The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Yep, im back with another opionion thread lol.. What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incredible_Culp

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 27, 2012
Norman, Oklahoma
As some of you know im looking to get my first dsm (yes,i still havent got one LOL).. 1g-2g it doesnt really matter anymore, i just want one.. I grew to be more of a fan of the 1g's tho a and b. I still like the 2ga style as well..

but anywho, i put my car on craigslist these past few months, and ive been getting more stupid offers than good ones for trade.. Until recently, 2 offers came through at almost the exact same time and both are completely different.

- 2000 GTi Vr6 (rebuilt motor= new oem pistons, b&g stage 2, 626 cams, exhaust.. blah blah blah.. with around 80k miles on the motor, and 164,xxx on body and tranny)

flaws: clear coat coming off the roof, throws code = o2 sensor. rebuilt title - was wrecked (dont know what this means when the title gets in my hand.. nothing? higher cost in something?)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

EDIT:

- 91 AWD TSi
Has fidanza flywheel
act 2100 clutch
Greddy type rs bov
walbro 255 fp
Aftermarket fpr
big 16g turbo
3in ss exhaust
drill and slotted front rotors
new tires all around
has boost gauge but needs hooked up
New battery w/ warranty
New coolant temp sensor w/ warranty
New lower control arm on passenger side

EDIT:
flaws: not tuned (says because there isnt much modded stuff for it to be tuned) its now over heating = she has to replace the t stat. and front suspension makes noises when going over bumps/dips in the road. FIXED.. She showed me pictures of the receipts

Both interiors are great/clean, especially the vw..

So here's my predicament..

-- Im going to trade my car. Im not wanting to spend cash on a dsm.. its going to a straight trade.. Both offers came through as a straight trade.. I went and looked at em.. both nice. Now im thinking what to do..

Should i trade for the vw, then turn around and sell it to get a better dsm? or trade for the dsm now?

the vw will not come with those wheels, he's going to put steelies on it.

Thanks guys, i will soon enough be in a dsm! :pray:

Last edited:
the DSM - the salvage title, poor paint, high miles (for a vw in my opinion) will not get you anything for the money.

The DSM sounds like a decent deal based on the two trades, not sure what exactly your trading/condition of your car.

i wouldnt necessarily trade for the DSM... but i definitely would not trade for the VW... salvage titles are never good...

my car, nothing is wrong.. everything works, super clean.. cant think of anything that it needs mechanically. super reliable.. i went to GA and back (oklahoma) last summer with it.. not a problem.. Yes it also has upgraded stuff as well, but all in all.. its really good.

Whats wrong with a salvage title?

EDIT: Nevermind, i googled it.. LOL. Yea, well, close this thread, already found my answer..

Thanks again guys

Last edited:
man, i didnt even realize the DSM had issues when i posted... i definitely would not trade for either ;p any way you can borrow some money to buy the DSM, and then pay people back so you can take your time selling your car?

man, i didnt even realize the DSM had issues when i posted... i definitely would not trade for either ;p any way you can borrow some money to buy the DSM, and then pay people back so you can take your time selling your car?

the talon doesnt seem to have that many problems really.. as soon as i get the car (assuming i take it) i was going to purchase coilovers.. that should fix the noises coming from the suspension..

she doesnt want to trade it to me yet.. she wants to replace the t stat to solve the over heating problem first..

and no, not really.. i dont think i have somebody that will lend me 3k.. LOL

Honestly, i would still venture to say that it isnt a fair trade... but hey, if your okay with that, and are really itching for a DSM, go for it.

Hope you don't plan on DD the dsm if you get it. The VW no way. Salvage title = bad news. The over heating on the dsm could be several things worst of all being a head gasket but usually there is pushing of coolant and white smoke,aka steam, from the exhaust related to that and blue tops 450's are stock on turbo Dsm's. I find it hard to believe its just the thermo, a $10 part and 5 mins of labor keeping her from fixing it. Plus if it has overheated then there is a chance the head is warped and if its not blown the head gasket is soon to go. Dsm's are great cars if you know how to take care of and work on them, had mine 14yrs and still love it, bit they are an absolute nightmare if you don't.

^ Dead on. While that 1g looks pretty clean and has a few basic mods done already, I personally wouldn't trade your Lude for it. At least not in it's current condition. Your Honda may not be boosted and AWD, but sounds reliable as hell and looks really clean (which should mean a lot coming from me LOL). I'd wait for a more sound DSM to start with. And I'd definitely wait for a DSM. Your not going to find a better turbocharged 4 cylinder platform for the price.

Great deals are out there man, just be patient and enjoy your sanity while you can.

Hope you don't plan on DD the dsm if you get it. The VW no way. Salvage title = bad news. The over heating on the dsm could be several things worst of all being a head gasket but usually there is pushing of coolant and white smoke,aka steam, from the exhaust related to that and blue tops 450's are stock on turbo Dsm's. I find it hard to believe its just the thermo, a $10 part and 5 mins of labor keeping her from fixing it. Plus if it has overheated then there is a chance the head is warped and if its not blown the head gasket is soon to go. Dsm's are great cars if you know how to take care of and work on them, had mine 14yrs and still love it, bit they are an absolute nightmare if you don't.

it doesnt over heat anymore.. it wasnt going to the red fast.. it would stop half way between red and "regular"

she got the problem fixed.

^ Dead on. While that 1g looks pretty clean and has a few basic mods done already, I personally wouldn't trade your Lude for it. At least not in it's current condition. Your Honda may not be boosted and AWD, but sounds reliable as hell and looks really clean (which should mean a lot coming from me LOL). I'd wait for a more sound DSM to start with. And I'd definitely wait for a DSM. Your not going to find a better turbocharged 4 cylinder platform for the price.

Great deals are out there man, just be patient and enjoy your sanity while you can.

thanks i really appreciate it... but yea, i dont mind spending more money on it if need be. i rather spend money on maintenance and getting things fixed than spending money on another used car.. thats just me LOL.. it took a lot to get the lude as reliable as it is now.. went through hell with it.. but i enjoyed it.. i like challenges and this dsm is definitely different i.e. awd, boost, etc etc.. heard so much great/bad stuff from this platform.. im eager to get into it nonetheless! the more replacing i do, the more i'll know about the car..

But here is the upgrades already done to the car -- i found the post: :thumb:

Has fidanza flywheel
act 2100 clutch
Greddy type rs bov
walbro 255 fp
Aftermarket fpr
big 16g turbo
3in ss exhaust
drill and slotted front rotors
new tires all around
has boost gauge but needs hooked up
New battery w/ warranty
New coolant temp sensor w/ warranty
New lower control arm on passenger side

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back