The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heres the tungsten. and my first scrap piece.

Urban, what lens size are you using? what does going up and down in size do other than creating a larger gas coverage zone?

Attachments

• 2013-03-10 19.24.39.jpg
    2013-03-10 19.24.39.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 76
  • 2013-03-10 19.25.02.jpg
    2013-03-10 19.25.02.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
I this grey is more of color used for over seas. I think use different color codes than use but still the same tungsten.

I'm using a number 8 cup on a gas lens for a 3/32 tungsten and for a #17 torch which is what the diversion came with. It was like 5 bucks.

It's pretty much all in the gas coverage
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2983626697_32aacc854f_m.jpg

Finally done.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Very nice work, I see you know what you're doing. Just an idea tor the future. I've taken those same ugly looking exhaust housings and cut all the extra casting off of them including where the o2 flange bolts up and welded 3" v-bands to them. It's a lot of work but it makes the housing look much nicer and the v-band makes it easier to work on. If you do decided to do that make sure you preheat the housing before you weld the v-band to it. You want to get it really hot to a point where its almost red, then use stainless v-band flange and stainless rod to weld it.

One other thing. Running your wastegates back in to the down pipe makes it nice and quiet for street driving but it puts a lot of wasted exhaust back in to the down pipe. For a car making 400 whp 3" exhaust might not be a restriction but if you're planning on making over 500 whp you might want to consider putting a cut out on your down pipe not to far after.the turbo. I've gained over 65 whp from using a 60mm ebay wastegate as a cut out, car made 580 at 8k rpms as to before it made 517 on 1-2 psi of boost more and power was falling off after 7200 rpms.

Again nice work on the manifold.

One other thing. Running your wastegates back in to the down pipe makes it nice and quiet for street driving but it puts a lot of wasted exhaust back in to the down pipe. For a car making 400 whp 3" exhaust might not be a restriction but if you're planning on making over 500 whp you might want to consider putting a cut out on your down pipe not to far after.the turbo. I've gained over 65 whp from using a 60mm ebay wastegate as a cut out, car made 580 at 8k rpms as to before it made 517 on 1-2 psi of boost more and power was falling off after 7200 rpms.

Again nice work on the manifold.

Got my cutout in the test pipe. I haven't decided if I'm going to bring it out the side or just turn towards ground.

don't buy the whole kit just the gas lense and cup for 1 size. it's soooo worth it though

The only benefit is being able to see through the cup though, i don't have any visibility issues currently with my gas lens and #8 ceramic cup. Maybe someday for the "looks cool" factor. Lol i just spent all my money on an stm manifold
So i could chop up my old dnp to use as a jig. Now I'm seeing 99% idc at 30 psi and needa save for injectors haha. Need to sell welding services to fund my boost addiction.

I was doin decent until the corner where the fitup was a little more than 3"

It pissed me off, i also cooked my merge collector trying to fill in the undercut, contaminated all my tungsten rods on the damn o2 housing of shit vband flange warped shortly after pic was taken LOL I'm just fed up today.

When you have a situation like that just clamp it to another v-band before you weld it, that should help keep it from warping.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only benefit is being able to see through the cup though, i don't have any visibility issues currently with my gas lens and #8 ceramic cup. Maybe someday for the "looks cool" factor. Lol i just spent all my money on an stm manifold
So i could chop up my old dnp to use as a jig. Now I'm seeing 99% idc at 30 psi and needa save for injectors haha. Need to sell welding services to fund my boost addiction.

No it's more than that. Just try it if you ever get the chance you will see.

Ahh i think i know what you mean. One of those welding phenomenon's that just makes things feel better. Haha ill give it a shot if i come across one for sure! If its like 5 dollar cup i can get that attaches directly to my gas lens ill more than likely take a shot at it. Its just that ordering from the usa means duty fees.

hey guys, so im still getting the random arc flash as im welding. which is causing my helmet to freak switch on and off and flash myself. im starting to think its my torch angle or tungsten, gas flow has no effect on it. i turned it up and down. i never had this problem when i was using red tip at school. im really not sure honestly.

another question for the guys at home. how are you ventilating your area? right now i just have the garage door open.

Check the battery on your helmet. It's common to have that on low DC amps. This is another reason to have a GOOD helmet.
I am in a 1 car garage with neighbors on both sides and room above. So I mainly stick as there isn't many fumes if any. Sometimes I open the garage door.

Ahh i think i know what you mean. One of those welding phenomenon's that just makes things feel better. Haha ill give it a shot if i come across one for sure! If its like 5 dollar cup i can get that attaches directly to my gas lens ill more than likely take a shot at it. Its just that ordering from the usa means duty fees.

Are there duty fees if you order it off eBay too?

Check the battery on your helmet. It's common to have that on low DC amps. This is another reason to have a GOOD helmet.
I am in a 1 car garage with neighbors on both sides and room above. So I mainly stick as there isn't many fumes if any. Sometimes I open the garage door.

at 120 amps? ill try a new battery. my helmet is a realgear which i know is no miller helmet but its no harbour freight ether.

could that be too much for the tungsten i have?

at 120 amps? ill try a new battery. my helmet is a realgear which i know is no miller helmet but its no harbour freight ether.

could that be too much for the tungsten i have?

Never heard of it.
This is a good helmet for the price
Striker Stealth WG Welding Helmet Welding Gun Accessories, Metal Working, Welder Supplies | USAWeld.com

I still like my miller digital a lot, but it's almost $200

1/16th tungsten is good for around 95 amps or less (in that general area) and 3/32 can go up to 180 ish or so. I don't really see a reason to go higher than 3/32 for hobby work. I've also done some of my best pop can welding with a 3/32 tungsten. It's a great 'one size fits all'

I'm going to start a thread on a fume extractor. Look for it..

Here are some from practicing for my certification. 1.5in steel plate, vertical flux core weld. I weld one of these everyday until i get them PERFECT. takes 20-25 passes to fill the gap. When im done with the weldment I take it straight to the saw and cut it in multiple places to check for inclusions. I'm getting there! my last few have been inclusion free.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70
Duty fees incur when its shipped across the boarder.

Yeah it sounds like may e your sensitivity isnt up enough or your battery is dead. I use the miller elite and i love it. 300dollar helmet though. I dont habe to really worry about battery since it has solar power as well as battery backup. So basically every time i turn the tig torch on i get the battery charged. Has 4or 5 sensors i think. I don't have it in front of me but i love it. Better then the digital pro hobby i was issued at school. I love it cause of the large view window.

Theres some things i havent figured out about the trade agreement though as far as duty fees.

Duty fees incur when its shipped across the boarder.

Yeah it sounds like may e your sensitivity isnt up enough or your battery is dead. I use the miller elite and i love it. 300dollar helmet though. I dont habe to really worry about battery since it has solar power as well as battery backup. So basically every time i turn the tig torch on i get the battery charged. Has 4or 5 sensors i think. I don't have it in front of me but i love it. Better then the digital pro hobby i was issued at school. I love it cause of the large view window.

I could be wrong, but I thought that they were battery powered and solar back up?

Fume extractor thread
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/459582-welding-fume-extractors.html

Here's my dust/ welding/ composite fume vent setup. It's a dust collection setup from a woodworking supplier caller Rockler that I mounted and ducted in my garage. Don't laugh I got a lot of shit! LOL

It moves a lot of air. In that last shot I have the tube pointed directly out the garage door when it open. That fan was $99 and about $100 in tube, pipe and gates

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back