The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Young gun 98 GSX 500-600awhp street monster!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstCarIsA GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2010
Riverside, California
Okay guys I've been here on tuners for a few years now just sitting back and absorbing the knowledge of some of our more experienced members, but now I feel it's time I contribute a little. Although this is just a simple build thread it will be my first larger contribution to tuners so forgive me if I mess a few things up. So, as the title describes I'm a young gun who just turned 19 back in May. Although I am young I've been around cars all my life (mainly American muscle) and have a decent amount of experience. Also, like my username describes this GSX was my first car when I was 16 and have been working on it ever since so I have about 3 years of experience in the DSM world. When i first got her i went with the typical evo 3 16g build and put down 350awhp and around 380ft lbs of torque but now i want more! My goal for this car is too have a street monster with 500-600awhp to have fun with and also prove to myself and all of the doubters that a young guy can build and finance a high horsepower setup. I've been saving and slowly piecing together parts for this build for over a year and at thus point have most of what I need. One last note the built will be a stroker to give it better streetability (low end torque/spool)

PARTS ACQUIRED LIST UPDATED

Engine:
-6 bolt bare block
-eagle forged 100mm crankshaft
-eagle h beam rods
-wiseco stroker pistons 8.9 (.02)
-ACL main and rod bearings
-H11 head studs
-ARP main studs
-Kiggly main girdle
-OEM MLS head gasket
-Fluidampr crank pulley

Exhaust:
-ERL t3 manifold
-tial 38mm wastegate
-full 3inch exhaust

Intake/Turbo:
-Hx40 w/batmowheel and .70ar t3 Hotside
-tial q BOV
-JMF race SMIM
-water meth injection
-1g NT throttle body
-VSRF FMIC kit

Fuel/engine management:
-FIC 2150's
-aeromotive AFPR
-Dsm link v3 full
-aem wideband
-Wally 450
-Speed density setup

Drivetrain:
-jack's built trans (HD gear set etc.)+ (EVO III 1st and 5th gear)+(Welded diff)
-ACT MaXX Xtreme Clutch Kit with Street Disk

PARTS NEEDED
-Custom V-band o2 housing (might try fabbing one myself)
-Oil feed line w/restrictor
-Oil Pressure gauge
-4" Intake pipe w/filter (thinking just go with fp's)

P.s. pics and more details to come very soon!!!!!

Last edited:
Okay guys I've been here on tuners for a few years now just sitting back and absorbing the knowledge of some of our more experienced members, but now I feel it's time I contribute a little. Although this is just a simple build thread it will be my first larger contribution to tuners so forgive me if I mess a few things up. So, as the title describes I'm a young gun who just turned 19 back in May. Although I am young I've been around cars all my life (mainly American muscle) and have a decent amount of experience. Also, like my username describes this GSX was my first car when I was 16 and have been working on it ever since so I have about 3 years of experience in the DSM world. My goal for this car is too have a street monster with 500-600awhp to have fun with and also prove to myself and all of the doubters that a young guy can build and finance a high horsepower setup. I've been saving and slowly piecing together parts for this build for over a year and at thus point have most of what I need. One last note the built will be a stroker to give it better streetability (low end torque/spool)

PARTS ACQUIRED LIST

Engine:
-6 bolt bare block
-eagle forged 100mm crankshaft
-eagle h beam rods
-wiseco stroker pistons 8.9 (.02)
-ACL main and rod bearings
-H11 head studs
-ARP main studs
-Kiggly main girdle
-OEM MLS head gasket
-Fluidampr crank pulley

Exhaust:
-ERL t3 manifold
-tial 38mm wastegate
-full 3inch exhaust

Intake/Turbo:
-Hx40 w/batmowheel and .70ar t3 Hotside
-tial q BOV
-JMF race SMIM
-water meth injection

Fuel/engine management:
-FIC 2150's
-aeromotive AFPR
-Dsm link v3 full
-aem wideband

Drivetrain:
-jack's built trans (HD gear set etc.)

P.s. pics and more details to come very soon!!!!!

It seem to me your setup is well though out. I must say everything you've list seems to be well chosen:thumb: Just my .02 you might want to reconsider the race intake manifold for the jmf street version. ;)

It seem to me your setup is well though out. I must say everything you've list seems to be well chosen:thumb: Just my .02 you might want to reconsider the race intake manifold for the jmf street version. ;)

I was debating for a long time between the two, after talking to a few stroker guys who have run both they steered me towards the race manifold instead because it will need to allow for more air flow.

Good call on the vrsf kit. If you haven't gotten the aem wb yet I would look into the Innovate MTX-L. Looks like it's going to be a fun build. Good luck with her!

Good call on the vrsf kit. If you haven't gotten the aem wb yet I would look into the Innovate MTX-L. Looks like it's going to be a fun build. Good luck with her!

Yah im a fan of the vsrf kit, my car is all black and im going to get the fmic anodized black to keep my lowkey sleeper look! I already have the Aem wideband, i've had it for years and its done the job so unless i have a problem with it i wont be switching anytime soon!

I dont know too much about the vsrf fmic kit but i believe they only rate that intercooler at like 450whp if your going for 550+whp i would get a ets or buscher core ect something that will not only keep the car cool for one pass down the track but keep it cool for a while. Making big power a good fmic is huge as it plays a big role in IATs and helps with knock ect...

Nice build man you'll be fine with the vrsf I was told some people are around 700whp with that fmic from one the vrsf guys. What cams you gonna be using? I decided to go with gsc s2 with the stroker build im gonna be doing.

I dont know too much about the vsrf fmic kit but i believe they only rate that intercooler at like 450whp if your going for 550+whp i would get a ets or buscher core ect something that will not only keep the car cool for one pass down the track but keep it cool for a while. Making big power a good fmic is huge as it plays a big role in IATs and helps with knock ect...

I will be running water injection as well, which will keep intake temps low without the need to spend a ton of extra money on a new FMIC.

Nice build man you'll be fine with the vrsf I was told some people are around 700whp with that fmic from one the vrsf guys. What cams you gonna be using? I decided to go with gsc s2 with the stroker build im gonna be doing.

I dont have the cash to currently build the head but i was thinking of going with the s2's or kelford 272's or this other slightly secret cam design i've beeen looking into :thumb:

nice man can't wait to see the pics! On the flywheel note id go with the act one.

Well with 500 to 600 hp goal a single pump can do the job. :thumb: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/ven...y-racing-pro-series-pt341-drop-fuel-pump.html

This is the pump I am running I put down 573whp on E85 and the pump didn't even think about giving out:D

Awesome results Man!! I've heard great things about the Wally 450 though so for the Time being that's what I will go with, I've been Following the thread about jays pump and the results are awesome but I am a fan of Wally's so plan to stick with them. Also kel what gasket did you have an issue with the ERL because I remember reading your thread about it?

nice man can't wait to see the pics! On the flywheel note id go with the act one.

Thanks man I appreciate it! The old block and trans are already out of the car and ill post pics soon! As far as the flywheel I've been thinking the same thing about going with the ACT but ill talk to the guys at RRE before I make my final decision

Felpro been good ever since
Awesome results Man!! I've heard great things about the Wally 450 though so for the Time being that's what I will go with, I've been Following the thread about jays pump and the results are awesome but I am a fan of Wally's so plan to stick with them. Also kel what gasket did you have an issue with the ERL because I remember reading your thread about it?

Thanks man I appreciate it! The old block and trans are already out of the car and ill post pics soon! As far as the flywheel I've been thinking the same thing about going with the ACT but ill talk to the guys at RRE before I make my final decision

The copper gasket it just wouldn't seal

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376569890584.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376569890584.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 162
+1 ON updates cant wait to see the finished product even though they are never really finished!!

Sorry guys its been quite hectic with the start of my sophomore year in college! I'm a mechanical engineering major so its been a seriously time consuming quarter so far, but i finally have a little time to post some updates.

Update #1:
The Engine and Transmission were pulled (Took the time to carefully go through and label each connector on the wiring harness before disconnecting them, I even wrote up a list and drew a diagram to make sure i know where everything is located.) I sent the transmission out to Jack's (Best customer service I've ever had from any company anywhere) and had them throw in the HD gear set along with the EVO III 1st and 5th gear. It cost me a pretty penny but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to go all out the first time and have peace of mind down the road.

Update #2:
I decided to completely get rid of the old engine (besides the head), so i acquired a bare 6 bolt block and finally saved up the cash to get it machined at Millennium Motorsports (Located in Temecula, CA). I got the cylinders bored over .02 and had the the mains checked while bolted down to the kiggly main girdle and they did not need to be bored at all thank goodness. I also got the head and block both resurfaced so that my Mitsu MLS head gasket will sit properly without any worries. All the machine work came back extremely clean and am very happy with the results.

Update #3:
I finally decided to go with the ACT MaXX Xtreme clutch kit w/street disk for my setup. After a ton of research and asking opinions both here on the forums and from some industry experts. I decided to go this direction because i don't have the funds for a full twin disk, as well as the fact that it is doubtful a twin disk will last as long as i'd like after awhile of daily driving it (also the chatter bugs me and scares off girls ROFL ) I went this way also because it was the highest level pressure plate/clutch disk setup that incorporated a more DD friendly street disk. I've had good experience with ACT in the past so I made the decision to stay with them for this build.

Update #4
My schedule has been way to packed to be able to work on the car, and i rarely go back home on the weekends as it is (I go to school about an hour and a half away from home so i live in an apartment in LA). I've decided to hold off finishing the build until I can finish it correctly without any rush, which will push it back until winter break which starts in December. Meanwhile i plan on taking the rotating assembly back to Millennium to get it all balanced before I begin to put it all together. Also this time allows me to save up a little bit more money to acquire the parts i still need.

P.S.
Once again I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to post any sort of updates. I have pictures of the whole process and will post them as soon as i can get some more time. Also, thanks to those who have checked out my build and for all the words of encouragment :hellyeah:

Update: Just placed my order for the VSRF FMIC kit! Heard very good things about this kit and did not see the point in spending $700+ on an ETS kit when i'll be running water injection as it is. Thinking about getting the intercooler anodized black to help keep my sleeper look going! Thoughts on this? Also anyone know of a place to get things anodized in SoCal?

I dont know if it exactly what you're looking for, but you could use some sort of black mesh in front of it for both sleeper looks and to protect that investment from rocks and shit.

I dont know if it exactly what you're looking for, but you could use some sort of black mesh in front of it for both sleeper looks and to protect that investment from rocks and shit.

I've actually thought about doing that but a buddy of mine did it on his 350z and it looks kinda chinsy. I think im either going to paint it with black radiator paint or paying a bit more to get it anodized black. My current intercooler is painted black and i like how it looks and that because i live in CA with strict smog laws i get noticed a lot less. I might just try it without any paint and see how i like it, then go to black. Ohh the decisions!

Finally home for a few days for thanksgiving so i decided to do a quick mock up of the Hx40 with the ERL t3 manifold and tial 38mm external wastegate with open dump tube. Thought for perspective's sake I'd throw in my old evo 3 16g right next to it to see how much of a different in size there truly is! More pictures to come this weekend! Happy Thanksgiving everybody! :hellyeah:

IMG_1231_zps60d3a8e2.jpg

IMG_1234_zps4fedf74e.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back