The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

YERFDOG'S 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPDATE 7/5/2016
I picked the car up a couple weeks ago from the shop after they replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, balance belt, and everything else in the timing cover. It also needed a new drivers side top motor mount which actually fixed the vibration I was getting while idling so I was happy with that! I still have to replace the rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluids but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I ordered some goodies from ExtremePSI :cool:. I went with the Injen intake due to being in California and it's CARB approved. Still waiting on another package to come in the mail :D. I also bought a 2G weighted shift knob (BRAND NEW) from a member on here. It looks and feels awesome!

IMG_7016.jpg
IMG_7073.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg
IMG_7072.jpg
UPDATE 7/6/2016
I just wanted to update this post and say I received my other package from ExtremePSI. Thermal R&D Exhaust is going on soon!! :D

IMG_7079.jpg
IMG_7083.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 7/7/2016
THE CATBACK EXHAUST IS ON! :hellyeah:Sounds very nice! (Thermal R&D)

IMG_7084.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg
IMG_7087.jpg
IMG_7088.jpg
IMG_7091.jpg
IMG_7090.jpg
IMG_7089.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 7/11/2016
I installed a NGR Type-S BOV to replace the leaky OEM one. It sounds pretty awesome and looks great too. It's amazing how much more you can hear the turbo spool with the intake and exhaust set-up now. :D

IMG_7099.jpg
IMG_7108.jpg
IMG_7106.jpg

UPDATE 7/22/2016
Just did a couple small things to the car. First off, I got an OEM 3rd brake light assembly and the trim cover for it. The previous owner must have deleted it cause the wiring was nicely tucked away and I do remember reading on here that people weren't too fond of it and it obstructs the rear view vision. I don't mind it and I wanted to have that OEM look. I also had the infamous "have to pull the hatch release handle once, go lift it up, *doesn't lift* then pull the handle a second time then it works". So I found the write-up online to drill a new hole, and bend the spring tab a little bit. It now works perfect (see picture below). And last but not least, I wasn't a fan of the blue spark plug wires that attracted too much attention in the engine bay, so I decided to put black wire loom over them. Came out pretty good :cool:. I am planning on a black/polished engine bay theme. ALSO!!! Posted a new Youtube video of the car. Just a walk-around style video. :dsm: Thanks for the kind words everybody!!

IMG_7160.jpg
IMG_7159.jpg
IMG_7161.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg
IMG_7112.jpg

UPDATE 8/17/2016
I have always been a fan of LED gauge lights and after reading the write-up on here I decided to order bulbs (red) from Superbrightleds. So I installed all the bulbs in the cluster and immediately noticed "hot spots", and with my OCD I couldn't handle it so I put all the OEM bulbs back in. With my luck, some of the stock bulbs decided to not work anymore!! I also had the foglight switch, side mirrors, cruise, defroster, hazards, and rear wiper switch already replaced with the red LED's so I had to put the stock bulbs back in because I didn't want everything not matching. Well some of those bulbs decided to not work, and they are pretty hard to find so to the junkyard I went! I got a whole bunch of bulbs and even came across a very clean set of smoked side-marker lights. Best part was they didn't charge me for the side-markers which was great because I wasn't really sure it I wanted them to begin with. Most recently, I installed LED headlights and foglights! Very bright and not blinding which is what I was worried about since they aren't in projector housings.

IMG_7185.jpg
IMG_7166.jpg
IMG_7198.jpg
IMG_7264.jpg
IMG_7279.jpg
IMG_7286.jpg

UPDATE 2/26/2017
It's been awhile since I updated this, so I will mention everything I've done to the car since the last update. First off, the Eclipse gets to be in the garage so I wanted to get a light cover for it to keep the dust off. Found a cheap $25 cover at Costco and it fits like a glove! I then had a paint-less dent repair guy come to the house and pop out about 12 dents all around the car for pretty cheap and he did an awesome job. It makes the car look even better. I ordered and installed a new engine bay tag from forum member: "jdxnc" to replace the faded sticker one. I previously had WHITE LED's for the interior lighting but decided to get BLUE ones form V-LEDs and they are very bright. I also did the gauge cluster and all switches with blue LED's (they look a little purple in the pictures for some reason). I had to do the "gauge sanding" to get the blue light to shine through but it ended coming out pretty awesome. Very happy with the results. Since I bought the car, it had a small power steering fluid leak right at a hose connection on the reservoir, so I decided to get the STM polished one. The next two "mods" I did were recommended by a forum member on here. The "foglight" mod and "hood strut" mod. I've always liked the option of having foglights on with just the parking/running lights so an inline fuse jumper wire can easily fix that. I then read up on here about having hood struts and followed through with that! Looks OEM! That's about it for the last 6 months or so, but I have a couple other things in mind coming hopefully soon! I just spent a lot of time/money on my Jeep (lift kit, tires, wheels ect..) So I have to take a break for a little bit haha!! Lots of pictures of the updates mentioned and also some random ones:

IMG_7343.jpg
IMG_7352.jpg
IMG_7346.jpg
IMG_7405.jpg
IMG_7583.jpg
IMG_7584.jpg
IMG_7490.jpg
IMG_7539.jpg
IMG_7894.jpg
IMG_7541.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg
IMG_7770.jpg
IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7870.jpg
IMG_7869.jpg
IMG_7838.jpg
IMG_7836.jpg
IMG_7697.jpg
IMG_7736.jpg
IMG_7738.jpg

UPDATE 5/29/2017
I have done a few things in the past several months that I need to update here. First off, I did an oil change on the car. Next I wanted to upgrade the stock stereo with a new Alpine double-din unit. I ended up going with the Alpine CDE-W265BT and I'm very happy with it. I then decided to order new speakers for the front doors and also the 6x9's in the back seat area. I went with Alpine SPS-610 & SPS-619 and they sound fantastic! Then again, the stock speakers were completely trashed. Next the windows were tinted. DARK. We'll see how long it lasts :shhh:, it looks cool and my Jeep is the same way but the Eclipse just seems darker. It's 5% all around/sunroof and 35% on the windshield with a 5% strip. I also put back my white interior LED's to replace the blue. They look so much cleaner and make the interior pop at night.

IMG_7968.jpg
IMG_7975.jpg
IMG_7991.jpg
IMG_8120.jpg
IMG_8121.jpg
IMG_8122.jpg
IMG_8123.jpg
IMG_8125.jpg
IMG_8124.jpg
IMG_8126.jpg
IMG_8111.jpg
IMG_8112.jpg
IMG_8117.jpg
IMG_8118.jpg
IMG_8119.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 6/3/2017
FINALLY, got around to changing the transmission, transfer case, and rear differential fluids. I have had the Redline fluid sitting in my garage for about a year...:p
Anyway, the transmission got 1 quart of Redline MTL and the rest Redline MT-90. The transfer case and rear differential got Redline Heavy ShockProof

IMG_8137.jpg
IMG_8138.jpg

Last edited:
Wow this car is clean! In much nicer shape than mine. I'm not usually a fan of white cars, but it's definitely working for this one. Thanks for pointing me towards the forum!

I just read all the thread, congratulations on your car, it’s a super clean 99 GSX love it!
Any update? Keep up the good work!

Btw where do you buy OEM parts from?

Just read through this myself as well. Very nice. I have a 99 as well, but I don't have the black interior for some reason. I have the grey leather. I'm a bit jealous. Not sure how Mitsu decided in 99 which cars got what color interior. I had a 99 Anniversary Edition GS for a while too that only had the tan leather - not the black.:idontknow:

I just read all the thread, congratulations on your car, it’s a super clean 99 GSX love it!
Any update? Keep up the good work!

Btw where do you buy OEM parts from?

Thank you!! I'm gonna be updating this thread very soon. As for the OEM parts, I've used JNZ-Tuning, ExtremePSI, and even eBay sometimes.

Just read through this myself as well. Very nice. I have a 99 as well, but I don't have the black interior for some reason. I have the grey leather. I'm a bit jealous. Not sure how Mitsu decided in 99 which cars got what color interior. I had a 99 Anniversary Edition GS for a while too that only had the tan leather - not the black.:idontknow:

Thanks! I was very picky when looking for this car. It HAD to have the BLACK leather! I'm guessing it was an option when buying new? But who knows :idontknow:.

UPDATE 3/14/2018
Here is a long overdue update! This will be covering everything since I last updated this thread. First off, I got the center taillight paint-matched and also bought some Euro/EDM folding side mirrors which had to be painted. I then had a pretty bad scare with the car. I was driving on the freeway when I started to smell and see smoke from under the hood. The car began to overheat and I pulled over right away. The upper hose broke off the radiator inlet and was shooting coolant all over the exhaust. I lost most of my coolant and had the car towed home. I did a few tests (compression, ect.) as I was nervous that the head gasket may have blown. All seems good. So I did an oil change, and replaced the radiator with the Mishimoto aluminum one with slim fans and shroud. I also got Mishimoto silicone hoses and an eBay silicone hose kit to replace all the coolant lines. I then got an extra valve cover powder-coated, Zaklee clear cam gear cover, front strut bar, polished spark plug cover, oil cap and hard intercooler piping to clean things up a bit under the hood. I then wanted to free up the exhaust a bit more so I got a Megan Racing V2 downpipe and welded a 3" high-flow cat on it to stay somewhat "clean" haha! And most recently I got my EVO 9 wheels powder-coated black, new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season tires (235/45/17), Power Stop Z26 drilled/slotted rotors all around and painted my calipers red. It'll have to do until I do the Brembo upgrade...

Coming hopefully soon:
Feal Coilovers
RM Racing Sway Bars
FP Exhaust Manifold
Paint some under-hood items

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8536.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8762.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8874.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you finally found a set of mirrors! Were they plug and play or did you have to wire them? What button do you end up pressing to make them fold in? Now you need EDM/JDM tails :)

Love the car, i dont like the mirrors personally just not my taste. But damn i wish i could find another white 2gb eclipse like that. I really miss my 97.

Glad you finally found a set of mirrors! Were they plug and play or did you have to wire them? What button do you end up pressing to make them fold in? Now you need EDM/JDM tails :)

I was super happy to find a set! The ones I found were silver, but I got them painted. They bolt on and plug in just like the stock mirrors. They aren't power folding though, you have to manually do it.

Love the car, i dont like the mirrors personally just not my taste. But damn i wish i could find another white 2gb eclipse like that. I really miss my 97.

Thanks!! The mirrors are definitely bulkier, but the folding is what sold me on them. I also really like how they have a wide angle view which allowed me to get rid of my blind spot mirrors.

My twin!! Gorgeous!

Check my thread :) I also have the EDM mirrors. Have to get yourself the tails now too!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/99-gsx-rebirth-clean-up-build.457414/
You have EDM mirrors still cause you didn't want to sell me yours remember?! :rolleyes: HAHA! I've been following your build for awhile! Even before I got my GSX.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back