The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

XTD Sprung Puck Disc 6k Mile Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This clutch disc was used with an ebay xtd "2300lb" pressure plate.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

(I know for a fact that the pp is heavier than an act 2100) The friction material wear was very decent actually. I had a brand new one side by side and you can see. Again this was after about 6k miles and lots of abuse haha.

However....

So the spring was starting to try and come out. Who knows if it would have ever made it free or not. I do know that my new act unsprung street disc is about 3x lighter than the sprung xtd puck is. I'll probably get another xtd, except next time it will be the unsprung.

I replaced my clutch in 2010 with a "stage 3" XTD clutch. The same thing happened to me. When I removed it a few months later, the clutch disk was was was peeled back where the spring contact points were. I went with Southbend clutches and haven't had a problem since then.

I did the 2100 kit and the rivets failed on the disc not even 1000 miles on it, went with a stock exedy , 1000 miles so far still shifting. This was back in 2015 not sure if their quality has gone up since then. Also i didnt abuse the clutch was doing break in miles.

The materials with the XTD clutches are poor quality. It truly is worth your time to go with Southbend clutches or another reputable brand. It's a pain to disassemble everything to install a clutch. STD, NOT XTD

The materials with the XTD clutches are poor quality. It truly is worth your time to go with Southbend clutches or another reputable brand. It's a pain to disassemble everything to install a clutch. STD, NOT XTD

Idk. I kinda look at a clutch as yearly maintenance. $50 for a disc that lasted 9 months and 6k miles is pretty alright imo. Lots of launching practice, slipping the hell out of the clutch trying not to break anything, and she's barely worn.. And $75 for a 2300lb pressure plate sits alright with me too. I was looking into sbc but I couldn't get myself to spend $500 on a clutch when I still have other things I NEED to buy.

Now, if the spring had come out and left me stranded/caused damage, that would be a different story. Fwiw, I bought the car in non running condition after a spring came out of the way more expensive comp clutch disc that the p.o. had in the car. I'll probably buy an xtd again but it will be sans springs. I will definitely buy their pressure plate again.

I will add that before i went xtd i had a ACT 2600 or 2900 kit, cant remember now. Brand name, it failed. Springs fell out of the disc. So if a brand name can fail that cost triple as xtd why not try it for the cheap cost was my reason. Plus ive pulled more then enough 2g transmission that a clutch job is only a 30min job now :p

Just wanted to update everyone since there's some xtd bashing happening here. I lost all gears yesterday while entering a highway on ramp (maybe 1-2psi boost). Act 2100 and act unsprung street disc.

Im wondering if it would be safe to rivet the centers back to the disc with some stainless rivets or of the like :idontknow:

My experience with XTD stage 4 unsprung 6 puck clutch was pretty bad as a daily. Sure it works, but the engagement/chatter from it was not worth the money. Sprung version would have made the difference but from what I've read, they eventually bust out a spring or 2.

My opinion is it is not worth the hassle for an unsprung version even though the unsprung versions are the only ones that are decently reliable. Held torque but nothing to be impressed by.

I am now using the xtd unsptung stage 4 and I feel like it's easier to drive and chatters less than the sprung stage 3 did. I'm digging it. About 700 miles on it so far. Took it to the 1/4 track and ran 6 passes in 2 hours after just 60 miles of break in LOL

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back