The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Worst newbie/riceboy question ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIAWDTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2002
Greensburg, Kentucky
:confused:

I keep seeing all these people running around with the "Afterburner" LED tip for their exhaust. I remember my uncle telling me back in the day they used to put a spark plug in the tip and wire it to the distributor so it would spark and ignite the unburnt fuel coming out. This produced fire from the exhaust. Now I know this is such a "riceboy" question, but has anyone done anything like this to a DSM? Is it even possible, since we are distributor-less? Please excuse my spelling for I am at work and about half drunk OMG I would like to wire it to a switch so I could flip it right before a race, not run it all the time. Saw something like it on Monster Garage where Jesse James turned a mustang into a lawn mower with flaming side pipes. They added propane to make more fire, but I don't need all that. Just a little something for everone to look at, other than my taillights. And please, take it easy on me, I know this is a silly question.

there have been a few threads i've read on this very subject... can't remember if it was at talk or tuners - search them both i guess. from what i remember it can be done - i'd like to do it myself - haha - would be a GREAT way to deter tailgaters

i saw the same thing on monster car garrage!

I searched good for "flaming exhaust" and "exhaust flames" and i couldnt find anything

there is a kit for sale.I dont remeber who sells it but it was in a catalog for street rodders.You can get them to shoot flames 25 to 50 is what a guy at a street rod show told me.Sounds like a good thing to roast rice on a open flame :)

Originally posted by Antonio_bigbob
is this safee???????

has ne one done this????

thanx

Safe how? It wont damage your car. If someone or something is behind your car that's a different story.

y doesn't evrybody do this. it seems really kool. and for sure it won't damage u'r car???????

has ne one tried this on this bored or knows ne one who has????/
thanks

Spoke with my boss on the subject, we are going to draw up a sketch involving a hand held propane torch for extra flame. Torch is going to be located in the glovebox, with a toggle switch for the fire. Should be fairly easy from what he says, and not to expensive. The propane will allow for good fire without having to run the car rich. You can also adjust how much fire comes out with the valve on the torch. I will post some pics when we get through.

Originally posted by TSIAWDTalon
Spoke with my boss on the subject, we are going to draw up a sketch involving a hand held propane torch for extra flame. Torch is going to be located in the glovebox, with a toggle switch for the fire. Should be fairly easy from what he says, and not to expensive. The propane will allow for good fire without having to run the car rich. You can also adjust how much fire comes out with the valve on the torch. I will post some pics when we get through.

From what I hear you don't need to run the car an richer than normal for it to create a flame. Where I live I'm not required to run a catalytic converter which would help to make a bigger flame. I personally think you should try the spark plug idea before you go through all the trouble of using a torch which you'll have to refill or replace anyway.

I tried doing this about a month ago. I tried using a spark plug and running wire to my battery line so the plug would spark the exhaust when the car was running. To no avail it didn't work, my brother told me that the 12v battery isn't strong enough to run the sparkplug and I need to get a coil to hook the wire into. Now that I see there is a kit, I might just get it instead of trying to do it myself. If I figure out a way to do it without purchasing a kit I'll post it.

Oh yes I forgot to say that you would need a coil as well. If the 12 volts were strong enough to spark it then you wouldn't need coils for your engine.

I've actually seen how it happens.. don't know how they do it tho... in japan, some ppl put a long exhaust tip on their cars to do this, so their rear bumpers don't get burned from the flame. I've seen a kit for sale in one of japanese magazine, too... i'll post again if i can find the add.

My sisters boyfriend has a homemade "flamethrower" kit on his 1959 Galaxie. Works great, though a little hard to see in the day time, has it running off of a switch in the cabin so to only activate it when he wants too.
It wont damage you car at all unless your exhaust tip is for some reason blocked by your back bumper cover or anything like that. You wont need the propane torch, just a waste of time and energy IMO.

Yes there is something that does it. If you want a real profomance thing that does it its called a MFS. Missfiring System... Those will cost you a lot of money. And they can be rather annoying but depending on the type of racing you can get one. They also make it for the Lancer Evolution III and has been shown on such anime shows as Initial D. WHich i recommend everyone watch some day... and no its not a little kid cartoon. Even my brother who hates anime loves Initial D. But yes now if you read superstreet and other crappy mags like that you can find a system that replicates the MFS. But doesnt add Hp just for all show. *sigh* well its i think 200 - 400.

Originally posted by Antonio_bigbob
y doesn't evrybody do this. it seems really kool. and for sure it won't damage u'r car???????

has ne one tried this on this bored or knows ne one who has????/
thanks

well it is kinda illegal... like not street legal.... but anyways.... hehehe MFS are awesome!!

Another thing to consider is, the 12volt battery can't spark a big plug, but if you get a small lawnmower plug and make the gap something like .020 I think the battery would work without a coil...I guess I'll have to try it now.

Here, try this website out...... www.autoloc.com I have an ad in this magazine im looking at that's called, "The Flame Thrower" which shoots up to 20 ft. of flames out of your exhaust pipe. It says only $99.00 looks cool, try it out! *** For off-road use only***

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back