The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

WTB 1G AWD Transfer Case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaebudd

Probationary Member
Oct 21, 2003
Milpitas, California
My transfer case locked up on me recently so I need one ASAP. Tired of driving the soccer mom van to work.

BTW, I have a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi just in case someone wanted to know. Thanks!

I have one from a 90 tsi. You can have it for $50 picked up in Fairfield.

You need a 1991-1996 23-spline transfer case.

The 90 all aluminum tcase is a 22-spline.

22 or 23 spline tcase?

I've never had to do anything with my transfer case other than change fluids, so I'm pretty noobish when dealing with this. I've counted the teeth on the tranny end and it has 22. So I'm guessing a 22 spline? Any info would help. Thanks!

FIrst off, do you know if the transmission has been ever taken apart or replaced or rebuilt?

Get the VIN off the transmission. Also get the model number off the transmission. Both are stampings on the bellhousing.

A 1990 transmission will have the model number "W5M332NPZS". The transmission VIN code will be 17-digits long. If you can read all 17 digits, post it up and I can decode the VIN for you. Otherwise, at a minimum, you will need to find the 10th digit which will be a letter. "L" = 1990 , "M" = 1991, "N" = 1992, "P" = 1993, "R" = 1994.

A 1991-1994 transmission will have the model number "W5M332NPXV".

If untouched, all 1989-1990.06 (june 1990) transmissions had 22-spline output shafts. All 1990.7-1999 transmissions had 23-spline output shafts.

Count again.

There is also one more indicator if your output shaft is 22-spline or 23-spline but it requires a direct view of it as you only see it from the side profile of it. The 22-spline output shaft has splines that are cut into the shaft and end with v-grooved cuts into the shaft body itself. The 23-spline output shaft has splines that are cuty into the shaft and end with a squared off finish into the shaft body itself.

As well, discussing transfer cases; unless the tcase has been modified in the past, the only 22-spline transfer case had a complete cast aluminum housing (front, center and tail housing pieces). All 1991-1999 transfer cases had a cast iron front housing and side cover (normally painted black), and cast aluminum center and tail housings. As well, all late 1991-1999 transfer case center and tail housing sections had 2x M8x1.25mm bolt holes on the driver-side face of the tcase. All 1989-early 1991 tcases did not have these extra bolt holes.

If you need pictures to understand what I am saying, I could go take some for you.

FIrst off, do you know if the transmission has been ever taken apart or replaced or rebuilt?

Get the VIN off the transmission. Also get the model number off the transmission. Both are stampings on the bellhousing.

A 1990 transmission will have the model number "W5M332NPZS". The transmission VIN code will be 17-digits long. If you can read all 17 digits, post it up and I can decode the VIN for you. Otherwise, at a minimum, you will need to find the 10th digit which will be a letter. "L" = 1990 , "M" = 1991, "N" = 1992, "P" = 1993, "R" = 1994.

A 1991-1994 transmission will have the model number "W5M332NPXV".

If untouched, all 1989-1990.06 (june 1990) transmissions had 22-spline output shafts. All 1990.7-1999 transmissions had 23-spline output shafts.

Count again.

There is also one more indicator if your output shaft is 22-spline or 23-spline but it requires a direct view of it as you only see it from the side profile of it. The 22-spline output shaft has splines that are cut into the shaft and end with v-grooved cuts into the shaft body itself. The 23-spline output shaft has splines that are cuty into the shaft and end with a squared off finish into the shaft body itself.

As well, discussing transfer cases; unless the tcase has been modified in the past, the only 22-spline transfer case had a complete cast aluminum housing (front, center and tail housing pieces). All 1991-1999 transfer cases had a cast iron front housing and side cover (normally painted black), and cast aluminum center and tail housings. As well, all late 1991-1999 transfer case center and tail housing sections had 2x M8x1.25mm bolt holes on the driver-side face of the tcase. All 1989-early 1991 tcases did not have these extra bolt holes.

If you need pictures to understand what I am saying, I could go take some for you.

Well the bellhousing cracked once but was welded. Then it cracked again so I just replaced it. My friend had a project 1GA (1990) and I'm pretty sure the replacement tranny came from that project. Other than that, I'd have to check the VIN and model tomorrow morning. Regardless, all that info helps out a lot. Thanks! I've included images of either end.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 92 TSI as well, and a spare T-case. Let me count the splines when I get home just in case, but, let me know if you're still interested..
Located in Concord.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back