The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice work guys. No welding for me for a bit. Back surgery next week. Bummer

Made a cold air intake using pie cuts. BTW, i was trying to conserve my argon and ended up welding this hole thing with only 8-10 cfh of gas. Before i started, had about 1750 pressure in the bottle, and after this just a hair over 500. That also included 4 tacks on each pie. If i would've been welding it all up using 15-20 cfh, would've probably used up the whole bottle. Just throwing it out there for other guys wanting to weld on a budget. I did use a gas lense though :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Inside the pipe after a few pieces were already welded..

Bro that's amazing. Did you mock it up with cardboard first?
Ugh I need to learn how to do this

Thanks Gamble, btw good luck with the surgery!

No, no cardboard was harmed during this procedure. Just lots of fit-ups and starring at it for hours trying to visualize the final outcome.

Some good ol 316[DOUBLEPOST=1407818958][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looks nice, any pictures of the backside of the root pass?
Unless he wire brushed the root pass, that manifold is single pass welds, with no gap, possibly not full pen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 109
How many cfm should be used when back purging stainless? Also what tips would you have for welding stainless to the cast turbo housings/manifolds? My understanding was that it couldn't be done without an extreme chance of the casting becoming brittle and cracking further.

I have also seen mixed info on how to convert flow ratings. I have googled and have seen some calculators be way off what welders have said. My regulator reads in LPM, is it correct to say that if my regulator reads at 7 LPM that would effectively convert to about 15 CFH? I appreciate the support.

I just got me a Y fitting and was hunting for this info. Thanks guys.

Out of pure curiosity, wouldn't having those two wastegates mounted like that only be really effective in diverting half of the exhaust gases? I would assume the other two cylinders to just keep expanding through the turbo. Or is it having half of the gases dumped is enough to keep the pressure equilibrium for whatever WG pressure you're running/ Just wondering really, I'm sure you have a good reason for it. Looks great by the way!

On second thought, I suppose those large WGs would definitely be the path of least resistance (highest pressure differential).

Last edited:
5-8 cfh for purge.

having double wastegates is only necessary for a devided manifold. So it works like a single would but for 2 cyl. (Most likely 1&2 and 3&4 because if it was 1&4 and 2&3 they would have the same stroke per side and i feel that would be odd because you would want a more rapid pulse) but i dont know what I'm really talking anout in that regard. I have a thread on link fourms of some
Of my stuff.

Last edited:
So I have read through all 93 pages and have really gotten the urge to learn how to weld. Problem is I am not sure where to start, my mind instantly shot to TIG as it is super versatile and would probably allow me to do any project that I would want to tackle down the line. That said my wallet disagrees with my mind because I can't really shell out the money for a Miller or Lincoln and I am not too sure of which import machines are really good because the reviews are all over the board. Ultimately I am just trying to see what all is recommended by you all here, because reading all of this thread has let me see just how much all of you have improved.

I would love to go take classes to get formally trained but around here the only school that I can find does not work with my schedule, So I am going to be pretty much self-taught until I can make things work out.

Thanks in advance

Gamble thanks for the tip. I am just curious as to what you guys recommend to start with as far as consumables... I know that I am going to want a gas lens and I love those pyrex cups but I don't think they are going to be in my possession any time soon, unless the right deal came along. Oh 1 last thought any recommendations on fixed shade helmets and other safety items (gloves and so-on.)

Thank you again

I have been wanting to try that longevity powerview elite. Digital display and $129 seems like a sweet hood for the price.
The stubby gas lens kit 3/32 size on eBay is only $20. Get that

That's just the start. So many products I want LOL and so many I have used that work well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back