

Thanks for the heads up!

I hope not to have to drive too far. Having to drive too many hours just to see it and then possibly have to drive all the way home empty handed doesn't sound like fun. An hour maybe two away at most...for now. I'm not that desperate yet haha.
You will be. I don't remember the dozens of hours I've spent on the road to look at cars and parts only to returned empty handed. I usually took my girlfriend along and we made a mini road trip out of it - it helps.

AWD, MT, 1 or 2g just has to be clean. If it's modded I would like it to be done properly and tuned properly fpr,dsmlink,wideband etc. I hope to not have to spend more then $5k unless it's very modded and extremely clean.

If it has an engine I want it to be running properly tuned with low idle. I think I would almost prefer a very clean shell but I won't pass on a good 6bolt.
Noted - have you tried SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist

Last edited:
I'm very seriously considering the syper that's in the classifieds. It's had a awd conversion done to it and it has a 20g with supporting mods. Comes with linkv3, fpr, and a wideband so it was properly tuned and modified. A perfect summertime toy in my opinion.

"If anyone should have any reason why these two should not be together in holy matrimony speak now or forever hold your peace."

Interesting find. Not familiar with the 2Gs AWD set up. 1Gs it isn't that easy of a swap. Lot of body and undercarriage to replace. Would really want to get it on a lift and check out the quality of the work.

How much are they wanting for it. Hard to imagine some putting that much time, effort & money into their car and then selling it.

Yeah the fact that the guy did the awd swap himself with another guy is kind of scary but at the same time looking at the rest of the car and after talking to him the car was built very meticulously. Of course buying a modded car you almost have to take their word for it unless you spend a couple days looking at everything on the car or it's a friend that you watched build their car. I don't like the fact I have to drive three hours just to look at the car before buying it but from all the information I've gathered this is a very well built and tuned car and well worth the price. Of course like you said there is also the question of why is someone after spending all the money and time building a car like this selling it and for so little but the fact that the guy is in the military and away from home and won't be able to drive the car for a long time is a decent reason.

I do have a question though: the only I don't like about the car is it still has a stock internals 7bolt... With all the supporting mods for the 20g turbo and well over 400hp how safe is the 7bolt from crank walk or throwing rods? How much horsepower can the block handle with stock internals? I honestly have no idea I mean I know people have around 300hp with stock internals all the time but most of the time that's on a 6bolt block so I don't know about the 7 bolt...

Yes I know it's been asked 1,000 times it looks like from the little research I've done the stock 7bolt block might not be reliable after 400+hp maybe I should keep boost down and be sure to never red line it. Not that I would red line the car anyway =P

I am looking at a 97 gsx. The bad news on it is it broke the timing belt on it. The really bad news is the motor is sitting in the back of the car. The car is a stick and in good shape. I figure that would be a good starting point to do some mods to the motor.

I am looking at a 97 gsx. The bad news on it is it broke the timing belt on it. The really bad news is the motor is sitting in the back of the car. The car is a stick and in good shape. I figure that would be a good starting point to do some mods to the motor.

I'm sorry this is off topic but do you have any family in the military? I was just in the navy and had a guy with the last name Klepper in my squadron...Just thought it was weird to run into someone with a unique last name like that. Also, you're in Iowa! Nice man I'm actually a noob but I do research and I'm desperately trying to learn as fast as I can :)

If the engine is already out and you want a project car and you know you would enjoy and be capable of properly tackling the engine rebuild then more power to it! The head will need rebuilt/replaced as you are probably aware, if the belt slips then valves are probably junk. This also gives you time to have it ported and put some 272's in it to help with low end torque and better power to redline. It really depends on your long term goal as to what you want to do with the block though, from the research I've done the stock 6bolt is pretty strong when maintained and under a good tune if the previous owner hasn't done a 6bolt swap I would consider it while the 2g 7bolt is out.

Good luck!

I was just planning to rebuild the motor. I know nothing about these cars. I was wanting to go for around 350 hp or so. I will be asking alot of questions and doing alot of searching on here but limited for right now. I plan to pick it up in a couple months from now and take my time and get it going for next year. The color isn't my first choice its purple but i think I could get it for grand since she is still paying for it.

Hello 1gboost. What's your budget? I've been entertaining the idea of selling my '99 GSX. I pretty much guarantee its probably the cleanest 2g you'll find. I'm located up in central WI. There is a 105k miles on the car and about 10k miles on a rebuild that was done in 2007 just to freshen it up. I have many pics of the rebuild as well as the car itself. It has 19" Racing Hart C5's with almost brand new Yokohama Parada Spec2 tires. It's has many mods including DSMLINK, PTE 50trim turbo, Magnus intake, PTE 780cc injectors, Fidanza flywheel, Griffin FMIC, built head, PLX wideband o2 sensor, TRE built tranny. I can list all the mods in greater detail as there are many more and send more pics if you have a level interest in it.

Attachments

• P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 77
You aint kidding thats a clean 2g! Impressive man I can tell from those two pictures that you babied that car. I'm actually driving to Missouri to look at a built spyder and I seriously think I'm driving it home. It's in the classifieds but if you're curious it has a 20g with all supporting mods, dsmlink, wideband, and best of all it's been converted to awd. He's selling it for 5k and it's extremely clean I almost feel like I'm stealing the car considering it's pushing well over 400hp and the work done to convert it to awd. I'll let everyone know tomorrow night if I do get it and if not...I'm still looking!

I will be asking alot of questions and doing alot of searching on here but limited for right now. The color isn't my first choice its purple

I'm in the same boat man. I'll be doing a lot of research as well and LOL purple... isn't that bad of a color but everyone likes a new paint job 0.-

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I'll check the classifieds out. I'd definitely have to draw more than 5k for mine. Not that I can get all my money back out of it, I have 2k in just the wheels and tires. Yes, I'm very meticulous about my car. Had a hard time locating one so clean. Went all the way to Indiana to get her. Worse yet, my first car was a '97 GST. Went to San Fran to get that one. If you don't end up buying that AWD converted spyder, don't hesitate to get back to me. I don't need to sell it but I'm 41 now and I'd like to maybe just get a 4 door grocery getter LOL

I got family in Wi and friends going to a concert up there in a couple weeks so if I don't take the spyder I'll definitely get back to you :p BTW if you want a 4 door grocery getter how about a jetta 1.8t? I'm not planning on selling it but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Well I'm driving to Missouri to look at the sypder in about 30mins. Wish me luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back