The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Would a bad cam or crank sensor throw at cel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The CAS probably would (P0340), the crank probably won't, though it can. If the crank sensor is bad though, the car won't turn over normally.

Welcome to the hell of 95 ignition problems.... Read some of my previous early threads. You'll see why I switched to a 1g CAS after screwing around with the 95 ignition system for as long as I did...

I was on the verge of setting my 95 on fire with a bucket of napalm and driving it into a salt mine sink hole in the middle of the desert before I found my 1g CAS and did the stuff I needed to to make it run RIGHT.

Last edited:
Ive never seen/noticed one to. What are your symptoms?

I have a similar problem. I have a 1995 Eclipse RS. No mods on it either.
When I plug in my sensor to the computer jack in the car I get two codes.
P0340 which I'm still working on fixing. The other code though is a P1930.
Any ideas on the second code? I'm at a total loss here, and on the gauge cluster my check engine light comes on sometimes but disappears immediately as well.

For the P0340 I needed a new sensor and a new wiring harness plug, but I am still getting the code regardless of what I have tried recently. To add to my misery the P1930 code now comes on as well.

Could someone please give me some insight. Also when I replaced the Cam Position Sensor I went and bought a new plug the one I had was wired into the harness but instead of having 3 flat prongs for the Cam Position Sensor it it had three small pins instead, any idea what that might have come off of?

I've looked and haven't been able to find a vehicle that it matches or any other DSM model.

P1930 I believe someone correct me, is an evap emissions system code of some kind. The event set some kind of generic code that is thrown when an evaporative emissions event happens. Sometime generic scan tools will give you such a random code like that. Only thing you can retrieve is freeze frame data on that code and see when it sets again. Try tightening your gas cap, sounds funny but could be that simple.

P1930 I believe someone correct me, is an evap emissions system code of some kind. The event set some kind of generic code that is thrown when an evaporative emissions event happens. Sometime generic scan tools will give you such a random code like that. Only thing you can retrieve is freeze frame data on that code and see when it sets again. Try tightening your gas cap, sounds funny but could be that simple.

I did some looking around for that code and it says it has to do with transmission drum 2(1)
that doesn't sound good, I will try to tighten the gas cap and see if it helps. The code scanner that I am using is CarMD.

I seen several different manufactures use that code for fuel as well. Didn't know if an engine problem could set that code even though there is nothing wrong with your transmission? I've seen codes that get set off due just from a cold start up. When you swapped CAS did you do the COP too? I have seen many post where there is a problem with doing that. I have been searching for an answer to that question.

So far it has been narrowed to one wire that is not getting power. People get stumped right there and now their stuck. They swap out parts all the way down to ecu and still have the problem.

It all comes down to 1 wire not getting power. That's the problem it's intermittent so may work one minute it works then the next minute it does not work.

I seen several different manufactures use that code for fuel as well. Didn't know if an engine problem could set that code even though there is nothing wrong with your transmission? I've seen codes that get set off due just from a cold start up. When you swapped CAS did you do the COP too? I have seen many post where there is a problem with doing that. I have been searching for an answer to that question.

So far it has been narrowed to one wire that is not getting power. People get stumped right there and now their stuck. They swap out parts all the way down to ecu and still have the problem.

It all comes down to 1 wire not getting power. That's the problem it's intermittent so may work one minute it works then the next minute it does not work.

I ran my code scanner and I apologize it was late and I remembered the code wrong. the code I actually got was a 1390.
What is COP? I read on another dsm site that its timing, what I need to do is go to the dealer have them use some special measuring tool and reset my timing.

COP is Coil over Plug, there using the 2G ignition system on the 1G's. I've seen allot of complaints from people after doing that mod. I found this site that explains in detail on what the p1390 is.

Mitsubishi Eclipse DTC P1390

Now, remember the cars are almost the same so just because it's a Mits and yours is a Eagle does not matter on specific trouble code applications. it's the same for both applications.

Alright thanks.
I think that my timing is a tooth off and just need to go spend the cash to get the timing back right. Other wise though I've replaced the CPS, Made sure that all the plugs and wiring was correct. So my only guess is that I'm a tooth or two off. Since I don't know any other DSMers her in AZ that would be willing to help out with this I'm going to take it to a shop and spend the $450-$500 to get it done right as well as a new belt for the cams.

COP is Coil over Plug, there using the 2G ignition system on the 1G's. I've seen allot of complaints from people after doing that mod. I found this site that explains in detail on what the p1390 is.

Mitsubishi Eclipse DTC P1390

Now, remember the cars are almost the same so just because it's a Mits and yours is a Eagle does not matter on specific trouble code applications. it's the same for both applications.

Mine is 2G Eclipse not an Eagle. I understand that they are the same car essentially but that didn't really do much to help me out.

Last edited:
I don't know how there would be a problem running a COP on that engine... I run COP's on a 1g CAS swap to a 95 and have never had a single hiccup from them. I just had to reverse the wiring to fire inverted from normal 95 ignition. That is strange...

my car will just crank and crank for days ive checked spark fuel and all the stuff on the list of a no start dsm guide and cant find any reason besides the cam or crank sensors being bad or not functioning properly.

ok, so i'm not 100% sure for 2g's but i know with 1g's it does. on my 91 when it wouldn't start, this is one the codes we got on the ecm link screen, once we wired in a 2g cam angle sensor, it started just fine and no more code.

Last edited by a moderator:
my car will just crank and crank for days ive checked spark fuel and all the stuff on the list of a no start dsm guide and cant find any reason besides the cam or crank sensors being bad or not functioning properly.

I am having the same problem. I replaced the cam sensor last fall and my buddy helping me said the timing was off by a tooth so he fixed that. I filled the tank with gas, drove it around for about 10 min, then parked it on my inclined driveway and it hasnt started since. Plugs and wires are new and coils tested good. I decided to replace the fuel pump and filter (filter was oe with 130k so figured good idea anyway and pump swapped for a walbro 255 hp). No check engine light. Not sure if I got a faulty sensor or bad connection, or where to look next??? Cranks all day but will not fully turn over, or if it does it only runs for half a second.

- Did you remove a spark plug, connect it and ground its casing, crank to visually see the spark? That would eliminate all ignition components (eg. not just test resistance of them).
- Perhaps you have a leaky fuel pressure regulator so no fuel pressure at the rail.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back