The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Wont start after turning on AC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecl91gsx

Probationary Member
Jul 15, 2008
cortlandt manor, New_York
I have a 1992 eagle talon tsi Auto. The ecu was bad so I temporarily replaced it with a spare one (from a manual car of the same year). The car ran fine, until I turned on the AC. This caused the car to turn off and it would not start back up. I heard clicking and the gauge lights would not light back up (no check engine lights or anything). Assuming that it ruined my ecu, I opened up the ecu and saw a small brown mark around the capacitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like its time to replace the ecu with a repaired one or have it repaired, that should take care of that problem, no cel chances are the ecu is bad since you already know that. Send it off to a repair shop that does ecu repairs like ecmtuning.

I did send out the original ecu to get repaired .. In the mean time I put in a spare ecu (from a manual car of the same year) and that's when the car died when I turned on the AC. Do u think something from the AC is shorting out which caused my ecu to burnout? I don't want this same problem to happen when I install the repaired ecu?

^ its possible but the pulley still turns even without the a/c on. Its only when the clutch is engaged that the a/c pump will work. But it could be the pump is ceased and once the clutch is engaged its to much force on the motor and stalls it. I don't know I've seen stranger LOL. It could also be related to ecu for some reason doesn't have the a/c component to it. But I think I would lean more towards something with the a/c compressor and its sensor telling the ecu its on, which will help keep the idle up so the car doesn't stall. Which sounds right since you found a burnt capacitor! So something in that track is causing your issue, so I would definitely start there. And figure out before installing your new ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back