The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

WTF? Look what I just pulled out of my motor..... :x

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2004
D/FW, Texas
I was changing my valve cover and valve cover gaskets tonight, and found a nice "surprise" left by the previous owner.

I lifted the valve cover off and saw what looked like a piece of rubber gasket material wedged in one of the exhaust springs....I was like WTF ???

I got the needle-nose pliers, and pulled it free.....And what was it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yep, that's right --- One of those little plastic ring "seals" from a new bottle of oil.

WTF

Thanks yet again, previous owner! Always keeping me on my toes :rolleyes: :toobad:

RedTurboEclipse said:
That is why many DSMs are unreliable. Because of the previous owners.

For real. It's just sad :(
I felt so sorry for my car....I have no idea how long he had been driving her around like that. *sigh* :toobad:

dude my previous owner had no clue what they were doinging i pulled out things that wernt even attached, they were just shoved away hidden for me to find. i got a sweet deal on it but i had to put alot of work to reverse what the previous owner did

How did you find that wedged in one of the exhaust valves just by taking the valve cover off? Do you mean it was in an exhaust spring?

DSMcamaro said:
How did you find that wedged in one of the exhaust valves just by taking the valve cover off? Do you mean it was in an exhaust spring?

Haha, yes, I meant spring. :thumb: ;)

femmeDSM said:
Haha, yes, I meant spring. :thumb: ;)
ok. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything, I was j/w / checking. That sucks though.:(

DSMcamaro said:
ok. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything, I was j/w / checking. That sucks though.:(

it's cool, I know you're not a smart ass. ;)

It's been a long day :boring: LOL

Old Mitsu Tech said:
At least it wasn't from an anti freeze jugROFL

Lol....No kidding :rolleyes:
On that same note, though....There *was* in fact anti freeze in the rear windshield washer fluid reservoir when I bought the car.......... :toobad:

femmeDSM said:
Lol....No kidding :rolleyes:
On that same note, though....There *was* in fact anti freeze in the rear windshield washer fluid reservoir when I bought the car.......... :toobad:
And i'm sure they went searching for blinker fluid at autozone the same day.

being a long time mechanic, I have seen that a few times. It happens when do-it yourselfers dont use a funnel. They just put the opening of the oil quart directly into the valve cover opening. Then when they pull it out the ring catches the edge of the valve cover and gets snagged and pulled off.

LOL, i changed my VC 2 weeks ago and found that EXACT thing in there... was wedged nicely between 2 and 3... Damn DYIers... although a mechanic could make this honest mistake as well, but usually they dont fill from individual gallon jugs.

If it makes you feel any better, the last owner of mine was a 16 year old kid who torqued the oil filter on so hard the whole fitting came off and he drilled a hole through the firewall straight through a bundle of wires. Unfortunately, most people are idiots, and we buy cars from them...

Heh, I got my Talon...checked the oil..there was barely a quart of oil in it, and come to find out he was using 20W-50 because it said "racing formula" on the vavoline bottle, ha ha what a tard.

Nevermind the fact I found out he'd roast the tires at every corner he could because he loved the smell of burned rubber. Can we say ###?

Well 12,000 later....and the car STILL has problems...yeah I really got it from a jackass previous owner.

RedTurboEclipse said:
That is why many DSMs are unreliable. Because of the previous owners.

youd be suprised how many "current" owners are leading the cars to that very conclusion........

paranoidTSi said:
Heh, I got my Talon...checked the oil..there was barely a quart of oil in it, and come to find out he was using 20W-50 because it said "racing formula" on the vavoline bottle, ha ha what a tard.

Nevermind the fact I found out he'd roast the tires at every corner he could because he loved the smell of burned rubber. Can we say ###?

Well 12,000 later....and the car STILL has problems...yeah I really got it from a jackass previous owner.

Makes me feel better That I bought my car from a family man with a wife and kids and has owned the car since 1994 and only has 142k kms. :D

Yes you did get off lucky. Over on the Datsun Z forums I frequent, one guy bought a motor for $600, "rebuilt". Well he took the head off and pistons 1 and 4 were on backwards. They were on the rods correctly, just the rods were mounted the wrong way on the crank. Also the piston rings on piston #1 were bad...two rings were stacked on top of one another, and piston #5 was missing a ring LOL So much for a "rebuilt" motor huh?

Certain people just don't need to be working on cars. I'd like to type up how the p/o of my 280Z took a gorgeous, modified sports car, and "creatively engineered" several ways of killing reliablity, performance, future resell value, etc; but I don't think you guys wanna read a short novel about my car's problems :D

1gcrazy said:
And i'm sure they went searching for blinker fluid at autozone the same day.
It isn't that hard to find, I'm pretty sure they keep it right by the boost fluid :D .

Snobordin8 said:
It isn't that hard to find, I'm pretty sure they keep it right by the boost fluid :D .

right next to muffler the bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back