The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Your gains going from SAFC to DSMlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just want to double check, the dsm link has a chip that goes into your ecu? like the ones that keydiver makes? i have a stage 2 chip and was thinking of getting a dsm link but dont know if i need to get rid of the chip that was already socketed into my ecu. also the previous post stated dsm link is good for 2g's, is it worth it for a 1g? or would it be better to just keep stage 2 chip in there and get like a a/f gauge and egt gauge? I already have a knock sum gauge.

:talon: Dom

spidy3 said:
I just want to double check, the dsm link has a chip that goes into your ecu? like the ones that keydiver makes? i have a stage 2 chip and was thinking of getting a dsm link but dont know if i need to get rid of the chip that was already socketed into my ecu. also the previous post stated dsm link is good for 2g's, is it worth it for a 1g? or would it be better to just keep stage 2 chip in there and get like a a/f gauge and egt gauge? I already have a knock sum gauge.

It is worth it for a 1G as well. It's pretty much the same software I've been told. I've only seen the 1G version, but sources say they are very similar.

You will have to ask Thomas about the use of both the chip and the link, but the last I heard the link was going to allow for a "modded" chip as well. Sell the chip for $50.00 and use that $50 towards your link :thumb: Shipping out a few days after ordering, so no wait!

In regards to the rest of this thread, you all should be ashamed of yourselves trying to compare one electronic device to another... They are just that, tuning AIDS. The "gains" is all dependent upon the person doing the tuning. DSMlink obviously has more attractive features, so unless you are a complete fool, you should have no problem having seeing "gains."

Oh yea, and I swear it should be written in the rules to not post about "gains" regarding upgraded parts... I get a headach reading it, and I'm sure many others do as well.

Regards!
~Mark

markgholland said:
Oh yea, and I swear it should be written in the rules to not post about "gains" regarding upgraded parts... I get a headach reading it, and I'm sure many others do as well.

Regards!
~Mark

I agree but then i would say his question if very valid. Who wants to spend the money on the link if they cant really gain any power from better tuning and timing control? its not like he asked how much power a 50trim would give him.

Im interested in one b/c id like to get into the 11's full weight in a 2g on my small 16g. But that means finding like 30+whp and i dont think the link can do that even with the best tune i could get. So a gain from a tune with a afc to dsm link is valid for some people.

NewB2dsm said:
I agree but then i would say his question if very valid. Who wants to spend the money on the link if they cant really gain any power from better tuning and timing control? its not like he asked how much power a 50trim would give him.

Im interested in one b/c id like to get into the 11's full weight in a 2g on my small 16g. But that means finding like 30+whp and i dont think the link can do that even with the best tune i could get. So a gain from a tune with a afc to dsm link is valid for some people.

I bet you could get into the 11's by switching just the fuel management. What are you using to advance timing? No WB 02? If you got down to a 12.3 with as little mods you have, according to your profile, you should have no problem going down another .3 IMO.

markgholland said:
I bet you could get into the 11's by switching just the fuel management. What are you using to advance timing? No WB 02? If you got down to a 12.3 with as little mods you have, according to your profile, you should have no problem going down another .3 IMO.

I would have to agree. I have seen so many car put the DSMLink in and easliy take off .3 from there times. Some of it could be the fact that you can set your launch rev limit and no lift to shift, but the tuning process is so much easier as well. With fuel to timing (you can't do timing with a afc).

markgholland said:
You will have to ask Thomas about the use of both the chip and the link, but the last I heard the link was going to allow for a "modded" chip as well. Sell the chip for $50.00 and use that $50 towards your link :thumb: Shipping out a few days after ordering, so no wait!

does that mean the dsmlink uses a chip that would go in place of my stage 2 chip from dsmchips?
also i know there is software that is used for the dsmlink, where do the cables connect to? the diag connector near clutch pedal? or is it hooked directly into the ecu connectors? I've tried to look up info on it but there isnt much around besides tips on tuning with it. If u use a palm pilot, do you change the tuning on that then hook the connector up and send the info to the ecu?

(if someone could even PM me and give me some basic info on it like some questions i've asked and the process, ie.. "i change the info with the program on my laptop, hook a connector from laptop to ecu, download into the ecu and disconnect laptop" to give me a better understanding, it would be very appreciated)

Thanks

Eclipse Rogue said:
I would have to agree. I have seen so many car put the DSMLink in and easliy take off .3 from there times. Some of it could be the fact that you can set your launch rev limit and no lift to shift, but the tuning process is so much easier as well. With fuel to timing (you can't do timing with a afc).

The faster you go, obviously the harder it is to go faster, however, for what he did on an AFC, I'm sure he could get into the 11's with that small 16G and the link. You do however make a good point regarding other DSMLink features that are not possible with the AFC. Such features include antilag, NLTS, raise your rev limit (if you are not hurting on the top end), etc. Not to mention I'm sure you are getting unbelievable timing advance withthe larger injectors being compensated by the AFC.

I just got the 1G link and I am REALLY impressed so far. Worth the money if you ask me.

Regards!
~Mark

markgholland said:

no timing advance, still using the stock 96 cas. Wideband was done on the dyno, race gas its at 12.5:1 and pump is 11.5:1

I think the main reason is that the turbo wont hold more than 18psi at redline. Im thinking if i get a cas and advance the timing a few degrees on race gas it might go a bit faster.

spidy3 said:
does that mean the dsmlink uses a chip that would go in place of my stage 2 chip from dsmchips?
also i know there is software that is used for the dsmlink, where do the cables connect to? the diag connector near clutch pedal? or is it hooked directly into the ecu connectors? I've tried to look up info on it but there isnt much around besides tips on tuning with it. If u use a palm pilot, do you change the tuning on that then hook the connector up and send the info to the ecu?

(if someone could even PM me and give me some basic info on it like some questions i've asked and the process, ie.. "i change the info with the program on my laptop, hook a connector from laptop to ecu, download into the ecu and disconnect laptop" to give me a better understanding, it would be very appreciated)

Thanks

www.dsmlink.com

Look under the downloads section for "install" instructions. There is two steps; installing the chip which took me a total of about 4 minutes, and installing the software which took me even less.

Regards!
~Mark

NewB2dsm said:
I think the main reason is that the turbo wont hold more than 18psi at redline. Im thinking if i get a cas and advance the timing a few degrees on race gas it might go a bit faster.

You could deffinitly advance your base timing a degree or two and get some more power, but it is something that I would never do for my own personal reasons.

~Mark

I certainly can't wait to see what my gains I'll see on my DSMlinked car. So far, best time on E-manage tuning on pump gas was 12.24 @112mph... with the DSMlink, found out that I was maxing out my injectors by 5600rpm, so that's why I wasn't going any faster...so just picked up a bigger set of injectors...and just started to get it dialed in...but I can say that my low end was definitely faster when I tuned it on my old set of injectors...

Does the DSM Link ECU cancel out the AFC II? I have the DSM Link ECU installed and the AFC II is going nuts! I can't get it to run right at all. The ECU keeps trying to compensate at idle too somehow. It will rev on its on to 1800 then fall back to 1500. Its a mess.

Still waiting on my cable thats the reason for running the AFC II.

chowda633 said:
Still waiting on my cable thats the reason for running the AFC II.

When you purchase DSMLink, you get the cable... where did you get the chip without the cable and who is selling you a cable by itself?

That reving is called idle surge. It could be a number of things, but do a boost leak test first.

~Mark

Hey Mark / Tranman (good to see your all still around)

Having used both myself it is like night and day. Most everything has been covered so far but I want to stress the importance of having the ability to tune timing. It should appear obvious but you have two primary factors, Fuel and Timing. While it's not a hard number you can estimate that for every degree of timing you should pick up 10 hp. I've always taken the approach to dialing in your fuel curve first. At this point a wide band would be useful. Get you fuel dialed in then start to add timing to the point you begin to see knock. Your appetite for knock is up to you but basically you add timing until no more gains are realized.

Given that DSM Link can get you 90% to 95% of what the stand alone can do I'd say it's the best dollar for performance value on the market. BTW, I'm hopefully purchasing Blantons 92' Talon tomorrow. First mod...sell AFC replace with DSMLink.

Victory said:
Hey Mark / Tranman (good to see your all still around)

Having used both myself it is like night and day. Most everything has been covered so far but I want to stress the importance of having the ability to tune timing. It should appear obvious but you have two primary factors, Fuel and Timing. While it's not a hard number you can estimate that for every degree of timing you should pick up 10 hp. I've always taken the approach to dialing in your fuel curve first. At this point a wide band would be useful. Get you fuel dialed in then start to add timing to the point you begin to see knock. Your appetite for knock is up to you but basically you add timing until no more gains are realized.

Given that DSM Link can get you 90% to 95% of what the stand alone can do I'd say it's the best dollar for performance value on the market. BTW, I'm hopefully purchasing Blantons 92' Talon tomorrow. First mod...sell AFC replace with DSMLink.

Hey man do you know a guy named Nick that lives in AKRON? He drives a 2000 civic SI, it's black. I figured maybe you might now him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back