The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

yet another oil leak thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi_daggie

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Sibley, Iowa
i have got a huge oil leak. quart and a half a day leak. didnt start until i swapped out my cams and put a new clutch in.

everything on the drivers-side is completely covered in oil. took the timing cover off and there is oil every where. thought it was the valve cover before so i used rtv sealant and went all the way around the valve cover. still leaks.

so now with the cover off i started it up and tried to find it and i cant c anything.

ideas on what could be leaking that i could check.

thanks

to shed alittle more light on the subject:

my dip stick is pinched so it doesnt pop out.

and my oil filter is nice and snug

97turbodsm said:
Camshaft Seals maybe??

it looks dry and clean around the bottoms of the cams, if it is leaking bad, shouldnt it be dirty around the cams if it was leaking there?

also i still have the balance shafts in. so i am guna go check the front shaft for play.

update: shafts are nice and tight. maybe since i have it this far i should eliminate them though.

tsi_daggie said:
it looks dry and clean around the bottoms of the cams, if it is leaking bad, shouldnt it be dirty around the cams if it was leaking there?

also i still have the balance shafts in. so i am guna go check the front shaft for play.

update: shafts are nice and tight. maybe since i have it this far i should eliminate them though.

If it's not from the cams then about the only other choices would be the front crank seal or the balance shaft seals. I can't remember where the banjo pipe feed is.

Cheers,
GTM

i went and bought 2 new cam seals. going to install them and c what i find. will post when done.

hope the new seals do the trick.

update: the old seals literally fell apart in my hand when i took them out. and they were harder than Ron Jeremy 5 min. before filming.

havnt got it all back together yet but i am 95% sure the seals were the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back