The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Would you be mad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdtalon4451

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
Ocean springs, Mississippi
I recently put a WTB ad out for a few parts I was looking for my build. One of the items was o2 housing w/external wastegate provisions and a 38mm WG. Shortly after I was contacted by a member who claimed he had a Punishment Racing 2.5" o2 setup for atmospheric dump WG. He sent me this pics.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Which looked legit...untill I received it. Upon opening I noticed slag from welds were all over it but had been painted. The o2 bung and WG flange welds look like total shit. Im not sure what went on with it. The WG flange is so close to the exhaust housing flange I seriously doubt I can fasten my WG to it. Heres some pics of it.

How would you feel about this if it were you that bought this? Keep in mind I payed about $150 for this. Thanks for your input guys

I recently saw this in the classifieds and thought of reporting it. That is not a Punishment O2 housing. At least not an EWG housing, it looks like it was a dumped IWG housing that was modified by someone with half-ass welding skills. Not anything you should be selling without fully disclosing the details. I once sold a 1g BOV that was attached to a piece of 2.5" mild steel pipe. I personally welded a stock flange to the pipe with my MIG. I'm not the best welder at all, so it was ugly and messy. But it sealed like a champ and the buyer knew that I first-handedly MIG welded it. I didn't try to claim it was a factory piece just because it had a factory flange, this guy shouldn't have claimed it was PR just because it once was.

HOWEVER, the welds do look good enough to seal and hold. For how long under heat and stress? Who knows, I'm just saying it would work. For $150, I don't think you can complain much either. I'm days away from shelling out $500 for a Punishment EWG housing. That's the price you pay for quality parts from a trustworthy source. Yes, it's a BS part and the guy should have explained the details, but it could be much worse.

Bottom line: The dude is in the wrong for claiming it was Punishment when it's CLEARLY a backyard modification. Can you really get your panties in a bunch over $150 for a functioning EWG housing? That's kind of a grey area. Lets just say if I were leaving this guy feedback, it would be neutral. Not a good thing, but not exactly bad either.

Wes im not to much worried about its ugliness, I can grind the welds down and have a friend put a pass or two over it for beautification. It is NOT functional, my EWG bolts WONT fit. There is not enough clearance between the flanges for the nuts. So the only way ill be able to fix is cut it off, take material off and reweld it. Which is total bullshit on his part.
Yes I understand its "only" $150 but I bought because of what is was suppose to be not because I was being cheap. There are cheaper ways to run EWG than off the o2. If I had know this (the POS flaws) I would have held off and waited. Sure I would have liked to buy the $550 recirc o2 and MVS kit (the one you implied) but im trying to keep my build under $4k at the moment. So I spent $300 on this and a TurboSmart Ultra-gate.

Wouldn't fly.

The item is significantly different than described. I'd contact the seller for a refund but maybe for someone who actually doesn't mind tearing it down and rewelding it, I guess $150.00 is ok.
That guy just isn't me.

...I mean the fricken bolt holes are even full of slag. Can you even slide a bolt into them without having to bore out the holes?

Mig welded, if you zoom the original picture you can see the shitty welds and slag, id say it's sort of your fault for not looking at the first picture close enough. The original picture looks to be exactly what you purchased. I would have rather tig'd my own LOL.

Just tap the flange for your bolts. No need to put nuts on the backside of the flange. Clean out the slag and call it a day.

Wouldn't fly.

The item is significantly different than described. I'd contact the seller for a refund but maybe for someone who actually doesn't mind tearing it down and rewelding it, I guess $150.00 is ok.
That guy just isn't me.

...I mean the fricken bolt holes are even full of slag. Can you even slide a bolt into them without having to bore out the holes?

PieEyed you are correct, the bolts wont even penetrate with the slag in holes :/ Ive tried contactung the seller with no avail. I wonder if worst comes to worse will PayPal accept a claim on this. I mean if its not what the seller described it to be I would think they would honor it. Maybe im being optimistic though.

Tap the holes on the o2 housing, and drill out the holes on your wastegate. Its an easy fix however id be pissed if someone sent that to me, esp claiming it was a quality piece when clearly it isnt

Mig welded, if you zoom the original picture you can see the shitty welds and slag, id say it's sort of your fault for not looking at the first picture close enough. The original picture looks to be exactly what you purchased. I would have rather tig'd my own LOL.

If by MIG you mean "big metal bird" and by "welded" you mean "flew by and pooped a similar substance to the joint of two materials", then yes, i guess you would say MIG WELDED.. I would be more inclined to say Hellen Keller and Corky having their own version of the pottery moment in the movie ghost LOL

just playin but i'd b mad, I could give a blind kid a stick welder and tell him we were playing "whak-a-mole" at the arcade and get similar results :D

If by MIG you mean "big metal bird" and by "welded" you mean "flew by and pooped a similar substance to the joint of two materials", then yes, i guess you would say MIG WELDED.. I would be more inclined to say Hellen Keller and Corky having their own version of the pottery moment in the movie ghost LOL

just playin but i'd b mad, I could give a blind kid a stick welder and tell him we were playing "whak-a-mole" at the arcade and get similar results :D

Sometimes I get on tuners just for your comments

Sometimes I get on tuners just for your comments

you should see the hell i'm waising on facebook today :D i'm organizing the "special gameseses and assigning odd jobs to variouse friends and their girlfriends at random. PLaying the slingblade movie wuote trivia challenge and seeing how many peoplein general i can scare into deleting me with comments that would at best make me look like a roll model to a psychopathic, WWF wrestler cursed with the iq of gilber grape

www.facebook.com/TGIglenn add request and i'll add you.. it gets fun sometimesbut i'm wearing down this moningalready, been at it since accusing my new room mate of being theliving dead on meth and leaving not a path of brains an death but taken apart electronics and unfinsihed chores in her wake, i wish ihad a pic to go with it ,LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back