The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Wont rev past 7k

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91BlackLaser

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2006
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey guys. I need help i am confused out of my mind about this issue. The car refuses to rev past 7k no matter what i do. It stopped everytime as if it was a preset rev limiter. no matter weather its a free rev or under load. also after it hits this rev limiter it sputters for a few seconds after i change gears. The only sensor that i know that is having issue is the coolant temp sensor for the ecu. Can someone please help me cause i am at a loss. The rev limiter in the aem is set to 9k.

set up is
aem ems
1g
2.4l
1600cc injectors
dynatec arc2
stock coils and ignitor
plugs gapped to .28

Have you thought that you might be floating valves? If your revving that high all the time you need to change valve springs atleast every other year. I used to pit crew for a friend running pro NHRA in a 62 Impala SS with a 355 that wound out 9,200rpm through the traps. We changed the valve springs on that car twice a year for peace of mind if nothing else. But normally they would be showing signs of fatigue and weren't passing their spring test anymore.

the car has dual valve springs in it and they are relatively new and valve float is usually not as consistent as what i have been experiencing

I disconnected the dynatek altogether and it still doesd the same thing

On a side note, cus I'm not sure whats causing you to stop at 7k at this point, ditch the dynatek. I was one of the first members here to run one and they are junk. I've never had one last more than a couple thousand miles. I've burnt out 4 or 5 since I've had mine, 2 of them this year alone. Not worth the headache. Yea its great when it works but not after only a couple thousand miles and it fails to send spark signals.

What do your a/f ratios look like at 7k? Sounds like you're loosing spark because of a week ignition system or running out of fuel.

Edit test your stock coil pack and wires. Sounds like that could be your problem.

Well the dynatec hasn't been bad to me so I won't scrap it just yet. But I will try a different coil pack. I know the wires are fine because they are also new and the plugs are also new.

Never had a problem with it. On my bike or my car. Sounds like some unrelated issue with your wiring

My car wasn't touched in terms of wiring so there's no harness side faults, and I purchased the dynatek wiring harness that is plug and play for a 2g dsm. I even sent the entire harness back the last time the box fried and had them test it. They said there were no issues with the harness. Its just a poor ignition box.

WEll after about 4 coil packs and i finally found one that works and has fixed the problem. Thank you guys for all your help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back