The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Wrong Inner Seal after New Wheel Bearing Install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I recently came across having my Front Left wheel bearing starting to wear out for some reason, so I did battle with my Talon and got the knuckle off, got the wheel bearing (Timken), inner and outer seals, and took it to a machine shop to have them press the old one out and put the new one in. When I picked it up from the shop I tried to spin the hub but found it was extremely tough to turn, and when I asked them if that was normal they said yea. So I took it home, put it on, bolted everything up, and took it for a spin around the block and now there is a squeaky rubbing sound like metal on rubber. My Talon is AWD with ABS, I am thinking that the inner seal either was not greased enough or the auto parts store gave me the wrong seal. :notgood: Can someone share with me the differences between the ABS and non-ABS inner seals? Also, if this is "normal" as they say it is, will more driving help seat the seal or something? I am cringing at the fact that Im going to have to rip off the whole assembly yet AGAIN :mad: Plus now every time I turn the car I hear clunking sounds from all around the car, Im seriously losing it with all these problems one after another :cry:

Also if I need to get the seals and bearing pressed out, can I get away with just having the shop press the new wheel bearing and seals out and just have them swap the seals with the new/correct inner seal? Because I dropped $50 for that damn Timken wheel bearing and I want to be able to use it. Meh.

UPDATE: Took the entire assembly back to the machine shop and had them press it apart again and it turned out that the auto parts store I went to sold me the wrong inner seal so when it was installed, it was pressing out against the hub causing that squeaky rubber-on-metal noise. Put everything back together and am back on the roads again, so if you see me around, Ill probably see you too and get excited that another DSM is actually running :p

NATIONAL 225230 and 225450 were the correct inner and outer seals I ended up using for my AWD TSI with ABS.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back