The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Wrap vs paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justatinkeringnut1

Probationary Member
Apr 28, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
I am asking basic questions because when I say I’m new to this, I mean new. I am just interested in getting feedback on the pros and cons of both.

Cost wise nowadays for paint seems to be right around the same for a good wrap depending on the color and quality of the wrap. You also have to worry about finding some one who does the wrap correctly and cleanly unless you plan on DIY. Good quality wrap can be pretty durable too, I have a friend with a matte black wrapped turbo miata that blows a set of tires almost every weekend and the wrap only has some scuffs where the tires bits slapped around outside the wheel well. Inside has some chunks where it's starting to peel taking a bit more of a beating but believe me when I say the thing gets abused quite often and its still holding up pretty well after about 6 months.

My personal opinion is to do both LOL. I know that sounds crazy but to get a really good wrap done you are going to need body work anyway. I plan on stripping my car down to only metal and having everything primed/painted/ and THEN wrapped to 1. Protect the paint, and 2. Change the color of the car from the original paint code without devaluing the car from the vin paint code.

My personal opinion is to do both LOL. I know that sounds crazy but to get a really good wrap done you are going to need body work anyway. I plan on stripping my car down to only metal and having everything primed/painted/ and THEN wrapped to 1. Protect the paint, and 2. Change the color of the car from the original paint code without devaluing the car from the vin paint code.
True, I didn't think about the body work either. Having my friend with a wrapped car and seeing the quality and different colors made me want to wrap my 2g but there's rust around the trunk hatch window and the hood is pretty beat which would need some TLC before a proper wrap job.. Good point. Both if you have the time or money would for sure be best.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back