The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Black Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knucks3man

Probationary Member
Jul 1, 2004
pemberton, New_Jersey
How common or normal is it for a talon (2g) to smoke black?

stock turbo, str8 pipe exhaust all the way back. No cats, nor mufflers.

boosted92laser said:
I have the same problem, only mine isn't actually black, more bluish white. And mine only happens if i build the boost past 5 psi before i shift. I am pretty sure mine is the seals in the turbo, or atleast that is what I have been told by quite a few people.
Blueish white = burning oil = turbo or valve seals...........or both. It can also be a temprorary problem (if caught and fixed on time) caused by either excessive crankcase pressure, kinked turbo oil return line or excessive oil pressure/volume feed to the turbo.

My 91 Eclipse 2.0 non turbo smokes like a diesel when revved. Wondering if it is maybe running too rich. I do not have a catalytic converter, so I'm wondering if that is messing with my O2 sensor. Any suggestions, I'm new to the DSM's and not sure where to start. Thanks!

Black smoke is almost definitely a sign that you are running rich...your a/f maybe fat due to a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. Check your engine oil to make sure that excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do this simply using your oil dip stick, or look at the botom of the engine oil filler cap...if it has the appearance of a chocolate milkshake, then you know it has been contaminated. Best of luck.

Black smoke is almost definitely a sign that you are running rich...your a/f maybe fat due to a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. Check your engine oil to make sure that excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do this simply using your oil dip stick, or look at the botom of the engine oil filler cap...if it has the appearance of a chocolate milkshake, then you know it has been contaminated. Best of luck.

Not to go off topic, but I don't remember DSM's being carbureted.. :thumb:

And as long as the FPR is good a faulty fuel pump should not cause you to go rich.

Also, having no cat should'nt bother anything, that rear o2 sensor does'nt do enough to make you run that rich.

I have a 1991 Galant VR-4 and have read through the search results of the "black smoke" search results list and have not had the problem fully diagnosed.

I have been getting black smoke coming out of my exhaust for awhile now. It started small and has become a larger problem. My buddy and I went outside during a break at work to look at my AFPR pressure guage (making sure it is not moving since I installed it last week) and started up my car. I was parked backwards and when i went toward the back, I noticed a huge black streak on the ground. This was at IDLE.

[[The black smoke became horrid after the AFPR install.]]

I asked him to give it some throttle, and he went to 3K rpm. It shot out a 3ft puff of black soot. He put his hand by the exhaust tip and within seconds his hand was spotted with wet black spots. It didn't have a distinctive oil or gas smell to it.

In addition - when I am at WOT, it will shoot out black smoke, but that is because I am rich. I am saving up for a WB at the moment and will be installing that next paycheck or so.

My questions are: - Is oil getting into my combustion chamber and if so, how? - How would I go about fixing that? - Should I get ARP studs now too? (money is tight, but buying a $50 gasket TWICE is too).

I have an oil catch can and my intake mainfold breather is hooked up to it. The intake breather is just aimed at the ground

My car is EATING oil. the car was DRY one day, and I put in 1 and 1/2 quarts and within a week its low again. My gas milage is ~17.

He is thinking its rich as hell and my seals are bad and oil is getting in the combustion chamber..

Any help would be appreciated!

Jason

Well first of all check and see if you have any shaft play, that should be the first thing you should check. If that's not it than it very well could be running way rich. pull your plugs and check if oil is getting inside the cylinders. That could lead to many different things. Try removing the AFPR and put stock back on and see what that does for you. Sorry I don't know much about the galant, but I hope this helps.

I have the same problem. I read on here somewhere that it might be cause it is running rich. I was told not to be concerned if it was running ok, which it is (I guess). I was also informed that if you have a test pipe, or a gutted cat like me, it will spit that stuff out cause the cat isnt filtering it.

Just what I've read,
Anthony

I pulled the plugs and they are black around the rims and white on the tips...

I will check for shaft play the next time I go out. Should I concern myself with putting in fuel/oil additives that work on cleaning up the engine? Also - I will try turning down my fuel pressure instead of taking off my AFPR. Would that be sufficient? The stock FPR was being overloaded with the 255 high pressure DSS FP.

Is the exhaust really stinky? If you're runnin rich, your plugs would be black. Is there a difference between plugs? Mainly the one all the way right and all the way left. If the tip is white, I don't think I'd want to turn down fuel press.

Excess oil would typically burn blue, so I don't think that is your problem. Black smoke IS typically the result of excess fuel. If this only began to happen after the installation of your AFPR, then I would be willing to assume that your fuel pressure is too high and spraying too much fuel into the combustion chambers. However, IF you disconnect your AFPR, and the car is still pushing out black smoke, then you know you gotta start looking into other things...but I am fairly certain (from what you wrote) that you were not experiencing this problem prior to the installation of your AFPR.

All the plugs are the same - black rims with white tips. The electrode is also black with a white tip. Really weird. :( Haven't checked for shaft play yet.

I just had my engine rebuilt and took my Eclipse to Porters Performance in MI. It was not running correctly, puffing black smoke. They are telling me that my computer is possibly bad because they can't get the car running correctly either. They said they took off my safc and put stock injectors on it. What could the problem be?

How is it not running correctly? If you could provide a description of its' behaviour, please. And the black smoke, you say it comes out in puffs? Does it smooth out as the revs increase? (the puffs become closer together?)

What does your wideband show? You ought to complete your vehicle profile. We have no idea what your setup it.

First, off-the-top-of-head suggestion would be to do a compression/leak down test. A badly burned valve (especially on the exhaust side) could cause puffs of black smoke.

edit: Ohh, and I hear good AND bad things about Porter's Performance.

yeah vehicle profile needs to be updated.....Were you running an FMU or SFMU, or 1:1 regulator ect...? When they un did your SAFC did they put everything back where its supposed to be and un exposed?...do you have premium gas in there? What size injectors were on the car....and what was all done on the rebuild of the car?

Car has black smoke all the time. It runs alright though, with a rough idle. Clears up a lot with higher RPM. Injectors are what came with the kit, not sure what. Porters put stock injectors in and there was no change. The car right now is back to stock, all aftermarket is unhooked and still not running right. On the rebuild, the block was the only thing done.

Burning oil creates blue smoke, not black. Black smoke means you are running too rich. What is your complete and current fuel setup?

Heh, your profile is still very vague. :) Any turbo on your car is going to be aftermarket. You mention 'chill factory', I assume you are talking about the Chill Factory RR-FPR?

Eastwood95 said:
Black smoke and rough idle? That's a boost leak guy.

FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS A BOOST LEAK TEST.

Boost leaks don't cause problems on 420a motors,like they do on 4g63's. They meter the air differently.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back