The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Zero Wheel Drive???!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Havoc

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Beaverton, Oregon
Ok So the last week or so my AWD has been running GST mode. We thought it broke a transfercase or rearend. This morning coming to a stop, then taking off I hear a loud bang, and then no forward movement, NOTHING not in ANY forward gear, 1st-5th. Reverse works FINE! I backed it up all the way home. I've heard linkage, center diff, front diff, rear diff, x-fer case, but not sure where to start looking. Anyone ever heard of this happening at all? I've never heard of it with ANY car let alone a DSM. Only drivetrain mods are the symborski shifter kit, brass bushings in the cable ends, and an ACT-2600 with street disk. I had been running with severly retarded timing for a while since the rebuilt top end. I had just set base timing up to 10-14 BTDC and boost up to 16.5 psi settling to 15 at redline with no knock. That made me happy, as I was making quite a bit more power than before the new top end. I'm guessing 30-35 HP was added over what it was before the top end rebuild. Would that of been enough to liquify the tranny? Need help soon, I'm down to the Starion, and it has its own tranny, and rear brake problems!

Black_Havoc said:
Ok So the last week or so my AWD has been running GST mode. We thought it broke a transfercase or rearend. This morning coming to a stop, then taking off I hear a loud bang, and then no forward movement, NOTHING not in ANY forward gear, 1st-5th. Reverse works FINE! I backed it up all the way home. I've heard linkage, center diff, front diff, rear diff, x-fer case, but not sure where to start looking. Anyone ever heard of this happening at all? I've never heard of it with ANY car let alone a DSM. Only drivetrain mods are the symborski shifter kit, brass bushings in the cable ends, and an ACT-2600 with street disk. I had been running with severly retarded timing for a while since the rebuilt top end. I had just set base timing up to 10-14 BTDC and boost up to 16.5 psi settling to 15 at redline with no knock. That made me happy, as I was making quite a bit more power than before the new top end. I'm guessing 30-35 HP was added over what it was before the top end rebuild. Would that of been enough to liquify the tranny? Need help soon, I'm down to the Starion, and it has its own tranny, and rear brake problems!

Hey Hey Hey, Starions are great cars :D

Is the tranny leaking any fluid? We are going to start pulling the tranny out of my buddies car for the same reason, but we found a small piece of his bell housing and the hole that it came ouf of right beside where the input shaft comes out of the tranny.

My opinion based on the same experience.... You just stripped the splines off the output shaft due to a bad center diff. The splines wear out in one direction but have just enough "tooth" to still engage in reverse.

Pull the X-fer case and check the splines. If they're shot you'll need to replce the output shaft, the input shaft in the xfer case, and fix your center diff or it will happen again. Go ahead, ask how me how I know that!

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Typically when a major part of the drivetrain fails, as in the rear tires are no longer powered in an awd car, it's typically not advised to continue driving it as though nothing ever happened.

4pistons said:
My opinion based on the same experience.... You just stripped the splines off the output shaft due to a bad center diff. The splines wear out in one direction but have just enough "tooth" to still engage in reverse.

Pull the X-fer case and check the splines. If they're shot you'll need to replce the output shaft, the input shaft in the xfer case, and fix your center diff or it will happen again. Go ahead, ask how me how I know that!

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:
How do you know that :tease:

Wow lots of replies. I'll yank the tranny this weekend. then head to mitsu and see how much they retail the center diff's for. TRE has them for 550... Anyone know one cheaper? I have to get it as cheap as possible. New unit is prefered.

Black_Havoc said:
Wow lots of replies. I'll yank the tranny this weekend. then head to mitsu and see how much they retail the center diff's for. TRE has them for 550... Anyone know one cheaper? I have to get it as cheap as possible. New unit is prefered.

I've been doing a lot of research on tranny rebuilds, center diff's, etc since my tranny is on it's way out. It seems to me that TRE has the best prices, I would go with them. A lot of people of the boards are having success with their trannies as well.

Not true. I reversed my ass all the way home too. The reverse idler gear doesn't seem affected by a broken center differential. I've got my tranny in pieces right now due to a broken center diff. Every things fine except the spider gears.I also drove "gst-style" until I broke some more stuff. I agree with Mavisky now, if somethings wrong park it.

2SLOW2G said:
Not true. I reversed my ass all the way home too. The reverse idler gear doesn't seem affected by a broken center differential.
I was referring to the front diff on the FWD's. When it goes out, you have nothing, including no reverse.

In the case of the AWD's 3 differentials, it seems that he would have to blow 2 of the 3 to have complete drivetrain loss. That probably wasn't the case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back