The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

WTF is wrong with my car! video attached

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psiboost

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
The other day i was driving and car was acting normal and i turned it off. Now when I crank it it turns over but wont catch. Any help is appreciated on what things i should check. Here is a video of it.

YouTube - DSCF3210.MP4

well i dont have any sound on my pc, but check for spark i feel the cas is the problem, or something fuel related.

well now that i hooked my speakers up i think you need to do a compression test it sounds like no compression, also just out of curiosity are the plugs wet.

Last edited:
exactly what was said above check for spark and check your plugs and wires man just sounds like theres no spark going on to me as far as it starting up that would be first thing then a compression test for sure

I checked for spark and all are firing up with no problems. Plugs aren't wet either.

I was thinking that the Cam Position Sensor could be the culprit. I tested the CPS harness connector for continuity and voltage, and it came out fine....however I'm not too sure how to test the actual sensor.

turning over way to fast for me pull the upper timing cover and check the timing belt

Ok now turn the motor by hand while checking the teeth on the timing belt to make sure it isn't stripped.If its not then line up the timing marks to see if she jumped timing

that is the exact same sound my car made.
My timing belt had failed because debris in the timing case. The crankshaft was spinning but the timing belt was not catching because of the debris. it would have been a simple fix if i didn't try to start it. So i would suggest to open the timing case and just take a look if you blew a belt or something like i did. I'll admit its an unlikely scenario but it happened to me so just take a look before you try again.

So we did a compression test and got zilch on the two cylinders that we tested. So now the thought is timing is off leaving the valves open at the wrong time. We're going to try again with another tester to make sure it's not a bad tester, but pretty sure it's still going to read 0 psi.

I guaruntee you bent valves. You will need at the minimum new gaskets as well as a valve job. Worst case scenario, the pistons have holes in them and the whole engine is trashed.

I guaruntee you bent valves. You will need at the minimum new gaskets as well as a valve job. Worst case scenario, the pistons have holes in them and the whole engine is trashed.

I think that's a bit extreme of a diagnosis -

The car was running good all the way up until I pulled it into my driveway. Then the next day when I went to start it, it wouldn't.

Since the car was running up until my driveway - I'm even hesitant that it's slipped timing. Maybe the gasket is just leaking VERY badly :pray:

that is the exact same sound my car made.
My timing belt had failed because debris in the timing case. The crankshaft was spinning but the timing belt was not catching because of the debris. it would have been a simple fix if i didn't try to start it. So i would suggest to open the timing case and just take a look if you blew a belt or something like i did. I'll admit its an unlikely scenario but it happened to me so just take a look before you try again.

I don't have a timing case around the belt - never have since I can't remember. Belt is on with normal tension.

I would suggest doing a pressure test on the cylinders, take out all plugs, block the throttle wide open, take off your oil cap, and if you want, take off your exhaust manifold, and your coolant cap. Then use an air compressor to pressurize each cylinder at top dead center on its compression stroke, then listen out all 4 areas for hissing or air rushing out, this will tell you where your losing compression from and what the fix will be. It will also tell you if your head gasket is leaking by air rushing out the other cylinders' plug holes. hope this helps get you back out on the road.

I know this may sound silly but are the cam gears turning when you crank it. We cant see the gears from the video you took. If the timing belt fails down around the BS the top around the gears can still stay tight.

Same thing happened to me last week. i started my DSM and it wouldnt run. coulnt figure it out. It was the timing belt. It jumped a couple of teeth. Cant exactly figure out what happened, but lined the belt back up and now runs fine.

yea man you definently have no compression ive seen many times these things will run fine then not start and the reason was the timing belt actually was missing teath and just so happened to stop with the missing teath around the crank and therefore belt doesnt turn when u crank it does the belt rotate?

any updates?This same thing happened to me,the tbelt tensioner failed and i bent most of the valves,so new headgasket/valves and timing kit fixed it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back