The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I havent gotten any email replies from daniel. So ill let you know as soon as i do.

Thr helmet brand is, rhino welding helmets. And ive been using it on the same amperage for nearly a week allready. First time i ever had an issue was last night.

Is the 9 the smallest torch?

Ok so the torch my friend has is a water cooled wp20, and that thing is tiny!

Any tips for tig'ing 2.5" galvanized exhaust tubing? pie cuts.

And i purchased new batteries for my helmet thats only a week old, still flickers and flashes.

itll be fine for a few seconds then it will go light again while welding?! idk what else to try , the lense is super clean. i didnt change anything

Last edited:
Ok so the torch my friend has is a water cooled wp20, and that thing is tiny!

Any tips for tig'ing 2.5" galvanized exhaust tubing? pie cuts.

And i purchased new batteries for my helmet thats only a week old, still flickers and flashes.

itll be fine for a few seconds then it will go light again while welding?! idk what else to try , the lense is super clean. i didnt change anything

Unless you have a death wish don't breath in the fumes from the galvanized pipe.
You can use muratic acid to get rid of the coating or soak it in vinegar.
Only issue with the vinegar is it creates hydrogen so don't have any fumes or smoke around it. Soak it for a few hours or overnight.
Not worth killing yourself over.

Get a better helmet?

Ya that didnt answer any if my questions. I was asking about your welds and welding setup..... Since this is a welding thread

Edit: so you didnt weld the old o2 down pipe? Just tje dump tube into the down pipe?

Last edited:
Time to start working on my own exhaust.
More stuff at work for the mean time.
I was using .032 filler and I'm confused why the beads on a corner joint come out weird looking instead of more of a dimes look. Possible becuase its a small filler wire? Any help on this?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Heres a horizontal lap joint i did today. 7018, synchrowave 200dx 120 amps, 3/8 plate tripple pass. Then cut it with a torch and lap it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to start working on my own exhaust.
More stuff at work for the mean time.
I was using .032 filler and I'm confused why the beads on a corner joint come out weird looking instead of more of a dimes look. Possible becuase its a small filler wire? Any help on this?

This is kind of a hard question to answer. I guess I don't readily see the problem. But if your outside corner is "smoothing out" it is more than likely caused by the built up heat that has been put into the metal. The outside corner is the area with the least amount if surrounding base metal, so your puddle can have a little bit to much heat and basically smoothes itself out, so that you don't see your ripples

I try to start my bead at the area of the piece you are welding, with the least amount of material ie. an outside corner. And work my way outwards. That way there is not any heat built up in your base metal that will "flow out" your weld bead.

It is also good practice as the HAZ would spread much farther as you work towards the "small" end.

I tried to explain that as best as possible. And I hope that kinda helped

And nice job Urban, stick welding was were I started and is still my bread and butter.

couple welds from school....
First is a .035 wire T weld 4 passes on 16 gauge metal
Second is a Face and root bend of a .045 wire Dual shield single bevel Vertical up with backing strip 5 passes.

left is root bend and right is face bend...

Neither one is perfect. but i'm learning

Last edited:
I hate stick welding but I'm working for a certification so i might as well try my best. Tig is mu bread and butter :)

stick welding takes the most finesse. I hate it but my welding teacher loves it LOL. Im doing a cert test in week and a half for a open groove vertical up with 6010 root pass and 7018 filler and cover. As well as a dual shield single bevel with backing strip vertical up. Both on 3/8 plate. not sure ill pass the stick one LOL..

Yeah the certs are pretty similar although i not doing over head or certical just flat and horizontal fillet welds. Stick and mig. After school i plan to do the AWS and CWB (canadian welding bearu) certs for TIG. I'll be dual national certified in tig how cool is that haha!

Ingot flashed today by a carbon arc gouger. ####ing baddddddd accidently made metal contact with helmet off, everything went white for a sec, then burned my eyes for hours after.
Still ####ing hurts. Nothing a dark room and a bowl won't cure.

miller diversion 180 , 95 amps, 3/32 2% lanth tungsten on a %8 cup. single pass. 1/32 filler.

tips? i really dont like the 1/32 filler. its too thin.:hmm:

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 20.42.32.jpg
    2013-03-28 20.42.32.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 68
miller diversion 180 , 95 amps, 3/32 2% lanth tungsten on a %8 cup. single pass. 1/32 filler.

tips? i really dont like the 1/32 filler. its too thin.:hmm:

Take 2 pieces of it and put it in a drill and wrap it together. That is thin.

Ingot flashed today by a carbon arc gouger. ####ing baddddddd accidently made metal contact with helmet off, everything went white for a sec, then burned my eyes for hours after.
Still ####ing hurts. Nothing a dark room and a bowl won't cure.

Is that arc flash? What's the best cure for it?
What's a carbon arc gouger?
You have the helmet down? I thought even with the helmet down it was still supposed to protect your eyes?

No i accidently made contact with the metal with no helmet on

Youtube air carbon arc gouging. Ita gnarley it is basically a weld remover.

Basically to help aleviate arc eye pain, if it's REALLY bad ice it and cover your eyes so everything is black, use moisturizing eyedrops and stay in dark rooms. I only got an arch flash with no helmet and i was looking right at it too! Basically the dry run before you actually start but i made contact. Flashed the teacher too :/ haha

I cant figure out why my helmet isnt working right, it keeps flickering. i thought the batteries were low since it stays indoors, but i replaced the batteries and still doing the same thing? only a week old - rhino welding helmet large view auto darkening

I tried the sensitivity lowest highest and in between, no difference. I contacted the seller and they are going to send me a new lenses and sensors. See if that fixes it.

Ya that didnt answer any if my questions. I was asking about your welds and welding setup..... Since this is a welding thread

Edit: so you didnt weld the old o2 down pipe? Just tje dump tube into the down pipe?

I fitted and welded it all, just at different times. Miller Syncrowave 180SD, 1/16 tungsten, 10cfh.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back