The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Won't go into any gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GettinPaper

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2009
Battle Ground, Washington
I checked my master cylinder and its not leaking and has full fluid. The slave cylinder is also fine i just replaced it 3 months ago and when im under the car and having a buddy press the clutch pedal the rod moves like its suppose too.. What could have happened?? Teeth on the pressure plate broke? Idk, and this is my daily.. i need to get it taken care of as soon as possible.. Thanks..

When you start the car and try to put it in gear does it just grind if so then its internal throw out bearing clutch plate you get the idea. I had a car that would go into gear bearly but wouldn't go more then 20mph and I did same checks the master cylinder the slave cylinder bled the air out of lines adjusted clutch and nothing worked so did the internals and now it works great and no issues. Ive also been reading and seems dsms have a lot of problems with the shift forks bending and the synchos gears internal but usually its just a standard clutch job. Ive seen on here if you drain your gear oil out and see a lot of metal flakes then that's bad. If you have some then that's normal I am leaning towards it probably just needs clutch maintance and you would be good to go but without the car in front of me that's just a guess from my mechanical background experiences. hopes it helps sorry to hear your dd is having trouble thought.

Well first thing you want to do is verify that the clutch is disengaging. What you need to do is put the car in 1st gear, press the clutch in all the way to the floor and try to start it. Make sure there is no one or nothing is in front of the car, E-brake engaged. When you crank the engine and the car jerks forward then you know that your clutch is not disengaging.

If the fluid is full then possibly all you have to do is bleed the clutch again. Open the cap on the clutch fluid reservoir, crack the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder loose and let gravity do its thing. Once you see a nice steady stream/drip of fluid close the valve and pump the clutch like 10 times, don't do it to fast but in a nice steady motion. Crack the bleeder valve loose again and let some more fluid run out. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir as you do this cause it can run out quick. Usually doing this a few times takes care of the bubble in the system. If you do this and the problem is still there then there are few other things you need to look at.

First you want to make sure that the master cylinder rod is adjusted properly. Looking at the master cylinder rod press on the clutch slowly and see how much paddle travel you have before the rod moves, if you have any free play in the paddle then the rod needs to be adjusted out. 1Gs also are known for having a problem with the paddle assembly where the paddle breaks loose from the tube that it attaches to. That tube runs across the top of the brake paddle over the where that master cylinder sits. I've seen where that paddle broke loose and only went down about a ¼ of the paddle travel so it still appeared to look like it's in the normal position so make sure when you do the paddle test that you pull the paddle up as far as it will go. Basically when you adjust the master rod you want to make sure that the ball end of the rod sits tight against the piston in the master cylinder and the other end you want the pin that goes through the fork to sit tight against the back side of the hole in the clutch paddle. If doing those few things does not fix the problem then you might have other issues like a bent or broken fork.

Check those few things and let us know how things go, hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first thing you want to do is verify that the clutch is disengaging. What you need to do is put the car in 1st gear, press the clutch in all the way to the floor and try to start it. Make sure there is no one or nothing is in front of the car, E-brake engaged. When you crank the engine and the car jerks forward then you know that your clutch is not disengaging.

If the fluid is full then possibly all you have to do is bleed the clutch again. Open the cap on the clutch fluid reservoir, crack the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder loose and let gravity do its thing. Once you see a nice steady stream/drip of fluid close the valve and pump the clutch like 10 times, don't do it to fast but in a nice steady motion. Crack the bleeder valve loose again and let some more fluid run out. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir as you do this cause it can run out quick. Usually doing this a few times takes care of the bubble in the system. If you do this and the problem is still there then there are few other things you need to look at.

First you want to make sure that the master cylinder rod is adjusted properly. Looking at the master cylinder rod press on the clutch slowly and see how much paddle travel you have before the rod moves, if you have any free play in the paddle then the rod needs to be adjusted out. 1Gs also are known for having a problem with the paddle assembly where the paddle breaks loose from the tube that it attaches to. That tube runs across the top of the brake paddle over the where that master cylinder sits. I've seen where that paddle broke loose and only went down about a ¼ of the paddle travel so it still appeared to look like it's in the normal position so make sure when you do the paddle test that you pull the paddle up as far as it will go. Basically when you adjust the master rod you want to make sure that the ball end of the rod sits tight against the piston in the master cylinder and the other end you want the pin that goes through the fork to sit tight against the back side of the hole in the clutch paddle. If doing those few things does not fix the problem then you might have other issues like a bent or broken fork.

Check those few things and let us know how things go, hope this helps.

It will go into all gears with the car off, and i have no idea how old the clutch is.. I have put 20,000 miles on it since i bought the car. And my car is at my buddies house so i can't verify if the clutch is disengaging. I don't know what you mean by the paddle breaks loose from the tube it attaches too?? Any help is appreciated.. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It will go into all gears with the car off, and i have no idea how old the clutch is.. I have put 20,000 miles on it since i bought the car. And my car is at my buddies how so i can't verify if the clutch is disengaging. I don't know what you mean by the paddle breaks loose from the tube it attaches too?? Any help is appreciated.. Thanks

Its under the dash. The petal assembly.

Once you start looking at things under the dash its pretty much self explanatory, just follow the steps in post #4 and you should be able to narrow it down to the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back