The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im going tonthe track on sunday and see what i run on 30psi hx40 .55 then I'll swap the t3 and see what changes happen. My VE is gonna be all kinda of effed so I'll prob need to spend the week re tuning, good thingni have 2 weeks off school :)

Nice man, tear it up:hellyeah:! Post up the results afterward. I can't wait to get my car running again it's been too long! Especially stoked to see results with my new Holset setups. I got an HY35 that I want to run first before the HX40. Now I got to make two downpipes though, oh well more practice welding.

Is there anything wrong with fusion welding a manifold? or do you need the filler for like flexibility?

Originally i was going to design and tack my own manifold and have somebody else weld it up for me, but now i really want to do it myself.

just need to get my welding up to pay first.

Heres some of the welding i did tonight, not my best work.. Just some scrap i pulled out of a bucket at a friends shop, only briefly tried to clean it up.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And prib, i've allready started my own! i failed terribly on the collector and just bought one, so i ended up spending about 300+ maybe 350$ish +..

Had to have room for the downpipe so i made room for it to come down through the middle of the runners

Last edited:
Stainless is hard to learn, I wouldn't weld it just yet until you have LOTS of practice. Also you need to back purge it and use filler. If it didn't have to hold up any weight and wasn't exposed to so much heat then a no filler weld would be ok. Mt .02 of course.

i FINALLY got to try out my Longevity 200sx. I have never TIG'd before, i did not have any acetone to wipe anything down. I didn't use any filler either (didn't have any)

Just fusion welded 2 mild steel pieces of angle iron, they were like 1/16" i think.

Used 1/16 red tungsten and a #7 cup (they came with the machine). 0.3s pre flow, 3s post flow, clearance effect was at +2.

I find the stock torch to be really bulky/cumbersome, I was using 2 hands for all of these so I can't imagine having to feed filler wire in there as well. Coordinating the foot control into the process will take some time. I keep forgetting i am controlling the arc with my foot.

I can't wait to pick up my own argon tank so I can spend some more time practicing!

just confirming that A/C will work using that torch? I don't know if A/C works on the stick side.

Practiced tonight on stainless. Finally getting good results!

Wow nice! what were your settings - amperage, gas glow, tungsten, filler rod and all that good stuff! that is pretty much exactly what im looking for as well!

84 amps.
9 torch. 1/16 blue tungsten. #8 cup. Gas lens. 20cfh argon flow (probably 18cfh when on the pedal)
.5 pre flow, 5sec post flow.
No pulse. No fancy features.
1/16 308L filler.

looking good Gamble!

Gonna see if i can pick up that torch, some tungsten and a gas lens kit from that seller.

See if the auction is for a 17 torch or a 9 torch. The 17 is the same head as the oem one and it's a good torch. The 9 is smaller and easier to move around but doesn't handle the amperage the 17 can.

It's for the 9 series. I prefer to learn with something that allows for a little more dexterity. If i need to weld something thicker than what the 9 can handle I still have the stock torch :)

I placed an order for that, a gas lens kit, 2% lanthanated 1/16, some 1/16 collets, 1lb 308, 5lbs er70s6 & 2lbs 4043 rods. Got a jacket and gloves from a different seller.

Should be picking up a 40cuft tank tomorrow or wednesday

Last edited by a moderator:
cubic foot, is that how the argon tanks are measured? i always thought it was in lbs, which i believe mine is 80lbs and i go through it fairly quick just playing around.

You can go with a stubby gas lens for a wp17, and it basically feels like a 9, a tad larger but for the most part is really close.

Although i believe the 1/16 tungsten will be pushed past its limits before the 9 style torch.

84 amps.
9 torch. 1/16 blue tungsten. #8 cup. Gas lens. 20cfh argon flow (probably 18cfh when on the pedal)
.5 pre flow, 5sec post flow.
No pulse. No fancy features.
1/16 308L filler.

Thats what i like to hear! So just all in the technique because the only thing i haven't tried is the filler rod, ive only used ers702.

Last edited:
Yes it's in cubic feet.
Er702 wire will not give you colors from my experience. I've seen one guy do it, but it wasn't anywhere near as colorful.

Finished the o3 housing. Vband clamp hits oil filter almost so that thing isnt comming off diring an oil change without removing it. Now i have to figure out the perfect angle to connect to m megan down pipe

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366673402.526177.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366673402.526177.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:
I jus wanna get it running right now, vbands are easy to remove it doesnt touc but it won't let it off the housing. Doesnt bother me, i can also swivel the o2 housing forword an it clears the housing fine. But then it brings things closer to the intercooler piping.

Although i believe the 1/16 tungsten will be pushed past its limits before the 9 style torch.

I changed the order up and got 3/32" collets/lenses

Should get my paws on everything on the 7th/8th :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back