The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

You will all be jelous of this- working hatch struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjgYFZ200

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2004
Albany, New_York
guess what i have.....

working hatch struts :p
it was easy to do, check out my tech article i wrote up

Attachments

• working.jpg
    working.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 659
Haha, nice... I need to order some new ones for mine.

Its one of those simple things that you wish everybody would notice because everybody elses is broken.

I recently did mine and it was a royal pain. I would reccomend unbolting the interior plastic most of the way. (I didn't and it was very frustrating.)

:dsm:

Mine only malfuntion when its cold out, and well being in florida, i dont have to worry about that :laugh:

I dont know one person who owns a DSM with a working hatch.

Seriously.

I've been meaning to change those for 2 years now.

:hint hint: read the tech article if you need help, and it doesnt take long at all

that was one of the first things i did to my car, i couldn't stand that, now all i need to do is figure out how to change the lock so i can open it with the same key for my doors.

Mine didn't work, but then I removed that plastic cover that rises up with the hatch, then I took out the rear wiper motor and wiper, and presto! Less weight! :laugh:

Working hatchstruts were the first thing i bought when i got my GST.

Man, I can't stand having the hatch slam on my head time to time. It seems like it holds up and once I stick my head inside the trunk... SLAM!! falls right on my head.

In my old 2g, one was bent :confused: Fixed that, got some working ones at a junkyard. In my laser winter beater I use a nice piece of wood to keep it open! :cool: My 90 talon tsi awd has working hatch struts so they must have been replaced by a previous owner!

sjgYFZ200 said:
:hint hint: read the tech article if you need help, and it doesnt take long at all

O I know how to do it, I'm just lazy.

LOL 2 1/2 years i wanted to change them.
they dont work on my dsm's but they do on my 240's, and they're origional

and what are you talking about? the only time mine actually start working is in winter, but of course its going down to zero every night :mad:

If anyone is thinking of replacing both struts...don't! Take both off and find out which is the weaker of the two by compressing them with your hands, then just buy one for the weaker side, that's all I did and my hatch pops right up now.

$15 a piece at advance auto parts in 99 and mine still work.

Mine are unpredictable. It'll be cold out when it'll almost always just close itself, but sometimes I'll get it to stay up on it's own and then I reach inside to get something and it just decides to fall on my head. But like everyone else, when there's no kind of moisture affecting it, then it'll work just fine.

Mine are unpredictable. It'll be cold out when it'll almost always just close itself, but sometimes I'll get it to stay up on it's own and then I reach inside to get something and it just decides to fall on my head. But like everyone else, when there's no kind of moisture affecting it, then it'll work just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back