The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Worst Day ever of my life..my DSM died on me today

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW, I bought a used 90K 6 bolt shortblock for $200... this is where doing your homework and having friends pays off. You can also get "shaken" JDM engines (usually 6 bolts) from various vendors for $1200-1600 or so. Just a couple of ideas that might help you out.

BTW, My GST trapped 105 MPH top of 3rd at the track, the gearing is vastly different from my AWD, FWIW. My GSX I'm in 4th when I go through the traps.

Here's one place, you can start from there: http://www.nippon-motors.com/Performance Engines.htm

"SHAKEN", btw is not "shaken" as in "shaken but not stirred"...;)

no i dont think theres anything wong with it, try asking him some questions like so why you getting rid of the head. it maybe becasue he got a 6 bolt in it. and plus 300 for a rebuilt one 225 for one with some mileage no i dont think hes ripping you off.

Whoa you seem like you didnt get none today. You wouldnt know jack shit about what happened that day. Dont ever tell me to sell my car and buy a civic. That is something i would never do, if someone gave me a civic for free..id sell it..youll never see me driving those cars. I was redlining in 3rd around 7500 RPM and with full force i tried to shift it in 4th..since i was well aware that my 4th gear is hard sometimes..but no it shifted in 2nd like i was expecting..it is a damn clutch which ill be replacing. Im most likely a better driver than you and maybe if you drove my car..youd shift into 2nd too.

Yeah, if you knew it was going to go into 2nd and it's already bad, why are you making 7500rpm shifts? If you knew it was gonna go into 2nd, why the #### you shift it.

Most likely a better driver than me? Coming from the guy making 7500 rpm shifts on a t-25 with stock cams. Yes, that just exudes credibility.

It's not people who dont know dick about cars that pisses me off. It's people that act like they do, and act like they are driving race cars, and then wonder why their car is all ####ed up after they do something stupid. Sorry, i will tell you again. A bad clutch will not make you shift into second instead of fourth, ever.

If you cant do a compression test yourself (come on it's as easy as changing a SPARK PLUG!), or check the timing, you probably shouldn't own a DSM.

Well, you can claim you're a better driver than me, our local SCCA is starting up here soon for the season. You're welcome to come prove it anytime. Just dont make any ridiculous excuses if you lose this time.

alright look man he mis shifted leave the guy alone. quit hijacking the thread to call him a moron.

First, Hazard you need to get off your high horse. Beginners make mistakes, I did. And I still do. And talking about joining any kind league is stupid considering you have a FWD DSM.

Second, I suggest you get a new head and replace it yourself, THEN take it to a mechanic or a dealership to get timed.

Third, Its a shame you are so far away. I could get you stock valves for $9 a peice, then I would have rebuit your head for free. I NEVER EVERY charge fellow car club members or DSMers, for any work I do on thier cars. Rather I teach them how to do it themselves, my only pay back is that if I ever need extra hands when I'm working on my cars they help me for free.

Ok

Buy the used head
buy a set of ARP studs
Buy a head set (composite HG, you have no need for the steel one, you're just going to risk pushing coolant with it)

Sell the galant valve cover on ebay for ~80 bucks

Do the install yourself, learn something! If you cant figure out how to do this job yourself, you need to stop beating on the car, unless you are rich or have very rich parents who will keep spending thousands of dollars fixing it.

While you've got everything apart, take the opportunity to clean out the throttle body real good, maybe even do some port work on the exhaust. There's a lot of little shit you can do

First, Hazard you need to get off your high horse. Beginners make mistakes, I did. And I still do. And talking about joining any kind league is stupid considering you have a FWD DSM.

i've owned and driven plenty of awd's
:p

my favorite part about this is that its not his fault. The car mis-shifted haha. Someone is in denial. Ya buddy you f*'d up. Rather well. My friend did this in his civic. haha, all we saw was the tach shoot past 9 and just in time he pushed in the clutch. Not sure why the clutch grabbed but its under warranty so i think he'd be ok. He never beat on his car like he used to after that happened. And if the car had a clutch problem, you should've addressed this rather then drive it while its not right. This is why people think dsm's are unreliable because they drive them when they know there broke. Obviously the clutch didn't slip because it wouldn't have grabbed and broke your car. I wish i could feel sorry for you. But this is rediculous. Just accept it man you broke it. Now you can fix it and make it go ppppsssshhhhh again. ;)

Originally posted by Hazard
i've owned and driven plenty of awd's
:p
"Hazards Profile/Mod List"
Car: 90 Laser RS Turbo
Bolt-on Mods: Free mods, in maintainance process
Engine Internals:
Suspension:
Wheels & Tires: stock
Wishlist: Just gonna do whatever comes along cheap, no goals for this old wwd laser

Gee, what a mod list to "OWN" an AWD. I have both a turbo FWD and a turbo AWD DSM. Drag wise the AWD has the launch and about 2 seconds less. Road Race wise, and I've driven at the Nurburring. The FWD has severe Understeer, well at least compared to AWD. So when you tell me you owned an AWD, I'm gonna throw up the BS sign.

Holy Cow i feel so terrible now. I step out for like a few hours and damn all these replies. Ok man its all my fault this happened, and even if it is, im certainly not happy about it :cry: . Yes some of it maybe my fault, but its not like i mean to shift in 2nd on purpose just so i could blow something. And if u dont believe me, yur welcome to talk to my mechanic who told me time is soon till he advises me to get a new tranny because 4th is grinding alot and sometimes it is impossible to shift in 4th quick. I appreciate some of you like really making me feel terrible because i already feel terrible enough about all this, i mean if i had never went boost crazy, this would have never happened. I guess i have learned my lesson..but atleast ive learned a thing or two from some of yall. Thanks alot for being a great help. :thumb:

By the way UPDATE: Pistons are fine, i will get my car back saturday up and running. Head has been sent to the shop to be rebuilt and my mechanic is gonan make me pay less than what he asked. :thumb:

LOL quit being a ####y with your your making me feel terrible speech. guys odnt have feelings :thumb: :laugh: j/m

Gee, what a mod list to "OWN" an AWD. I have both a turbo FWD and a turbo AWD DSM. Drag wise the AWD has the launch and about 2 seconds less. Road Race wise, and I've driven at the Nurburring. The FWD has severe Understeer, well at least compared to AWD. So when you tell me you owned an AWD, I'm gonna throw up the BS sign.

Um, hey captain dipshit. Owned as in "have had the title to the car in my name", not as in "LOL I OWNED YOU".

and, do you serioiusly think AWD cars are TWO SECONDS FASTER stock vs. the FWD cars?! Free mods + hallman + exhaust has put me in high 13's in a previous FWD, without any tuning. just a lot of maintainance.

next?

LOL with ltos of maintenance. so youre a hypocrite then right because alls i have is free mods and i dont have lots of maintanence just oil changes. trying to say you dont beat on your car then come up with that response. :thumbdown

Originally posted by 97ClipseDSM
By the way UPDATE: Pistons are fine, i will get my car back saturday up and running. Head has been sent to the shop to be rebuilt and my mechanic is gonan make me pay less than what he asked. :thumb:

Hey, that's great news! Congrats! I bet you're feeling much better???

See? Told ya you wouldn't "need a whole new engine." :thumb:

Just be sure to have that shifter/problem looked into too. Have you played with the shifter at all? Such as installing a symborski kit... or short shifter... etc.?

LOL with ltos of maintenance. so youre a hypocrite then right because alls i have is free mods and i dont have lots of maintanence just oil changes. trying to say you dont beat on your car then come up with that response.

Preventive maintainance, such as replacing ball joints, timing belt job, bushings, etc etc. fixing a problem before it happens. The only thing i've had go really wrong was a seperated crank pulley/dead alternator. shit happens.

it's cool man im just stirring the pot now this thread is done.

wheres my lock smiley.

I gave some decent advice up above!

And I flog the piss out of my cars, owning a DSM turned me into a mechanic, and my basic point in this thread is that the owner of this car needs to do the same. If you want to take a boosted dsm, beat the shit out of it, and modify it, you better be prepared to fix the basic problems like these yourself, and have a basic diagnostic knowledge. It's not hard to read some forums to get a basic knowledge.

Well, a reccomendation. Dont rev your car that high in the future, with your cams and a t-25, it's useless. Also, dont beat a car that's already broken, obvioulsy. Especially if you have to take it to a mechanic every time something stupid breaks.

Well, unless you have the money to be a pocket tuner, but in that case you wouldn't have came in here acting like you were on the verge of having a coronary from the prices your mechanic was tossing at you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back