The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Worth it? Someone's car on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I doubt it's anyone's here since it was also purchased on BAT in 2020. I think the owner figured out it would go for top dollar and figured, why keep it when you can get a GR Corolla new for what it sells at.

I'm not surprised. I'm a new DSM owner. Good quality DSM's are on life support. A lot have rusted out frames and end up being gutted for parts. Mitsubishi pulling out of making sports cars mean they stopped manufacturing a lot of OEM replacement parts for the 4G63T cars. A lot of DSM owners used to get Evo 8 parts to replace their engine components and those are also going extinct. Even the regional sections of EvolutionM are dead.

Mitsubishi sports cars and tuner cars in general are a dying breed. Of course Subaru and Honda are active; they still make the Civic SI, WRX and now they even have a Civic Type R.

Clean GSX's in manual transmission without rust and an OEM engine/transmission will be worth $40k to $50k in 10 years. Think about it, The Fast and the Furious is literally a tuner/street racing iconic movie and they still make movies. Why would Vin Diesel stop? Fast X made $700+ million. It was a domestic flop but did 2:1 internationally so they'll get a chance to redeem themselves. That's at least until 2030 that the franchise is pulling more people in to watch the first one. And every time people watch the first movie, there it is, the green Eclipse with Paul Walker. The best scenes in the movie had that car. The better street race, the running from cops with Dom and then the NOS explosion. I mean, this car is going to be the tuner version of the GT500 from Gone in 60 Seconds.

My bold prediction? The Eclipse will be worth more than a Supra TT one day. Wanna know why? Because you can import a Supra TT from Japan. They made it there all the way up to 2002. But DSM vehicles weren't available in Japan. What's more is the 2G Eclipse was only made from 95 to 99. The Supra MKIV had the same amount of years in the US (3 since the Turbo wasn't available in 1998 in California) but was made in Japan up to 2002.

Anyway, very long post. Point of it is, don't sell your DSM, especially if it's a GSX or GS-T because the turbo examples will be worth big money in the future. Especially if you keep it running and everyone else keeps dumping forged internals and huge turbos on theirs and blowing them up. Maybe Vin Diesel should've screamed, "Crank walk!"

The worth in dollars is a very dynamic quantity. For someone (make that two people) who are wealthy & looking that day, and decide: gee, that looks neat- I want it. Then there can be a very great specimen that unfortunately lists when nobody with money is really looking.

I have realized that had I waited for a better car to start with, and paid twice as much, I would have likely spent only half as much by now with a lot more time behind the wheel, vs. under the hood.

Wise and true words that only come from experience.

I have realized that had I waited for a better car to start with, and paid twice as much, I would have likely spent only half as much by now with a lot more time behind the wheel, vs. under the hood.
Couldn't have said it better! The younger they are the more they have to have it "right now" when they see a cool looking car and the more their $ burns in their pocket to make sure that happens.

Seems like a bit of a project...https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-eagle-talon-11/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-11-16#comments-anchor
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I figure I would keep this thread going for all of us to either drool or "hell no". :dsm::thumb::notgood:

If anyone's willing to offer me $40-$50k in 2033 dollars for my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual that's mostly rust and issue-free (and should be completely so after one more round of restorations planned for next year) after several years of careful restoration then I'd gladly consider the offer. :thumb:

If that’s the price now, imagine what it’ll be in five years when interest rates settle down, there’s even less OEM GSX parts floating around, they stop making the GRC and more DSM’s are scrapped for parts or junk after their owner blows them up. Keep in mind, even though it was a 420A in the movie, the plot accurate “hero car” from the most influential auto enthusiast movie of the 21st century was meant to be a GSX. It’s argued to be more memorable than the Supra and I don’t disagree, Supra had only two “races” while the Eclipse had “the” race, the famous stadium scene and the getaway drive.

If you wanna cash out, that’s fine, but don’t come back and cry when they’re going for $100k about how “man I had one and sold it for $15k so and so years ago.”

The car that was the initial subject of this thread sold for 5k. :hmm:
It certainly wasn’t perfect (rebuilt title), but that seems low to me. Meanwhile, there is a low-mileage 2000 Integra with a whopping factory rated 130 lbft of torque that jumped to $40k on the first day. Puzzle me that?

The car that was the initial subject of this thread sold for 5k. :hmm:
It certainly wasn’t perfect (rebuilt title), but that seems low to me. Meanwhile, there is a low-mileage 2000 Integra with a whopping factory rated 130 lbft of torque that jumped to $40k on the first day. Puzzle me that?
What are you talking about? The original car posted reached $25k and then the seller pulled it from the auction because he started hearing drivetrain noises. It hasn’t been listed since? And it has a clean title?
And source in the Integra? There hasn’t been an Integra for more than $25k on BAT since over a year ago.

Well, in my head it all made sense. It wasn’t the original subject of this post ( which I did write, but was mistaken). it was the one in post #9; a 91 Talon.
But the integra is here:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-acura-integra-type-r-66/, and the bid still stands at $40k. I don’t see any way that is “Worth It”.

Well, in my head it all made sense. It wasn’t the original subject of this post ( which I did write, but was mistaken). it was the one in post #9; a 91 Talon.
But the integra is here:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-acura-integra-type-r-66/, and the bid still stands at $40k. I don’t see any way that is “Worth It”.
It’s a collector car. And it was rare even when it released. It’s the same reason a 1968 Shelby GT500 is worth like $200,000 even though it’s significantly slower than a similar generation Corvette 427. The 1969 Corvette had a 0-60 of 5.2 compared to 6.0+ from the Shelby. Hell it wasn’t even the fastest Shelby of its time.

And like I said above, Eclipse will have its time. When Vin Diesel retires, there will be reflection back on the films and the cars of the films will be recognized.

Beyond that, keep in mind the DC2 Integra Type R is the holy grail of Honda collectors. It’s more prized than even an S2000 or NSX. Mitsubishi collectors have a holy grail already, it’s the Evo 8 or Evo 9.

So clean, so clean... Reminds me of when I first got my previous car. It was Barcelona Red with 2 tone black interior. One of the cops that worked security at a country club that I was bartending weddings at, told me about this auto locator service. The guy was having a hard time finding one at the auctions and black GST and a white GSX got out bid from under him, but he ended up finding the one out of Tennessee with 26k miles on it and no rust. I was driving on the highway going home, and I came across that exact car being hauled on a trailer. I drove with it for a while before my exit. Turned out to be my car coming in. The guy called me the next day and told me that my car was in and I needed to come check it out. Closest car I ever had to being brand new. Wish I had treated that car better, but it was a victim of the "how do i get to 500hp" mentality during my younger years.

Last edited:
LOL "but it was a victim of the "how do I get to 500hp" during my younger years." Been there with our 88 IROC. I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

LOL "but it was a victim of the "how do I get to 500hp" during my younger years." Been there with our 88 IROC. I just couldn't leave well enough alone.
I would glady ignore basic maintainence for a new speed mod. Oil leaks will fix themselves. Check engine light finally goes off after 2 month? Ah... the problem mustve fixed itself. :sneaky: Who needs a upgraded clutch or brakes when you could go faster.. :D Gawd, i was just a dummy with all the money i threw away..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back