The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Would I be able to build a n/a high rev motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lglracer

Supporting VIP
Jul 13, 2008
Sacramento, California
i was wondering if i would be able to build a n/a high rev motor?:confused: do you think its possible? i think it would be cool. the reason is is because i do tuoge and would like a naturally asperated motor because i dont like the turbo lag and the all of a sudden kick when i start to come out of the end of the corner.:thumb:

Sure I don't see why not. It'll be expensive, forged pistons, rods, and crank. Also the motor has to be blueprinted/balanced, rebuilt head, lightweight flywheel, pulleys, and crank pulley. I want to do this myself but I don't have the money for it.

Keep in mind there are ways to reduce lag and it would be a lot cheaper.

I've always wanted to build a non turbo 4g63 1G for fun :D I know the turbo cams (thinking 272's) will work for the NT 4g63, get a header, ITB's and a 4g64 crank :thumb: I know turbo DSM's are obviously going to be faster, but it would be interesting to say the least.

You can build a high rev NA motor, but it would just be way too expensive to do. Now also being in California, there's no way that you'd be able to get the car to pass smog with all the mods needed to make a high revving NA DSM motor. Turbo might actually be a better option seeing as you quite possibly could make it look visually stock seeing that you have a variation of the 4G63 motor. Even then you'd have a hard time passing smog. Another thing about doing touge in these cars is that the weight offset is not really ideal in these vehicles seeing as they are front heavy. Also being FWD is another minus for touge as well.

If you did want to build a nice touge car, you'd be better off trying to find a tried and true drift car to supplement your DSM. Sure they might cost more now seeing as the drift scene became mainstream, bumping up the price of those cars considerably. There is a reason why people who do touge get them though. They are all RWD, light, and can be a blast to drive down a mountain. Also if you did want to stick with an FWD car for touge, you'd be better off with either a EG or EK hatch. They are light and with the right motor, can compete with the right skills.

Now I'm not talking about full blown drifting, but real touge style driving. A RWD model would be your best bet, as the drivetrain setup is a lot easier on tires, but needs a lot of practice to master. An FWD is good for pushing your car harder because of the stability of the vehicle, but is much harder on tires. An AWD model also can be great on the touge, but needs to be pushed to their limits in order to truly be driven fast.

Of course I would love to see a true DSM be a great touge car, but for the $$, you can get something that would make it easier to be competative in.

I personally think the only good Mitsu car that can compete in touge is an Evo. Especially with their heritage in rally racing.

I don't mean to knock DSM's, but to me the strengths of these cars are seen more on the drag strip. They also can be good road racing cars when you take them off the street and strip them down.

For a street car, a DSM is something totally unique. A fast car that can be truly enjoyed without sacrificing comfort, head-turning looks that stand the test of time, but docile enough to drive your grandma around in. Plus the ability to break off cars 2 classes above them with a little tuning is the greatest thing about these cars.

Also with the turbo DSM's, these are the cars that people usually first cut their teeth on when getting into turbo vehicles seeing as some of the more prominent Japanese turbo cars are usually out of the price range of most buyers. These cars are relatively cheap, can be made to go fast with a smaller budget than some other turbo cars, and are just so sexy =D

Sorry I didn't mean to rant, but that's my opinion on trying to build a high revving NA DSM. If you want to build a nice Japanese NA car stick to a Honda. They are easier to build for NA and are truly the kings of NA machines for Japanese cars.

With that being said, I still love my DSM =D

Me an my friend have often talked about building an NA monster, i would say if you got the money and time go for it :rocks: It can be one hell of a learning experience at the very least. On the plus it would be unique and have certain quality's not found in turbo cars maybe make a high revving monster?... on the flipside i would personally miss the feeling of a turbo spooling up and slamming you back in your seat as your hp is nearly doubled or tripled then if you were NA :D its like sex for me along with the b.o.v sound.. :p

Let me/ us know if it happens :cool:

i was wondering if i would be able to build a n/a high rev motor?:confused: do you think its possible? i think it would be cool. the reason is is because i do tuoge and would like a naturally asperated motor because i dont like the turbo lag and the all of a sudden kick when i start to come out of the end of the corner.:thumb:

If I was gonna go this route I'd hit up these guys :p
Products: Throttle Bodies

i was thinking of also taking a 1.8 crank and using that. its got just a tad bit longer strokje but its light as hell. so it could spin faster.

I beam or aluminum rods
forged pistons
balanced bottom end (can probably use the stock crank)
beehive springs
new retainers
you'll be good to go if you use a cam to take you to elevendy rpm and continue to make power :D

Are you talking about the 4G67 1.8L, 4G37 1.8L, or the G4CN 1.8L? Most of your money is going to go into the head. And to get your head CNC machined is a few grand...about 3k. But good luck to you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back