The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Withdrawing from racing at WTAC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerdrew

DSM Wiseman
Oct 5, 2007
Yokohama, Japan, Asia
Firstly I want to apologize to those who have followed and supported this project for so long I know you all wanted to see us do well in Australia but we decided to withdraw from racing at WTAC at least for now.

There are a million reasons, a very long story behind it but the basic summary is that we had a real struggle to get the car in condition to run, firstly we got murdered on the shipping from the US due to a shady shipping agent and that destroyed the first year budgets.

Then the car turned out to need a lot more work than I anticipated, this is where I screwed up the job scope creeped on the workshop like mad. We tried to run out there understaffed, under-budget and meanwhile our competition labored on smartly and the bar was raised continually. So we run a lap time in 2014 that could have fought for a win in 2012, but thats the way of racing you stay ahead or you get left behind.

After a lack luster performance the first year we lost our support from Yokohama tire. Deservingly so, as we did not show the potential of the car or even close. But to give you some idea what that meant to us, its $2300 a set for tires that do basically one lap. So without tire support, we are just simply playing outside our pay grade. WTAC is a very expensive event to run.

One of the final straws was that the regulations changed to put in a minimum weight of 20% less than your original car. What this meant in reality was that our competitors have min weights of 700 and 900kg while ours is 1050. I would like to think I design good aero but it gets hard to make up for 3-5 seconds a lap of weight. Even the lap time we ran last year with a very much sub optimal car, if we had a similar weight, you can just imagine. I support the rule makers and their reasons for the regs, we are just one of the unfortunate victims.

I hope someday we are in a better position, but my plan for now is to fix the car up on our own schedule and then decide what to do with it next. So sadly, for those that gave us so much support, it is just more waiting. I will post again when we have a future plan in place to do something with the car. I do feel a sense of pride anyway, to have thrown our hat in the ring at the top level for this kind of racing. To have raced the car my friends and I built under a tree on two continents.

As a side note, we did find a super ultra rare Holinger HML gearbox, which is probably the most exciting development for the car in a long time.

Thank you for everything,
Andrew Brilliant

Although we all had high hopes to see our platform in the spotlight well past it's prime and to have you prove year after year how versatile the DSM can be, I think those goals have already been well accomplished and you should be very proud for putting in the time and effort over the years to do what you have thus far. Regardless of your current competition participation status, I think this build and campaign has reinvigorated many of us to continue to want to maximize the 2G chassis! Many custom parts are still being developed in great part to you and others like Paul, Kevin, Kisner, etc. who give attention to the areas of these cars which the mass market focused retailers did not for fear of low margin sales. I love that innovation is still happening and that every season we are still seeing faster cars and new ideas!

It's absolutely amazing that a 210bhp econobox sports coupe from the 90s can be made competitive by a privately funded team to run with the touring and straight up race level cars that big sponsor dollars and OEM's create. While many of us have an idea in our heads of the "ultimate build" we'd like to create if we could, you didn't let anything stand in the way of shooting for the very top level and built an absolute monster! You've far surpassed what I thought possible twelve years ago when I got my first Talon and have proven that no matter what limitations a platform may have, with enough resolve and willpower, once can overcome most obstacles and become a champion!

I hope that you guys will find a series/level that works with your budget and availability and will still be able to compete with the car, but if not at least it's history will live on in these forum pages and our daydreams while tinkering in the garage. Thanks for sharing your ideas, fabrication experience, and encouragement and for showing all of us how capable these cars can be!

Sorry to hear about that Andrew, but I definitely understand the budget reasons.

Let me know if I can help out with the next set up you are planning for the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back