The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Wont Crank-95awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiri

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2012
clarksville, Tennessee
95 Talon Tsi Awd-Will not crank!!
-Has brand new DuraLast battery(yellow top),16G,550,255rewire,fpr,dsmlink, etc-rest in profile

I have tried like 4 times now, checked battery (then replaced with new), checked all fuses by clutch and under hood on passenger side.

Radio works, windows work, does system check when key is put in and turned. But does NOTHING but make a in cab click when try to crank. No signs of pump or starter

Please help! I searched here +google+yahoo and what not but were all "cranks but does not start" issues

Am I missing a potential relay or another fuse somewhere else?

check your ignition relay, this might have popped on you from a short somewhere. the relay is identified on the relay box inside your engine bay. normally its pink.

Checked the relay it was good and seated properly.

Unbelievable, two separate recent discussions... exact same problem. Cut and paste from the last answer I gave.

1. Starter issue: Without looking at your profile I'm assuming you have a 5 speed. The clicking you hear is a relay located under your radio. Not going into detail about how it works but your problem is your clutch switch. There are two switches on the clutch pedal assembly, unplug the upper one. You probably won't be able to see the switch, the connector is located on the front of the pedal assembly above the lower switch(I believe it is white). Boom now your car starts with the key, but you no longer need to have the clutch pushed in to start so keep that in mind.

If you car isn't a 5 speed, or this doesn't help let me know.

I work at a shop and we swap engines at least twice a week. And we get this problem all of the time.,,,and 8 times out of 10 its a ground problem corroded ground or starter signal wire (not a good contact)

There is a clip by your colant temp sensor with one wire in it coming from your starter wires.take car out of gear set parking brake and make a jumper from pos side of batt to that wire.starter should engage. If not check connection on starter. If all good but no responce from starter then it is a bad starter. If it responses then disconect white clutch switch. It is located all the way at the top of clutch assembly. With that disconnected you can start car without pushing the clutch in. Be careful not to start car in gear. It will also help keep pressure off of your thrust crank bearing when first starting. Hope this helps.

did you check your timing belt? mine wouldn't crank and it was a broken timing belt once... good luck

I would check battery to chassis ground location, and starter signal for any contact locations(melting, fraying, ect.)

I inherited a nightmare car half torn apart with a hacked harness and have a similar issue, 97 gsx automatic. Just redid battery cable lugs and traced cleaned and tightened grounds, but am not getting starter activation or fuel pump..

I also may have other issues with Underhood fuse box as a white w/black stripe heavy wire is cut and I'm unsure where is supposed to go, no witness wires laying around it might have gone to. Any help appreciated, Will try the jumper tomorrow.

Chris

Check your ecu grounds. I have the same problem in my 95 gst. Happened when I had my ecu socketed for ecmlink v3.

I inherited a nightmare car half torn apart with a hacked harness and have a similar issue, 97 gsx automatic. Just redid battery cable lugs and traced cleaned and tightened grounds, but am not getting starter activation or fuel pump..

I also may have other issues with Underhood fuse box as a white w/black stripe heavy wire is cut and I'm unsure where is supposed to go, no witness wires laying around it might have gone to. Any help appreciated, Will try the jumper tomorrow.

Chris

2g fuel pump does not prime upon key in ignition, the fuel pump gets a signal just like the injectors. You can turn the motor manually and test if it is working.

2g wiring
http://www.dsm-club.org/doc/pdf/2g/electrical/96_ELECTRICAL_WIRING.pdf

As for your no signal make sure that this connector that I am pointing to in the picture is connected.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok, I'll check that in the morning, hard to make out though. I did found a plug with two spade connectors, one was 90 degree to the other like T, wondering if that may be the one your pointing too...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back