The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

wondering if this is a good bottom build or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoggTalon

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
I wasyou womdering if thatyou is a good bottom end build and how long would it last me
H beams, mahle pistons, stock crank, brand new acl race bearings, new mahle rings. .025 mains and rods

I wasyou womdering if thatyou is a good bottom end build and how long would it last me
H beams, mahle pistons, stock crank, brand new acl race bearings, new mahle rings. .025 mains and rods

Is this a new or a used engine?

If new, then it sounds good. What are your goals?

If used, then what do the main and rod bearings look like? Any gouges or noticeable wear? Do the cylinder walls still have a good amount of cross-hatching left in them? Any Scratches or groves?

Its a new and my goal is get close to 400hp or little more

I guess its a fresh build

I'd be wary of using a cut crank. There's going to be a few who come out of the woods claiming it worked for them, but with cranks a dime a dozen, I wouldn't chance it. Even Bogus would recommend uncut.

You my friend are right. I broke a cut crank back in 2007 and never used another one again. Just my $.02 A used factory crank can be found for around 75.00 to 125.00 dollars;) http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/268533-broken-crankshaft.html

If you keep the crank at .010 under size or less than it will be fine. I much prefer a .010 fresh cut and polished crank to one with 150k+ miles on it. A good straightening, grinding and polishing and balancing will give you very good results.

If you keep the crank at .010 under size or less than it will be fine. I much prefer a .010 fresh cut and polished crank to one with 150k+ miles on it. A good straightening, grinding and polishing and balancing will give you very good results.

Yeah we all have to go with what makes us feel good:thumb: The one in my current setup has about 150,000 on it. I had it micropolished and cleaned. breaking that other crank early in the dsm game has made me shell shocked about turned cranks. Bryan I always value your input and if you say its okay to use one with minimum tolerance then its all good:)

Your trying to tell me you think it could be a broken crank or what are you saying

He's not saying your crank is broken. They are saying that in some cases using a crank after it has been cut that it has broke. If your crank has been polished an is still within spec you'll be fine.

How do you know if its looks good or not

Well it is really impossible to know if it will be a good engine or not. That is what happens when you buy random engines from random people. One would have to physically take it apart and measure everything to verify that it is a good engine. You can either take a chance on it and buy it like any used engine, build one yourself, or buy one from a shop that specializes in these engines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back